Warnemunde Dock

Kane

Quick and easy question to someone who has been there: "Does the ship dock on the East or West side of the channel" :confused:

Reason: We would like to hop the train to Lubeck, and the connections to Rostock Hbf are much better on the West bank.

Perhaps I am directionally challenged, as I don't recall which side of the channel we docked, but when we were on Regatta, on 9-10-05, we docked at a terminal that was just a couple hundred feet from the the train station - an easy stroll. Actually, I do believe it was the West side - but can't be sure.

We took a commuter train from that station into the city, where my wife went shopping & browsing, and I rode a trolley (streetcar) out to the zoo.

For your information and my interest, I've just checked the homepage of Warnemunde port. It seems, that all passenger ships at Warnemunde dock near to the terminal.

Check the following links

list of ship calls at Warnemunde:

http://www.rostock-port.de/index.php?id=75&L=1

Description of cruise ship docks:

http://www.rostock-port.de/Description_of_Berths.83+B6Jkw9MQ__.0.html

Enjoy your visit to Germany: don't rush to Berlin, but relax at Warnemunde (nice beach, a lovely downtown) and Lubeck.

Ernst

Ernst:

This is exactly what I was looking for ... couldn't find the port map you referenced.

This makes the train connection really easy, with plenty of time to see Lubeck and get back for dinner ... hopefully at Toscana :rolleyes:

Ernst--

Thank you for the information. We were wondering how we were going to get to Rostock to pick up a rental car for the day. We were thinking of going west along the coast just to see some of the local scenery. Any other suggestions?

Ernst--

Thank you for the information. We were wondering how we were going to get to Rostock to pick up a rental car for the day. We were thinking of going west along the coast just to see some of the local scenery. Any other suggestions?

FWIW, when we were in Warnemunde last June I seem to recall that there was a car rental office at or near the tourist information office at the dock.

FWIW, when we were in Warnemunde last June I seem to recall that there was a car rental office at or near the tourist information office at the dock.

Thanks for the reply, Saulsberry, but we have already booked the car to be picked up in Rostock. I was just wondering if our plans to drive along the coast to the east was a good idea or would we be missing a lot of interesting scenery by not heading west? All suggestions will be appreciated.

Check the following links

list of ship calls at Warnemunde:

http://www.rostock-port.de/index.php?id=75&L=1

Description of cruise ship docks:

http://www.rostock-port.de/Description_of_Berths.83+B6Jkw9MQ__.0.html

Enjoy your visit to Germany: don't rush to Berlin, but relax at Warnemunde (nice beach, a lovely downtown) and Lubeck.

Thanks Ernst for the great links.. Would sure like to hear what others are doing rather than going to Berlin..

ME

I would highly recommend a visit to Lubeck, Rostock (beautiful towns from the middle age --> Hanse!) or just Warnemunde (nicely renovated twon with a nice beach just for a short walk).

Even a trip to the east of Warnemunde along the coast would grant a fine and interesting day.

On the one hand I can understand Americans visiting Berlin during a stay in Warnemunde, becaus you crosse the Atlantic and visit Europe. On the other hand I can't understand because there is so much effort to head for Berlin. Berlin is such a big city (for Germans ;-) ) you can't even scratch the surface of this town during a visit for just 5 or 6 hours.

@opheliaj You should ask your rental car station if they can pick you up at the Warnemunde cruise terminal too. So you won't lose an hour or so heading to Rostock.

Ernst

I would highly recommend a visit to Lubeck, Rostock (beautiful towns from the middle age --> Hanse!) or just Warnemunde (nicely renovated twon with a nice beach just for a short walk).

Even a trip to the east of Warnemunde along the coast would grant a fine and interesting day.

On the one hand I can understand Americans visiting Berlin during a stay in Warnemunde, becaus you crosse the Atlantic and visit Europe. On the other hand I can't understand because there is so much effort to head for Berlin. Berlin is such a big city (for Germans ;-) ) you can't even scratch the surface of this town during a visit for just 5 or 6 hours.

@opheliaj You should ask your rental car station if they can pick you up at the Warnemunde cruise terminal too. So you won't lose an hour or so heading to Rostock.

Ernst

Ernst:

Thanks for the information. We, too, thought the Berlin trip would be too much for one day and didn't want to be spending hours and hours on a bus to get there and back.

Also, thank you very much for the suggestion to have the car rental company pick us up at the dock. I will definitely check into that!

Marv, hi, this is Judy. Looking forward to seeing you and Kay. Hope all is well with you both.

Thanks, again, Ernst. Your information is very helpful.

Ernst is correct ... the train to Berlin doesn't really work out.

Our ship (Insignia) docks at 07:00 and, unless one can dash off to make the 08:02 train, you can't get to Berlin before noon. Not much of Berlin could be seen before having to think of heading back.

The next train would be at 08:37, arriving in Berlin at 12:36 ... much too late! This one requires a transfer at Bad Kleinen which, if one hops the RE21612 instead, gets to Lubeck before 11:00. This leaves a lot of time to see this old seat of the Hanseatic League and get back to the ship before sailing (you will miss tea ;) ).

Last year, when we visited Warnemunde, we had reserved a rental car in Rostock for going to Lubeck and other smaller towns along the coast. We took a taxi into Rostock and on the way our driver gave us a day price for his taxi and his services - Lubeck and all the places we wanted to go.

His price was better than two taxi trips, a rental car, parking fees and a tank of gas for the day plus he saved us a lot of time looking for parking in Lubeck, showed us a very good Rathskeller and gave us an interesting tour. He spoke very passable English and made it a great day. We saw many things that we would never have seen otherwise and had insight from him re. the days of East and West Germany.

This isn't something you can plan on to any degree but you might check the taxi line to see what is out there, especially if you have to go into Rostock to get the car.

Archived