Anyone on the Magica Dec. 17-23?

Hoosiergirls

We just booked this cruise! We are husband/Wife(46 & 36), 4 kids (15,13,13 & 9) and Dear Mother (Mature):) from northern Ohio.

We had booked a cruise on this ship in March, but were unable to go because of a medical emergency 3 days before we were to set sail.

So you can imagine, we are really looking forward to going.

We did a lot of research before booking in March, and spent countless hours in these threads in the 3 months before our sail date, so I almost feel like I have been on this ship before.

It looks like a great itinerary, Chris, (my wife) and I have been to, and enjoyed Key West and Cozumel, but the other ports will be new for us.

This will be the 1st cruise for our kids, and I envy them. I remember how cool my 1st cruise was. I can't wait to see thier faces when they see the ship.

Looking forward to talking with everyone!

Kurt

We just booked the Magica on 12/17 as well!

I am curious about some of the excursions (AND some that are not offered by the ship). We've already booked the the "Tulum and Xel-Ha-Lagoon" excursion from the ship in Cozumel which takes all day seeing some of the ruins on the mainland and some swim time as well. Anyone been on the Cave Tubing and Zip-Line tour in Belize? We missed the zip line in hawaii and want to try it on this cruise.

Thinking about booking a private cave tubing excursion - anyone up for joining us? I hve had trouble logging on to Costa for their excursion info and have just spent 10 minutes on hold!!!

Hey BambiRumsey!

I am one of the girls from Hoosiergirls that is also sailing on the Magica on December 17-23! There are 5 of us girls that are going (that includes me). Our ages are 26, 26, 26, 22, and 21. Me and one of my friends just sailed on the Costa Magica in March for Spring Break. We loved it! We love Costa. Toga night is the last night and is so much fun! In March, we went to Key West and Cozumel, so we are looking forward to seeing Belize and Honduras. I think a lot of people complain about different things on Costa (or on any cruise line for that matter), but we are really laid back girls and we don't get bothered by much. So we just stay in an inside room and don't mind it at all. I mean we are seriously only in our rooms long enough to sleep and get ready for the day/night.

We can't wait to go on this cruise! Especially since 2 of us were just on the Magica in March. It is a beautiful ship! And our waiter in the dining room was awesome! His name was Alviz Arvin. Try to look for him! He is the best!

Are there any excursions you are planning on doing?

We just booked this cruise! We are husband/Wife(46 & 36), 4 kids (15,13,13 & 9) and Dear Mother (Mature):) from northern Ohio.

We had booked a cruise on this ship in March, but were unable to go because of a medical emergency 3 days before we were to set sail.

So you can imagine, we are really looking forward to going.

We did a lot of research before booking in March, and spent countless hours in these threads in the 3 months before our sail date, so I almost feel like I have been on this ship before.

It looks like a great itinerary, Chris, (my wife) and I have been to, and enjoyed Key West and Cozumel, but the other ports will be new for us.

This will be the 1st cruise for our kids, and I envy them. I remember how cool my 1st cruise was. I can't wait to see thier faces when they see the ship.

Looking forward to talking with everyone!

Kurt

Hi, we are the family from the UK. Very similar to your party but just smaller! Two children - the girls are 12 and 9. Taking my mother with us too. Do you have girls or boys?

When my children did their first cruise, their faces were a picture. We were also travelling with my sister and her family and I will never forget my 10 year old nephew taking a walk around the ship for the first time, stopping and saying, "I think this is going to be the best week of my life!"

PT cruisers and I are on the same back-to-back.

Tracey

Hi everyone! Just booked yesterday - myself and 10 year old girl -- so looking forward to it! Sounds like there will be lots of other girls out there for my daughter. Never been on Costa before. Can't wait to start reading the tips.:)

For PTCruisers: one of my colleagues yesterday told me about the Cave tubing (he did it through Carnival) and said it was "creepy, but great". We'd LOVE to go -- party of 2.

You guys have made my week! SOOO happy there are people cruising with us!

For excursions here's what I have so far:

Roatan: the Tabyana Beach Break. Hannah is a great snorkeler but a lot of excursions from a boat have age restrictions on who they let snorkel. We're hoping we can do some shore snorkeling at this beach. Never been to Honduras before.

Fort Lauderdale: Our flight home is in the evening so I booked the everglades tour for when we get off the ship. Have never done this type of excursion before but I figure it beats sitting at the airport for 8+ hours AND they handle our luggage for us.

In Key West I think we might hit Pirate Soul. We've been there quite a few times and are past our partying prime so getting drunk at various bars (especially with a young child) is not really our thing. Plus it is a very short port call so I think ice cream and pirates will pass the time nicely.

If anyone is looking for jewelery though, Abaco Gold on Front Street has the most amazing one of a kind pieces I have ever seen. Really neat sutff, a lot of it made by local artists. We bought some diamond ear huggies there on the Majesty of the Seas last Thanksgiving. I want to go in and see if they have a necklace to match this trip!

In Cozumel we normally rent a jeep and drive around to various beach clubs and do our own thing. We were there in January and it was pretty much decimated by Wilma so we did the Fury Catamaran tour which was great. It sounds like Cozumel is getting back on its feet so we might do the jeep thing again. I'd love to do Tulum and Xel-Ha but I think I'll save that excursion for a cruise that hits the peninsula (Playa Del Carmen) since it is SUCH a long trip.

