snorkel question

artk

hi all... i'm booked on a western carib cruise this summer... and my g/f and i are looking at different excursions. I've never really snorkeled... at least not in the last 25 years (i'm in my 50's)... and now that i seem to need glasses all the time to avoid blurry vision.. i was wondering how snorkeling works with glasses? Are you able to put the snorkel mask on over the glasses? or, do you have to take the glasses off... and be stuck with whatever you can see without them? Just asking... if i can't wear the glasses, i may just have to pass on snorkelling excursions, which would be a disappointment to the g/f.

Thanks in advance for replies

hi all... i'm booked on a western carib cruise this summer... and my g/f and i are looking at different excursions. I've never really snorkeled... at least not in the last 25 years (i'm in my 50's)... and now that i seem to need glasses all the time to avoid blurry vision.. i was wondering how snorkeling works with glasses? Are you able to put the snorkel mask on over the glasses? or, do you have to take the glasses off... and be stuck with whatever you can see without them? Just asking... if i can't wear the glasses, i may just have to pass on snorkelling excursions, which would be a disappointment to the g/f.

Thanks in advance for replies

Artk, go take a look at the Snorkeling and Scuba forum. There are a couple of threads that address your question.

Cheers!

Jayne

The bad news is, It would probably be impossible to keep the water out of your mask with your glassed on.

The good new is, If there is a local dive shop where you live, they sometimes sell corrective lenses for the masks, i don't know how much they cost but it might be worth a call to find out.

I have also heard of people snorkeling with contacts, that may also be an option for you.

Once we decided that we were going to be snrkling for the long haul, we went ahead and got our prescriptions mounted into our dive masks. This is a good option if you're like me and blind as a bat. some people have glued their old lens into maks, but that can be dicey as you have to really know what and how your glue will react.

Many dive shops offer masks with corrective lens and you might be able to get by with one of those. Speak frankly with your tour operator and let him/her know. There's nothing worse than not being able to see anything when the fishes are all around you.

Have a great cruise!

Charlie

I agree with John. I wear glasses most of the time, but never need them when snorkeling. It's amazing how clearly you can see when underwater. Please don't miss out on the snorkeling - such a fantastic world under the sea!

Don't try to wear glasses and a mask. It's sure to leak. Contacts will work or you can use a prescription lenses in your mask. A good dive shop can change out lenses to prescription lenses in a mask while you wait. All you need is your eyeglass prescription to show them and they will be able to fit the proper lenses in the mask for you. If you have a mild correction prescription in your glasses, you might not need any special corrective lenses in your mask because water has a slight magnifying effect. Snorkeling with a leaky mask or blurry vision will make your experience not as much fun.

The water will definitely help with the vision under water, especially if your vision is not too bad. On the other hand, if you think you might be interested in buying a mask with your prescription in them, I recently bought such a mask and all total it ran me about $150.

Definitely go snorkeling - it is so amazing!

thanks for all your answers.. now i have to decide what i'll do.. contacts aren't really an option for me... i hate putting things in my eyes... soooo... i'll either do a blurry snorkel... or submarine... or.... who knows? lol But thanks anyway for the quick answers

As others have said, you may not need your glasses unless you are doing deep water snorkeling. I am very dependent on my glasses, but can see well enough without them to enjoy snorkeling up to depths of 8 to 10 feet. However having been lent an optical mask when snorkeling at depths of 20 feet or more in Hawaii, I purchased one on the internet for about $65. Since I love to snorkel, it was a great investment.

Archived