Anyone on the Magica Dec. 17-23?

Hoosiergirls

Best Mayan Ruins – in Belize:

Altun Ha (Northern Belize): One of the most easily accessible Mayan ruins from Belize City, Altun Ha is a small yet well-preserved site featuring two large central plazas surrounded by mid-sized pyramids and mounds. Only a few of the most imposing temples, tombs, and pyramids have been uncovered and rebuilt; hundreds more lie under the jungle foliage. Many jade, pearl, and obsidian artifacts have been discovered here, including the unique jade-head sculpture of Kinich Ahau (the Mayan sun god), the largest carved jade piece from the Mayan era.

Xunantunich (Cayo District and Western Belize): Xunantunich is an impressive, well-excavated, and easily accessible Mayan site, close to San Ignacio. Xunantunich was a thriving Mayan city during the Classic Period, from about A.D. 600 to 900. You'll find carved stelae and one very tall main pyramid here. To reach the ruins, you must cross the Mopan River aboard a tiny hand-cranked car-ferry in the village of San José Succotz. The main pyramid at Xunantunich, El Castillo, rises to 127 feet (38m). It's a steep climb, but the view from the top is worth it. On a clear day, you'll be able to make out the twin border towns of Benque Viejo, Belize, and Melchor de Menchos, Guatemala.

Tikal: Just over the Belizean border in neighboring Guatemala, Tikal is the grandest of the surviving classic Mayan cities. The pyramids of Tikal offer some of the best views to be found in all of Central America. Temple IV is the tallest, and the preferred platform for enjoying this view, but Temple IIGreat Plaza is really just as good. Tikal is far more extensively excavated than any ruins in Belize. The pyramids here are some of the most perfect examples of ceremonial architecture in the Mayan world. The peaks of several temples poke through the dense rainforest canopy. Toucans and parrots fly about, and the loudest noise you'll hear is the guttural call of howler monkeys. In its heyday, the city probably covered as much as 25 square miles (65 sq. km) and supported a population of over 100,000.

Lamanai: One of the more interesting and picturesque Mayan ruins in Belize, Lamanai features three large pyramids, a couple of residential areas, various restored stelae, and open plazas, as well as a small and unique ball court. Moreover, nearby are the ruins of two 16th-century Spanish churches. The site is set on the banks of the New River Lagoon. Since it was still occupied by the Maya when the Spanish arrived, Lamanai is one of the few sites in Belize to retain its traditional name.

El Pilar (Cayo District and Western Belize): El Pilar just may be the most underappreciated major Mayan city in Mesoamerica. The site is huge, with over 25 known plazas, covering some 100 acres (40ha) that straddle the Belize and Guatemala border. Excavation and exploration here are in their early stages, and I don't think it will be long before El Pilar joins the ranks of Caracol and Tikal as one of the major Classic Mayan sites of this region.

Caracol (Cayo District and Western Belize): Caracol (http://www.caracol.org) is the largest known Mayan archaeological site in Belize, and one of the great Mayan city-states of the Classic era. Located deep within the Chiquibil Forest Reserve, the ruins are not nearly as well excavated as Tikal or Xunantunich or any number of other sites. However, this is part of Caracol's charm. The main pyramid here, Caana or "Sky Palace," stands some 136 feet (41m) high; it is the tallest Mayan building in Belize and still the tallest man-made structure in the country.

we cruise early january a lot and we have found, and the locals tell us, it is one of the best weather times of the year in the western carib...can't imagine it would be much different 2 weeks earlier! great water visibility too!

itis supposed to be mid to upper 60's when we leave and return soat least I won't need to take a parka on the plane!

picking up stuff from the cleaners and finishing packing and then we are ready to go.

Just read a not great review from Nov of this year so getting apprehensive again. Hopefully our experience will be different. Costa has good prices my birthday week too (week before Easter) and if we like this one we will book that ne.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back! Hope that everyone had an uneventful journey home.

So what did y'all think about the cave tubing adventure? A lot of work to get to the top, but quite a ride thru the cave! :eek: I would have felt a lot worse if we had paid $75 or more for the same ride.

I would think that the Belizians need to limit the number of people coming into the park, to help alleviate the stampede at the river (but what are the chances of that??).

But all in all, still a fun time & a shore excursion we'll certainly remember!

Just sent in my film for processing; I'll post as many pix as I can when I get 'em back.

the price on Costa was $93PP which I am glad that we did NOT pay!!! I agree that there needs to be much more organization (mine was one of the three young girls left on the "other side of the river"!!!!) Certainly something to remember (and I'm glad that nothing bit my bottom in the river):eek:

Al from Florida and Morgans mom we liked meeting and talking to you on deck. We would love to see any pictures from the cave tubing. I just had our water camera, still has pictures left to take on it before getting processed.

Glad we had a sunny cruise.

Happy new Year.

Deb and family

Morgan's mom:

sorry, one more question; your friend from Fort Meyers--could you e-mail her to post any pictures. Thanks.

We will remember the cave tubing and the rest of the cruise. Our boys had a fun trip. Parasailing, cavetubing and zipling.

Smeenge's

Archived