Oslo Norway information HOHO bus

daju22

Here is the email information about the hop on/off bus service in Oslo, Norway. The buses meet the ship as soon as it docks. The hop on/off website is: http://www.citysightseeing.net/

I received great answers from Henrik. He is very quick to reply. His email is: bendix@citysightseeing.no

Here's what he said about using our scooter and wheelchair on the buses.

We do not have storage rooms under the buses because we do not carry luggage. However, this allows a very easy access to the buses.

Inside the buses we have room for wheel chairs, strollers etc. One of our tour buses (are present upon arrival of your cruise) has a special ramp for wheel chairs so I am quite sure we can have your mobility scooter inside the

bus.

One bus has a wheel chair ramp and space for wheel chairs. The other 6 buses has space for wheel chairs inside the tour buses but your husband must be able to walk into these 6 buses him self since we must fold the wheel chairs together to get it into the bus (poles in the middle of the doors).

A full tour around Oslo is about 1 hour and 30 minutes. The departure

time from the Cruise Terminal is 5 minutes past the hour and then every 30 minutes.

If your husband is not able to walk into the bus we can arrange for you

to departure i.e. 3.05 pm (you arrive 2.30) with the bus with the wheel

chair ramp where you are also are able to use the scooter but if you HOP OFF at any points along the tour you cannot continue with the other tour

buses.

If your husband is able to walk onboard the tour buses you can catch any

of our tour buses as long as you bring the wheel chair.

Please don't hesitate to e-mail us if in doubt about anything,

Regards,

Henrik Bendix

Hope this helps someone a little.

Judy

We've just returned from our baltics cruise and experienced the following: Everyone was most accommodating and willing to assist BUT the baltic ports are not the easiest cities to negotiate a wc! Most roads and sidewalks are from cobblestones (some look like round river stones bedded in sand); some of the drop off points are not right in front of the attractions and you have to walk some distance. In particular Oslo's Viking Museum is a good 5-10min up hill walk from the drop-off point and the sidewalk is too narrow and uneven for a wc - you have to use the road!

We've just returned from our baltics cruise and experienced the following: Everyone was most accommodating and willing to assist BUT the baltic ports are not the easiest cities to negotiate a wc! Most roads and sidewalks are from cobblestones (some look like round river stones bedded in sand); some of the drop off points are not right in front of the attractions and you have to walk some distance. In particular Oslo's Viking Museum is a good 5-10min up hill walk from the drop-off point and the sidewalk is too narrow and uneven for a wc - you have to use the road!

Hi Tisha,

Great to hear from you! We are planning to use a scooter and a wheelchair. Did you see any scooters while on the trip? Which ship were you on? Did you use the cruiseline shuttles, ship's tours or mostly HOHO buses? Thanks for any information you can give.

Judy

On this particular cruise I did not notice any scooters - have seen them often in the Med though. The streets and walkways are very uneven - mostly cobble stones.

We made use of a few shuttles - the drivers were most helpful and stored the w/c under the bus and allowed us to board first. As for the tours - we mainly used the HOHO's as we found that the steps in the tour coaches are very high compared to the comfortable steps of the HOHO's.

In St Pete's I booked a private tour which worked best for us. Please be aware that ALL the sites we visited in St Pete's had steps - NO ramps are available. This makes visiting these sites impossible for those who can't do stairs. Our guide was wonderful and took us to the front of the line and made way for us to pass with the chair. Where we had to climb stairs she carried the w/c for us!

We were cruising on the Marco Polo - we love this ship although she is not the best equiped for hc people. The staff was always most willing to assist.

Travelling with a w/c was quite a challange as this was a first for us. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have - I'll try my best to help.

Thanks Tisha for your help. Thankfully, my husband can navigate steps if there are railings. It's good to know that people were so helpful. Glad also that you were able to use the HOHOs.

When we went on our South America trip, we also had only our wheelchair. It was a challenge, but what an adventure!

Our tour company in St. Pete knows about our wheelchair and scooter.

I just really wanted to do the other cities on our own.

I appreciate your help.:)

Judy

Archived