Verizon cell phones in Western Caribbean ports?

Hi everyone,

DH and I have Verizon cell phones (model LG 6000), and I e-mailed them about service in Ocho Rios, Labadee, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I was surprised at their response: "Service in The Caribbean is provided by Telecom. Since Verizon Wireless does not provide service, we cannot guarantee coverage or rates."

So I'll ask all of you who have Verizon: Can you please tell me if your phones worked while in these ports? Or should I contact Telecom (whoever they are)?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks very much!

Slightly related question, while on Explorer returning to Miami, the night before we arrived back in port I noticed a crew member sitting on deck talking on a cell phone. Apparently we were within range of the keys at that time.

Anybody know whether Verizon will work out there? I didn't ask the guy who his carrier was! :rolleyes:

Theron

You will be able to use your Verizon Wireless phone in the ports mentioned. Cozumel will work if you have a tri-mode phone. Since VZW (Verizon Wireless) does not have a roaming agreement in the other countries, you will have to pay telecom directly. If you contact them you will be able to set up a temp account before arriving.

While in Cozumel... here are some tips....

Calling to the U.S. or Canada from Mexico: Dial 001, plus the 10-digit number (includes area code)

Calling your voicemail: Dial 001, plus your 10-digit wireless number. Once in the voicemail platform, press # and your passcode.

For Cozumel make sure that you have International dialing turned on before you leave the US. You can dial *611 from your phone to activate that feature with Customer Service

VZW cannot help you much in the Caribbean much due to the absence of service agreements with these islands. You will be able to use your VZW phone in the USVI, and San Juan pretty easily...Those islands are part of their network.

Radio

;) ;)

Me and my wife went on a Western Caribbean cruise aboard VOS and we have a Tracfone. We were able to make calls to our family in Vermont from Labadee and Ocho Rios just fine. We were being charged for roaming fee's of course. Grand Cayman we had to get connected with Cuba Cell to make wireless long distance call and we were charged $40 for about a 6 minute call on your home phone bill. We never attempted to call from Cozumel,so we do not know how that would have worked out.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll go ahead and contact Telecom before we leave. We're just looking for a less-expensive way to check in with my mother while on the cruise.

Radio - just curious, why the name "Radio?" DH and I actually met when we both worked at the same radio station! ;)

Happy cruising all!

Radio, can you please tell me who exactly to call to activate an account with them for the Caribbean? Do I need to contact more than one company, one for each island?

I even looked into renting a satellite phone, but the $150/week pricetag seems hefty. For that price I'll just call from the ship! :)

Thanks again for your help.

Archived