Transportation from Barcelona airport

We are a party of 4 arriving pre-cruise to the Barcelona airport. Any suggestions on transportation from the airport to our hotel, Le Meridien on Las Ramblas? Should we just catch a taxi at the airport or is it better to pre-arrange a taxi ahead of time? I don't think we would want to take a bus or train with all our luggage. Also, any idea on approximate cost? Thanks for any imput.:)

Andy is correct, there are lots of taxis at the airport and securing one is very efficiently run. You stand in a line and they direct the taxi to you. They saw our luggage on the cart and called a van from the line, bypassing those with only a few bags. We did have a problem getting a van from LeMeridien to the port and ended up cramped in a smaller taxi (good thing the port isn't a long drive). Make sure to ask the concierge to reserve a van at a specific time for your drive to the port.

We really liked the LeMeridien . . . its located right in the middle of Las Ramblas. Walk out the door and turn right to the Gothic area and harbor, or left to Catalunya. Make sure to visit Mercot de la Boqueria (the market), which is about a block to the right of the hotel. The displays of fresh fruits, vegetables, and candy were wonderful. The meat and fish sections were a little to graphic for my taste :)

To see pictures of Barcelona, click the link in my signature. Barcelona is at the bottom of page 3.

We took a cab from the airport to our Barcelona hotel last year and it worked fine. The 25 euro figure is correct. One suggestion is to print out the name and address of your hotel to show to the driver, it makes it easy if the driver is not fluent in English and you don't speak Spanish.

I would also echo the other comments. Taxis in Barcelona are clean, safe, and very efficient. Some even accept credit cards! Even if the driver does not understand English, he/she will understand Meridian Hotel. I also agree with the others that the Meridian is a very good hotel in an absolutely perfect location.

Hank

Hi:

My DH and I have reserved a private taxi to pick us up at the airport in Barcelona. For up to 4 persons and baggage, the price is 40E. And for the same company, you can order a pickup at your hotel to take you to the pier for 30E.

This is with Angie's Taxi. Contact her at angietaxi33@yahoo.com

She is very fast with her confirmation replys.

Canadian Snowbird.

We used Angie in 2004 to go from the airport to the hotel, also from the hotel to the port and at the end of the cruise from the port to the airport. She was very reliable and I highly reccommend her.

I just can't see the point of private cars in Bracelona. We haven't always thought like this as the first time we went to Barcelona we hired one.

It didn't turn up and no one was answering the numbers we had been given, so we just walked along and picked up a cab, and have done so ever since.

We use Angie's taxi last year and they were wonderful. Our flight was late and then one piece of luggage was missing but after over an hour someone was still there to take us to Hotel Majestic. They also took us to the pier, picked us up on our return and back to the hotel and then again in early am for flight home...Drivers were professional, on time and well worth the little extra $s, imho

We used the airporter bus last year both from and to the airport - the bus stops at the top of Las Ramblas (in Placa Catalunya, right next to the department store) which is about a block away from the Meridian hotel (we stayed there in 1999 and it is a lovely hotel with a great breakfast) I can't remember the cost of the bus, but it is quite reasonable. You catch the bus right outside the airport arrival area where they have maps that show the route of the bus.

If you decide to do this, I would suggest that you stay close to your baggage (there is a central area where you keep the bags). Someone did walk off with one of our bags, but we caught up to them. I don't know if it was intentional but we suspect it was - my husband had a pickpocketing attempt at the same time so we think it was a diversion.

In general, watch yourself in Barcelona, in our 28 day trip to Europe, we had two pickpocketing attempts (one on the bus and one on the Metro) in Barcelona, none anywhere else. We had heard bad things about Rome, but had nothing but wonderful experiences there.

WEAR A MONEY BELT!!! under your clothing and set it up before you leave home and have it on properly before you land! I can't stress how important this is. We were lucky but I heard many stories of those who weren't.

Thank you so much for the info. One more - do the taxis hold 4 people and luggage or do we have to get a van? Are the vans more money? I'm also glad to hear that you liked the Le Meridien. We are just staying one night pre cruise. Also, does it make sense to check in on the cruise ship (Millenium) early and then go back into Barcelona? :)

Archived