July 2, 06 Black sea handicapped cabin request

cruzangirl

Does anyone know someone on the Nautica on July 2nd with a handicapped cabin? We have a higher level cabin and I am recovering from a broken ankle (still in a brace most days). I am a little unstable on my feet and would love to trade with someone to have one of the handicapped rooms of the same grade, if they would like a 7th floor cabin instead of their 4th floor cabin.

Thanks in advance for your ideas-

cruzangirl

Did you try calling Oceania? I had booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean a few years ago. A month before sailing, I broke my ankle and was pretty much wheelchair bound at the time of the cruise (too much of a klutz to rely on crutches). I called RCCL and explained the situation - they had released all the handicapped cabins, but they saw one they had used as an upgrade and called the passenger and told him they were switching him to my cabin and giving me the handicapped one. RCCL's policy, of which the passenger was aware, was that able bodied passengers would be switched if a handicapped person needed the cabin. It worked out well and the person they had upgraded, was able to enjoy a similar balcony cabin (albeit one with less space). I knocked on his door to thank him and he told me he would much rather change cabins than to be in my shoes (or should I say wheelchair).

Benita is right, call Oceania..they will tell you to have your TA call..explain you did and she refused and tell them exactly what you want..if you want to email me privately I will give you a name to ask for at Oceania..

Jan

Hey Cruzangirl - sorry to hear about the broken ankle. I guess that's why we haven't heard much from you lately. I don't have a HC room to give up, but I hope we will get a chance to meet up on board. I hope you are still able to get around with your family. This is our first cruise on Oceania, but I know on other cruises the staff have been very accommodating to those who needed to get around on crutches and wheelchairs. We will see you in Athens.

Take care.

Hi Artichoke-

Sorry I've been out of touch. The ankle has had me down and challenged for a bit, but I'm not out. I've gotten off the crutches and down to a small brace, but I'm still a bit off kilter and would feel more stable in a shower with handles etc. I'm doing great, just cautious and swell easily. Can't wait to meet everyone! Dr Wong gave me a great list of suggestions for packing and I'm soliciting more. Anyone have any favorite things to pack that we might not think about??

Cruzangirl

I hope this week will bring rapid recovery. One item that I would suggest, that we have been bringing on cruises for years and has worked great is a (I think 24 pocket) hanging shoe holder. Not for shoes though!! Almost all normal cabins (I've never made it to penthouse or large suite level) have very limited room in the bathrooms so we hang this on the inside of the bathroom door to hold all of our toiletries, shavers, etc. The clear plastic pockets on the outside face make everything easy to see and accessible. Your cabin attendant loves too it as it frees up the counter space in the bathroom and makes it easier to keep neat and clean. We got ours several years ago at Target. They fold up and take up very little space in your luggage. After we saw this suggestion posted several years ago we decided to try it and loved it. Everyone we have suggested it to has also thanked us for the suggestion.

Speedy recovery and see you in a couple of weeks. (As you can see I won't try to make "country club casual" suggestions :-)

Randy

Hi Cruzangirl! I'm just getting back to the boards after a week on business travel, and I see you're looking for a handicapped-accessible cabin. Oceania assigned us to #4028, which happens to be an accessible one. Ordinarily, I would have given it to you in the blink of an eye, but my wife found out on Tuesday that we're expecting our first addition to the family in late January/early February!!! (Which helps to explain her recent moodiness and late-night food cravings - we thought it would mean no more Oceania sailings in the near future, but FDR's posting on another string has reassured us that the three of us would be welcomed on a future cruise!)

One of the drawbacks of Judy's condition is occasional nausea - we had occupied #7002 on a previous cruise, and being that close to the bow made her a little queasy as the ship pitched up and down in heavy seas. She's concerned that she might be a little more sensitive to the ship's motion in her present condition, and was looking forward to having a cabin low and central on the ship.

Not to fear - I've told a certain well-known travel agent from this board :rolleyes: that we'll gladly give you our accessible cabin if Oceania can find us another cabin closer to the center of the ship than your forward stateroom at the bow. Right now, all the cabins are spoken for, but things might change by the time we board - I know the Concierge and one of the gals at the Reception Desk from previous cruises and they should be able to give us a cabin status update when we arrive.

And if we do end up switching cabins with you, I'll keep Judy plied with Saltine crackers if she starts to feel seasick - but your DH has to promise to take care of any midnight food runs! :D:D :D

See you in Athens!

Richard

Hi Richard-

Congratulations I had no idea that that certain TA was talking about you. You guys are very sweet. I know it will all work out. I'm actually doing really well, just tend to swell and ache after walking. Wearing a brace most of the time. I think it would be helpful to be in accessible cabin, but either way it will be fine. I feel Judy's pain on the nasea, so I'm bringing Bonine, ginger pills and patches (hate them but for emergency if nothing else works). Not sure what she can take, but might want to see if the ginger pills would be ok.

Can't wait to meet you guys. We get in on Saturday at 11am to Athens. Any suggestions for our one day/nite in town?

One day in Athens? Options are:

1) Pay Oceania for the transfers - let them take your luggage to the ship, while you take the Blue Line Metro train downtown for sightseeing and then the Green Line Metro to the port. Just make sure you're at the pier by 7 pm! Or ride Oceania's bus to the ship, and then take the Green Line Metro downtown and back (see below).

2) Take the X96 bus from the airport to Pireaus. Drop your luggage off at the pier, check in at the ship, and then take the Green Line Metro back into town. Disembark at Monastiriki and have lunch or an afternoon souvlaki at the famed Thanassis, right across from the Metro station Then head east to the Plaka market/bazaar or south to the Acropolis. Get your photos and then take the Metro back to the ship around 6 pm.

3) Hire a cab or driver to take you to the ship by way of downtown Athens. He can drive you to all the scenic spots and watch your luggage for you while you take photographs. Make sure you have an agreed-upon price before you let him store your suitcases in his trunk, however! Or you can pre-arrange a pickup with a reputable driver like George or Spiros, who have been recommended by other users on this board.

Given your physical condition, I think option #3 would probably work best for you - it's quite a climb to the top of the Acropolis, and the elevator is one of those industrial lifts you see at construction sites! :eek:

See you onboard - perhaps in our cabin! :p

Archived