"waitlisted" for excursions

dustythreads

Hello.

I didn't realize that excursions would sell out in advance. While completing my online forms, I attempted to book the excursions that I would like to enjoy while on my upcoming cruise. I have been waitlisted for both.

Doe anyone know the chances that I will be able to participate in the desired excursions? Do you think it would be wise to book "back up excursions" in case we do not get the first choice ones my party desires.

In case this information is needed to lend advice; We are a party of eight on the Crown sailing on July 20th. The excursons we are waitilisted on are the

-bioluminescence bay kayak adventure in P.R.

and

-the turtle cove sail and snorkel adventure in St. Thomas

Thank you so much for your advice and opinions.

I have been waitlisted then later confirmed on excursions before sailing. Its hard to say what will happen. I would book backups/alternatives as well as being on the waitlist. It doesnt hurt and you could always cancel any of them 24 hours prior to the port with no charg. At least then you would have at least your second choice and if the excursion you really wanted becomes available you could just cancel the backup excursion. If you dont have anything booked they might both be full by the time you are nearing the port. Hope I didnt confuse you....

At one point, I had three conflicting excursions booked for our August 19 cruise while we were deciding. All still had plenty of room left and I've since cancelled the ones we're not doing but I imagine there are others who have booked excursions knowing they can cancel up to 24 hours in advance (at least, that's how it was on the Grand last year.)

I hope you get the ones you want! Good luck!

When you get aboard and are exploring the ship, stop by the shore excursions desk. There should be a display that tells which excursions are booked up and which have openings. Many passengers will book several excursions at a time and will cancel some (any tickets you don't want, you can drop by the window at any time). As these open up, those on the waiting list will get first priority. Your room steward will give you an envelope with the tickets for any excursions you have made it on to.

One thing to consider is that you don't always have to go on a planned excursion at every port. Some (like us) will deliberately not plan anything and just go with the flow. I sometimes will narrow down sights ahead of the cruise using guidebooks and websites for info. A few times we have negotiated with a taxi driver and had a great impromptu tour of the port.

Why not check out the ports of call for your trip and look for similiar trips. We have had wonderful trips booked off the ship at each of the above ports. At first I was uneasy about booking off the ship, but soon realized these tour operators depend on word of mouth advertising, so they most often offer great trips at about half the cost of a ship excursion.

Archived