carnival tours in civitavecchia?

ehogan

I don't know if all the Freedom cruises will have two nights in Civitavecchia, but ours (March 14) does. It would be interesting to know if Carnival will be offering tours for the full day we are in port (the first day) since I understand there is not much to do in the city. Anyone heard anything?

I am going to try to call a Carnival rep, but my experience with them is that they don't really know that much about what actually happens at the ports.

If anyone has info, keep us posted.

Also, just out of curiosity, why are they spending 2 nights there?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if all the Freedom cruises will have two nights in Civitavecchia, but ours (March 14) does. It would be interesting to know if Carnival will be offering tours for the full day we are in port (the first day) since I understand there is not much to do in the city. Anyone heard anything?

I am going to try to call a Carnival rep, but my experience with them is that they don't really know that much about what actually happens at the ports.

If anyone has info, keep us posted.

Also, just out of curiosity, why are they spending 2 nights there?

I'd bet so that people can see more than a quick glance of Rome. There is nothing to see in Civit--it's a Port town. We've even had guides from Civit that say there's nothing there....Go to Rome...

• 3 weeks later...

Our April 19th-May 1 has the 2 days showing in port.

One of our sailing mates called Carnival today because it shows we back in Civ on 30th and still on 1st - and they said the ship comes in at 6am on the 30 and you can then stay on ship, take tours of Rome and come back, eat on ship etc., until formal disembark on the 1st. So it's really a 11 day cruise, but 12 days on the ship.

we think it takes a lot longer to restock the food etc., on the ship, so it's in port longer than you would see in say the Caribean where they come in and go back out same day.

Carnival does offer tours on the day of sailing (embarkation) as well as from ship (disembarkation) - the disembarking tours usually have to be booked on the cruise, not before, per what i've read.

Hope that answers what you were asking about

Hi everyone,

Mary Utah - thanks for the info.

As we have a full day in port on April 30th it would be good to either share transport to and from Rome that day and do your own thing - just meet up for the trip back to the ship. Or alternatively you could go there and back on the train - easier to do with no luggage!

As accommodation is expensive in Rome I think most people would prefer to come back to the ship to sleep and have breakfast the following morning.

For those people who might like to do a tour of Rome or the countryside you could take the ship's tours or get together with others to do a private tour.

Any other ideas would be welcomed. I was thinking of Cinque Terre but it does take over 3 hours on the train to La Spezia and then a boat from there between the five towns so perhaps that's not doable in a day. I know there are day tours from Livorno to Cinque Terre but Civitavecchia is a bit further away.

Joyce

Archived