Binocular on the Westerdam

TITISSA

We were on the W'dam May 21 sailing. There were two pair in each of our cabins (SA 7071 & 7073) - pretty good quality. My husband brought his own "Bass Pro Shop" pair and we really couldn't tell any difference from the HAL ones and his. So, if you're tight on packing - you will probably be content with the free ones in the cabin.

They have cozy blankets too - perfect for those hot chocolates on the Verandah!!! :)

On an Alaskan cruise, you will end up spending quite a lot of time looking through binoculars if you have some!

The binoculars on the Zuiderdam were OK... about the same standard as Bass pro shop and other inexpensive binoculars (such as Tasco or Bushnell).

Personally I usually bring my own binoculars (which are signifcantly better than Tasco), and for something like an Alaskan or Blatic cruise I would definitely bring my own.

James

A tip for anyone buying binoculars :

Always look through the pair you are going to buy. Don't take a quick look, take a looooong (30 seconds or more) look. The two light-paths that make up binoculars should be exactly aligned.

If they aren't, then if they are badly out of alignment you'll see two seperate images.

If they are slightly out of alignment, your eyes will feel strained as they work to merge the two images, and prolongued use will give you a headache.

Binoculars are fairly delicate because of this - quite easy to knock out of alignment or indeed, not to be properly aligned when manufactured.

You can get inexpensive bincoulars that are properly aligned, although you might have to look through several pairs first.

Another tip : always use the neckstrap - some people try and look "cool" by not doing so but it only takes a moment's inattention to render them useless... plus, the coolest person on the ship is the Captain, and you'll always see him use the neckstrap :cool:

Archived