Renting cars in Juneau

yjl869

We used Rent-A-Wreck. They picked us up at the Red Dog Saloon, drove us to the agency (near Mendenhall Glacier), did the paperwork, and when we were done they dropped us off right at the ship. Excellent outfit and a great, inexpensive way to see many sites in Juneau!! Laurie

We are renting a van from rent-a-wreck while in Juneau, I think the cost is $70 for the day. For an extra $10 we can just leave the van at the pier whenever we are finished with it for the day!

Lorrie

Rent a Wreck has used cars in good condition. Just not brand new like the major rentals. They are one of the few who will shuttle you to their office. Most of the majors do not and a cab is costly for the round trip. The only negative with Rent A wreck is they close at 6pm, but will make arrangements for late drop off with a surcharge- but arrange this AT the time of reservation.

Essentially- going north- you can visit Mendenhall glacier, glaicer gardens, stop at Fred Meyer, cont and see Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U, and farther St. Theresa's shrine- all the time a great view of Auke Bay. Heading back- detour to Douglas Island (stop at the hatchery before the turn, if of interest). Going south again more scenic driving.

I am interested in renting from Rent a wreck. I went to the web site and it showed me a map. There is also a phone number so I assume that in order to make a reservation one should call it in. (As opposed to doing it online? )
For those who have rented in Juneau do you think that it was worth it as opposed to taking an excursion?
Thank in advance

We rented from rent-a-wreck in June. They left the car for us in the lot right at the dock to pick up, and we were able to just leave it there at the end of the day, as well. I think the charge was $15 extra for this.....

The car ran fine, but had over 100,000 miles and was a bit beat up...

Still, this was a great way for our family to visit many Juneau sites easily while traveling with a 15 month old!! Saved ALOT of money, and much more convenient!!

You need to determine if the car rental is right for you??? There certainly is better touring options available if you want flights/boat trips etc. If you go this route- do your homework- get to your library and take out Alaska travel books,Fodor's and Frommer's Alaska are especially concise references. Take a look at the MILEPOST, read the road guide, request the Juneau visitor guide. [url]www.traveljuneau.com[/url]

rent a wreck's cars run OK but ours had 108K miles and had seen many better days. They were helpful with pick-up and drop off and have a good rate but don't expect cars similar to national chains. We found in Juneau we were glad to get out of town - way too touristy!!!! The view to Mendenhall from Douglas Island is great and a beach walk was peaceful. St Teresa pretty too.
Sue

I'd guess the car Rent-A-Wreck rented us would retail for about $500, (in the lower 48). And that includes the duck tape used to hold the front passenger window on. But it ran OK (sort of).

- Monte

Just talked to Hertz- they will reimburse the cab ride from the dock. though they did say that cars cannot be driven on unpaved roads....will this be an issue if we are going to Mendenhall Glacier and the Shrine of St Therese?

[quote name='yjl869']Just talked to Hertz- they will reimburse the cab ride from the dock. though they did say that cars cannot be driven on unpaved roads....will this be an issue if we are going to Mendenhall Glacier and the Shrine of St Therese?[/QUOTE]

No both paved. Verify what time their office closes. It is a bonus with the downtown Rent A Wreck drop off, no back and forth twice. :)

Archived