Kauai-Kileaua lighthouse, waterfalls, and Poipu beach....

lomillerin

We are renting a car in Kauai on the first day there from POH. We dock at 10:00 a.m.

We want to drive to the lighthouse, see a few waterfalls (maybe the Fantasy Island and Jurassic Park ones-not sure if even possible) and then go to Poipu beach by 1:30 for the rest of the afternoon.

Is this possible?

You might want to change up the order in which you do them, but it is possible.

The lighthouse is the Northernmost point of the island and will take you between 45 minutes or so to drive there. REmember that you have to factor in your time for getting to the airport and picking up your car.

YOu could do the beach first, stay for a few hours and then drive up the east coast to the Lighthouse. IN fact, Wailua Falls could be seen on your way (a littl eoff the beaten path). I think the "Jurassic Park" waterfall can only be seen by helicopter (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong). Depending on what time of year you will be there, the sunset at Kileaua Lighthouse is supposed to be breathtaking (we're going in NOvember and Sceptic has informed me that I won't be able to see the sun set from that location at that time of year).

So, you could try and plan to be up by the lighthouse around dusk to watch the sunset!

KML

It is possible to see the Fantasy Island waterfall and the lighthouse in one day and go to Poipu beach but it would be a full day. The drive to the lighthouse takes a while since it is nearly all the way to the northern most point of the island but it is worth it. You have to pay a park entrance fee (less than $5 per person if I remember correctly) but the views are fantastic. The lighthouse isn't that big of a deal hey - - its a lighthouse) but the scenery around the lighthouse is spectacular. We even heard whales. Unfortunately we couldn't see them, they were between us and this little tiny island just off-coast and we couldn't see them but you could hear them clear as day. This area is also a bird sanctuary so keep your camera handy if you are in to watching birds.

The "Fantasy Island" waterfall is called Waimea Falls and it is really pretty, there is also another waterfall really close to it called Opeka'a Falls and it is within 10 minutes driving distance and it is really better than Waimea Falls because you can see it head on without any fences in the way, plus there is good parking there and easy access. Like I said, it is probably less than 10 minutes away by car from Waimea Falls. These falls were in the movie "Blue Hawaii" I think.

Poipu Beach is a really nice area although there isn't a ton of "beachy" type places (at least that I saw) where people were, mostly what I saw was rocks and hard surf and stuff like that. I saw a really nice beach at the very north part of the island across from the dry cave (which was TOTALLY awesome if you get a chance to go there) it was wide sandy with bathrooms and vendors set up and everything. I saw one little patch of sand on Poipu beach but there were like tons of people there. Maybe I just didn't go far enough. We went to see Spouting Horn and all we saw was the rock and hard stuff. (??) Maybe I was in the wrong area?? (I'm sure we were - - we were there for a week and tried to see everything although I know we didn't LOL) I thought the beach across from the dry caves was very nice though. The water seemed to be really calm. I think it was called Ha'ena Beach Park or something like that. Another good place on that side of the island is Hanalei Bay Beach. It was really pretty there. I'm not trying to talk you out of Poipu, I'm just saying there are good options on the same side of the island as the lighthouse that would save you some driving time.

The last poster was right about the Jurassic Park waterfall, you can only get to it by helicopter or by taking a boat. It is on the NaPali Coast and it cannot be accessed by car. You can only go so far on Kauai by car, you have to see the rest by either helicopter or boat. I HIGHLY recommend doing one of these tours though, you will not regret it. We did the snorkeling/sightseeing tour with Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures and it was the highlight of our week there. the trip wouldn't have been the same without it. It is unlike anything you've ever saw before. There are other tour operators that do the same type tour as well. If someone were to ask me "what is one thing that I shouldn't miss?" I would tell them the NaPali coast. It is so beautiful.

I think the lighthouse area is the prettiest spot on the planet, with breathtaking sea cliffs and so many birds.

I did a Napali coast boat tour on basically a large zodiac with roof covering. The snorkeling wasn't good but the coastline is so wonderful to see up close.

We pulled into some sea caves and under waterfalls, and saw a monk seal on the beach from a distance. You do get a decent view of the coastline from the NCL ships but it's from a distance.

Got back from our fantastic Pride of America cruise on June 10. We only rented a car for one of our days on Kauai. Drove the entire north Coast to Kee Beach at the start of the Napali Coast, stopping at several waterfalls, the beautiful Kileaua Lighthouse, and many many beaches and some caves. Then drove back to the Waimea Canyon for the incredible vistas there. Ended the day going to see Spouting Horn (it was really 'going off' while we were there!). The next day we saw everything from the air on our fanatastic flight. Beautiful clear day and just loved it! That evening the ship cruised by the Napali coastline and it was truly breathtaking! Would love to go back and take a catamaran ride along the Napali coast, and perhaps by then the Fern Grotto will have reopened and see that!

