If the Conquest moved back to New Orleans

Kcarp

One thing Galveston has on its side is…… I have a co-worked that was on the Conquest Last week 11th to the 18th of June. He said that the Captain and Todd were saying that the Conquest was on its 13th week of being number one in their fleet. Now I do not know how this is figured out, by review, capacity? Not sure. Does anyone know?

Comment cards.

One thing Galveston has on its side is…… I have a co-worked that was on the Conquest Last week 11th to the 18th of June. He said that the Captain and Todd were saying that the Conquest was on its 13th week of being number one in their fleet. Now I do not know how this is figured out, by review, capacity? Not sure. Does anyone know?

Lost luggage? Complaints? Since they didn't give more information, any such ranking is meaningless.

Well as I am reading a few posters state that more than 1 carnival rep has contradicted another. So if Conquest goes to NO, I will be sad to see her go, but either way a Conquest class ship should be at both ports. Maybe the freedom goes to Galv. or NO and Conquest to the other.

Carnival had made a decision to move the Conquest before hurricane Katrina hit. Not sure if it is because they (Carnival Corp.) want to bring in Princess and Holland American (both Carnival companies) or they just wanted to move it. It has been said because they replaced the Holiday with the Sensation, now the Fantasy that they couldn't fill the Conquest. I don't believe that to be true. The Conquest left if not completely full, then close to it. One thing is for sure, Carnival is upset about how the city of N.O. welcomed Norwegian Cruise Lines to the city. Lets face it they (NCL) made the first move to return to the city, so why shouldn't the city return the favor. Also NCL has placed a bigger ship in the city. Next year will again do the same. Looks like NCL has a plan. Hopefully Carnival gets on board to keep their market share of N.O.. I would hate to see them lose that after all this time.

Todd also stated this on our May 2005 sailing from New Orleans.

Personally I think they should yank some ships out of Miami and/or other Florida ports and redistribute them. Too many eggs in too few baskets.

You've got that right. same here.

I have yet to sail out of either port. I looked long and hard at Galveston, but I think it is nutty to have to fly into an airport that is an hour and a half from port. Forgive my ignorance, but is there a reason Galveston cannot support commerical airlines?

Galveston is a huge drive in port. But yes people do fly in as well and I would hate to get off a plane to have to drive an hour to the ship. Cape Carnaveral is the same way. Done that twice...

Carnival had made a decision to move the Conquest before hurricane Katrina hit. Not sure if it is because they (Carnival Corp.) want to bring in Princess and Holland American (both Carnival companies) or they just wanted to move it. It has been said because they replaced the Holiday with the Sensation, now the Fantasy that they couldn't fill the Conquest. I don't believe that to be true. The Conquest left if not completely full, then close to it. One thing is for sure, Carnival is upset about how the city of N.O. welcomed Norwegian Cruise Lines to the city. Lets face it they (NCL) made the first move to return to the city, so why shouldn't the city return the favor. Also NCL has placed a bigger ship in the city. Next year will again do the same. Looks like NCL has a plan. Hopefully Carnival gets on board to keep their market share of N.O.. I would hate to see them lose that after all this time.

I had never heard that about the Conquest before the hurricane. Maybe that is why the Grand Princess is not on the books yet for Fall 07 & Winter 08. I had heard thet NO was going to have the Golden.

Looks like the posters that are the most upset or in disagree are local cruisers to the two areas (NO & Galveston). On the positive side of this whole situation, both ports are receiving ships they have never had before which allows us to cruise different ships from our home ports. I personally do not want to cruise the same ships over and over. I enjoy having new options. It helps keep cruising fun and exciting for us. We have always wanted to cruise on the Conquest and now we are being able to out of our home port.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a reason Galveston cannot support commerical airlines?

From the Galveston city website:

At 32 miles long and two and a half miles wide

There isn't much room for an airport that could service commercial airlines.

there would be a major uprising in Galveston. Texas has latched onto this ship like nothing I've ever seen. There would be rioting in the streets. Shops burning and looted. Cars overturned. Street lights brought crashing down. It would be ugly, folks. Give the Freedom to NO and let Galveston keep their Conquest. :)

The cruise ships leaving New Orleans averaged over 100% occupancy, so they were leaving full and there were other cruislines interested in putting ships there, but not enough facilities, hence the investment in new facilities.

As for different Carnival reps giving different answers, they have no special information other than the offical party line and often get that wrong. If you ask the same Carnival rep the same question twice, you are often going to get two different answers. :p

From the Galveston city website:

At 32 miles long and two and a half miles wide

There isn't much room for an airport that could service commercial airlines.

St Thomas is about 31 square miles.

there would be a major uprising in Galveston. Texas has latched onto this ship like nothing I've ever seen. There would be rioting in the streets. Shops burning and looted. Cars overturned. Street lights brought crashing down. It would be ugly, folks. Give the Freedom to NO and let Galveston keep their Conquest. :)

Would be room for an aiport, then. :)

Over 50% of the New Orleans cruisers were drive ins.

let Galveston keep their Conquest. :)

THEIR Conquest?!?!?!......AHEM! The Conquest sailed out of New Orleans originally....SO....that makes it New Orleans' ship! Tsk Tsk Tsk!

No but seriously, I am just kidding you. We kind of have missed Conquest being in N.O. We took our first cruise on the big ole Conquest; and was dissappointed to see it moved to Galveston. We wanted to sail it again; but don't like to travel forever to a port.

New parking facilty and terminal will be opened by summers end SEPT. Parking facilty is a 5 tier located away from terminal but they are supposed to be offering shuttle services. You will be able to drive up to terminal and unload than go park your vehicle.Should create a nightmare for disembarkation on the other hand.

This from sources in the NOLA port authority.

CCL is keeping thight lipped on it's plans. So it must be something big that will benefit both ports.

So lets not keep bashing each others city, there is plenty of cruisers for everyone and each port has something different to offer.Each has it's own faults and i'm sure they will invest in solving them. NOLA seen a need for a new terminal and has accomplished that , Galveston will come up with something about the airport. But if you are willing to fly for 6 plus hours to go to Alaska or San Juan what is another 45 min . ride to the port.

Lets all wait and see and i'm sure we will all benefit from whatever is decided.

Scholes Field in Galveston claims to be able to accomodate up to Boeing 767 aircraft so airport capability isn't the issue. There is apparently no economic justification for regularly scheduled major airline service to Galveston. At best it might qualify for a twice daily puddle jumper service from IAH or HOU. Galveston was one of the Texas cities included in a TXDOT small market airline needs assessment back in 1999. Guess whatever the conclusion of that study was didn't support funding for traditional commercial aviation.

New parking facilty and terminal will be opened by summers end SEPT. Parking facilty is a 5 tier located away from terminal but they are supposed to be offering shuttle services. You will be able to drive up to terminal and unload than go park your vehicle.Should create a nightmare for disembarkation on the other hand.

This from sources in the NOLA port authority.

CCL is keeping thight lipped on it's plans. So it must be something big that will benefit both ports.

So lets not keep bashing each others city, there is plenty of cruisers for everyone and each port has something different to offer.Each has it's own faults and i'm sure they will invest in solving them. NOLA seen a need for a new terminal and has accomplished that , Galveston will come up with something about the airport. But if you are willing to fly for 6 plus hours to go to Alaska or San Juan what is another 45 min . ride to the port.

Lets all wait and see and i'm sure we will all benefit from whatever is decided.

very well put, thanks

Yikes I hope not since we booked and paid for our flight for March 07 last week. We chose Gaveston for a reason - we have never been in this area and wanted to see something new before heading out on the cruise.

Archived