Belize I have no idea what we are doing. We've been twice. Once with Hannah when we had a bad experience with Coral Breeze (they left without us!) and the second time in January and we did the Goff's Caye excursion which was great even in the rain. I'd like to try a different Caye but the Costa site doesn't list much for that port so I think we'll need to book on board.

For those who have cruised Costa recently, how formal are the formal nights? How many sparkles on the ladies? Matt looks great in his tux but will be uncomfortable if more men are wearing suits or jackets.

Also tell me about the specialty restaurant. On some lines (HAL) it is not worth the money because the food in the main dining room is so good, on others (Disney) it is the only way to get a really good meal. Where does Costa fall on this scale? It's been 10 years since I have sailed them and they were not owned by Carnival then.....wondering what has changed.

Also - anyone know the age break down in the kids club? Is it 6-8 then 9-11 or 7-9 and 10-12? Just trying to get an idea if she will be one of the youngest or middle of the pack in her age group.

Hi, we are the family from the UK. Very similar to your party but just smaller! Two children - the girls are 12 and 9. Taking my mother with us too. Do you have girls or boys?

When my children did their first cruise, their faces were a picture. We were also travelling with my sister and her family and I will never forget my 10 year old nephew taking a walk around the ship for the first time, stopping and saying, "I think this is going to be the best week of my life!"

PT cruisers and I are on the same back-to-back.

Tracey

Hi Tracey, Yes we do have a couple of girls, Kat is 15 and Dee is 13. Our boys are Anthony-13 and Tyler who is 9. Since this is thier 1st cruise, it will be nice for them to meet some seasoned veterans. I am sure they will find it cool to meet travelers from the U.K. As the date gets closer, we will have to set up a meet and greet on the ship,My wife and I will be looking forward to meeting all of our ship mates.Kurt

Those of you who have replied with daughters around Katie's age (12) if you go into my website above (last time I posted my e-mail address on here years ago, I had to change it as I then got so much spam mail) and e-mail me, we can maybe arrange for the girls to chat by e-mail before the trip??

Tracey

Tracey,

I am Chris, Kurt's wife, and I just received your reply, except I am not sure how to get your e-mail address of the site, I would love for our girls to chat before hand, one is 13 and one is 15. Help me figure out how and I would love to.

chris:)

Chris, sorry, server problem. Should be up and running now.

Taf - emailed Costa and the drinks package you mentioned is £47.49 per person for the 7 night trip. I am going to get it for my husband - I'm not bothered about wine on cruises - I feel seasick enough without adding to it!!

Hope you are enjoying the Splendour,

Tracey

I contacted a couple of web based Cave Tubing sites -- they range from $90 pp to $45 pp. The best bet is to do it as a group of interested folks & negotiate the price; if there is a "bus load" they will allow for 2 caves instead of one and a stop for lunch, if requested. :cool:

I contacted a couple of web based Cave Tubing sites -- they range from $90 pp to $45 pp. The best bet is to do it as a group of interested folks & negotiate the price; if there is a "bus load" they will allow for 2 caves instead of one and a stop for lunch, if requested. :cool:

I would like to get a group together for cave tubing also, but deffinitely do not want to do lunch and probably one cave is enough for us as we might want to see other parts of this beautiful country. We have 4 in our party!

Anyone up for trying to join us to book a cab for the canopy tour and some snorkeling? Sounds great - see below:

We just returned from Roatan - and the Canopy tour was the highlight of our trip. We paid a van driver $80 for 8 of us for the day (make sure your driver speaks English - and agrees to be paid at the end of the day) He took us to the canopy tour first. We didnt specify which tour (I had read earlier that there were 2) but if there is any confusion just say you want the one with 11 platforms. The tour was fantastic!! Our driver met us at the bottom, took us to the beach for a couple of hours then took us back to the ship. I was very apprehensive about this port, but it turned out to be very hassle free.

We ended up booking a Cave tubing and Zip line combo tour through BelizeCruiseExcursions.com. It was $110 per person. You guys might be able to get a lower price booked as a group...i just needed to get it done because the next few weeks coming up are a busy time for me at work.

We're just going to wing it in Key West...have been there before and will probably go again soon since we live in Florida.

We are on two back-to-back cruises and I am getting confused between the two threads (17 Dec and 23 Dec)! The drinks package was mentioned by someone on the other thread but I could find no trace of it in the UK brochure. However, I contacted Costa and paid for it over the phone. It is £47 (or Euro70) for a 7 day trip and includes drinks with meals in the restaurants only (and not the paying restaurants). Beer, red and white wine, soft drinks and bottled water. No limit on how many but only with meals in the dining rooms. If you can't find it in the US brochure and are interested then ring Costa (it was in the staff handbook and they knew all about it even though it wasn't advertised). Sorry to those I confused - must get the correct post in the correct thread!

Chris, we got your e-mail message today and Katie has replied.

Tracey

We'd love to do this w/ you guys! Morgan (DD) will be 11 in Feb. This will be her 6th, my 8th, cruise. We love going on all sorts of (safe) adventures! ;)

Great - we are a party of four and my daughter Kendall is also 11 - sounds like a GREAT match. Are you a party of two or three? I am really looking forward to the zip lining excursion - sounds like a blast! What about cave tubing - did you read my reply? I know I sound cheap but ... I hate to spend money on food with so much on the ship. Actually, we were on the Liberty in the Med this year and I just brought zip loc bags and a soft sided cooler and we packed a picnic from the deli each night before excursions.We are doing the back to back sailings with Jones so am also trying to budget excursion money.

Archived