Thanks for all the information. I am trying to get this planned, but it overwhelming.

We are planning to rent a car on the first day in Kauai and go to the lighthouse, a few waterfalls, and really want to hang out at a beach for a few hours.

We are going on a Helicopter tour the next day at 10:00 a.m. and want to spend that afternoon on the ship, at the pool, etc... just resting.

So, we should scrap Poipu beach and go to the lighthouse or waterfalls first then a beach in that area.

But, what beach? We really would like some waves and possible somewhere to get lunch.

Can anyone give me a specific plan?

lomillerin- I am sorry if I missed this in another post, but when are you going? If it is going to be during the summer that will make a huge difference in what beaches are a good choice. The winter surf tends to be rougher, especially on the North side of the island. Now if you are going in the summer, I would check out Queen's Bath if I were you. It's not a beach, but more of a natural swimming hole created by a "lava bench" right at the ocean's edge. If you have the Kauai Revealed book it gives a great description and directions. Unfortunately, we are going in November and it probably will be too rough for Queen's Bath. It is one of those extremely cool places that will make your friends back home jealous when they see the pictures. It is right up in the Princeville area, so perfect for your plan. If you are going in the winter, you have to be VERY careful as Kauai and Maui seem to be the drowning capitols of the world. We are planning on going to Lydgate beach, which is ultra protected by breakwaters. But, I will also have kids with me. Ke'e Beach is recommended as the best for the North Shore in the Revealed book.

Bulldogmom- I had to tell you that because of the great things you said about Captain Andy's (in another post) I changed up our day and have now booked a dinner/sunset cruise with them on our long day in Kauai. We have decided to do this instead of tubing the ditch. It will also be Thanksgiving Day- what a memory it will be! We are going to go horseback riding in the morning and then do the cruise with Capt. Andy's (sidenote-my Mom's-who will be with us- nickname is Andy!). And the next day we are doing a helicopter tour and then Lydgate Beach for a little while. I think we will have FULLY appreciated the Na Pali Coast by the time we leave! (sailing past there in the after noon on POAM)

KML

I can assure you that anyone who goes with Captain Andy's will not be disappointed with them, we had a wonderful time. Whoever the previous poster was that said the snorkeling wasn't fantastic was right. Don't get me wrong, the water is swimming pool clear but nothing can compare to the Na Pali Coast! That is funny that your Mom's nickname is Andy because my husband's name is Andy! Be sure and book directly with Captain Andy's because I think you get a free t-shirt for each person in your party (or at least we did, I'd ask them if they are still running this special when you book) I know there are other companies that do this same tour but we had such a good time with Captain Andy's that I'd highly recommend them. If we ever go back I will know to see the Na Pali Coast every single way I can (except hiking it, and that is only because I'm too darn lazy to hike 12 miles in and 12 miles back out, not to mention to bad out of shape LOL ) by boat and helicopter.

As for lomillerin's questions.......yes, if I were you I would scrap the whole Poipu idea if you want to do the lighthouse thing, there are plenty of beautiful beaches all around Kauai. It seems like Ke'e Beach was like at the VERY end of the road going north (like the road literally just ends into a small parking area and you walk a short ways to the beach). I didn't visit Queen's Bath but we heard it was beautiful and I'm thinking that was near the north end of the island as well. If the previous poster is correct, you have to drive right thru Princeville to get to where you are going so everything will be in one area. If you could pick up one of those "Revealed" books that kml1211 was talking about it would probably tell you which beaches had food vendors available and stuff like that.

Queen's Bath is wonderful, but be warned that it is a real hike. You have to take a path, then literally walk down the side of a small waterfall, then walk across the lava shelf/beds. Wear good footwear (sturdy water sandals; no flip-flops or anything with a slick sole). It is on the way to Princeville. I don't think that we would try and tackle it again, but it really was an adventure.

Also, most beaches in Hawaii do not have food vendors right on the beach. Many do have food available just off the beach (such as Poipu where you can go across the street).

beachchick

I don't specifically want food right on the beach, but close, so we could put on shorts/shirts and go get a late lunch/snack/drink.

Very casual....

So, maybe we should just do the 2 waterfalls and then go Poipu??

Or go to Hanalei Bay and the Lighthouse?

Bulldogmom- I already have it booked and we did get the free t-shirts (gotta love that!). Our cruise is a sunset/dinner cruise, so we will not be snorkeling anyway! We are snorkeling in Kona- so I think we will have had our "really great snorkeling experience" (Fair Winds).

KML

Archived