Jeep Safari with a Hip replacement

lauren0309

My husband had 2 hip replacements. One in November and the other just 2 weeks ago. Our cruise isnt until January. We were looking into taking the Jeep Safari tour in Aruba with ABC tours. From what I have read, it is a very bumpy ride in some parts and if you have back or neck problems you should be careful. He doesnt have neck or back problems, just with his hips. My husband is worried about throwing his hip out with all the bumps. Is it really that bumpy or should we just rent a jeep on our own and go our own pace? He doesnt want to wind up in a hospital in Aruba.

My husband had 2 hip replacements. One in November and the other just 2 weeks ago. Our cruise isnt until January. We were looking into taking the Jeep Safari tour in Aruba with ABC tours. From what I have read, it is a very bumpy ride in some parts and if you have back or neck problems you should be careful. He doesnt have neck or back problems, just with his hips. My husband is worried about throwing his hip out with all the bumps. Is it really that bumpy or should we just rent a jeep on our own and go our own pace? He doesnt want to wind up in a hospital in Aruba.

I would check with his doctor but I think it would be OK. I've had both hips replaced and I ride a motorcycle. I rode 2 1/2 months after my last replacement with no problem. I've also gone off-roading in my truck.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the person who said to consult with your orthopedist. I have had 6 total joint replacements < hips each done twice and both hips once > and have had rheumatoid arthritis for 55 of my 58 yrs. As one person wrote on this board, risk is aprt of life. I couldn't agree more, but there is an individual judgement to make as to what is a reasonable risk and what isn't. Only you, with info from your doc and research about your condition, can make. Everyone is different. Disabilities are all different. For example, a person who is blind can perhaps risk skiing with assistance, but one with advanced RA and with totals is almost assuredly taking an almost certain risk or dislocation and/or breaking of joints and bones. Someone with osteoarthritis and a joint replacement but otherwise orthopedically in good shape, may be able to take more risk.

Anyway, I went cruising to Alaska on HAL and had a fine time, but could not do everything folks w/out my specific disability could do. It was still a wonderful thrill and I flet tremendously blessed to be there. Enjoy!

Archived