Our FIRST Cruise!

AlohaPride

Mary,

This is what i was trying to tell you. That as well as needing warmer clothes for NYC that you would also need them for the first day or 2 at sea going out and the last 2 days coming back, especially if you were going to be walking on the outside decks. Inside you will be fine but most of us take a cover-up, shawl, or sweater in case the dining room is chilly. The weather will get warmer gradually after you pass the Virginia capes and get closer to Florida.

It is very possible you will see snow in NY in December. The hotel room should have it's own thermostat. Some hotels in the east don't have central air. They all have heat, yours sounds like it has both.

One other thing, the seas can be rough in the north atlantic. If you don't know if you have trouble with motion, plan ahead and bring some over-the-counter Bonine (Meclazine), or have your doctor give you a prescription for the Scopolamine patch. With either of these remedies it's best if you use them preventively. Start approx. 4 hours before you sail. Playing catch-up after you get sea sick rarely works.

GN

Thanks very much. My DH gets motion sick. I've already told him to go to the doctor. We are in the center of the ship on the Upper Promenade. Our TA said this is the best part of the ship for those who get sea sick.

Congrats on your first cruise. We'll be getting off Noordam as your coming on. We're taking my parents this time for their first as well. Although, we come from Connecticut and not traveling as far as you are. We had an extreamly mild winter this past year and really haven't had it all bad the past few years in December so no worries. You will need some clothes to keep warm with as it isn't 70 up here and it will warm up after a day and a half out. At any rate, welcome aboard HAL and to CC.

Hi Mary,

Your cabin is in the best place on the ship to counteract motion. Mid-ship on the upper promenade deck is a great location!

The patches are good for 72 hours so if your husband gets those you might consider having him put one on for the flight and then he will be well-prepared when you board the ship. Ask for enough for a ten day trip. You can shower with it in place. Most people put it ( a small round flesh-colored band-aid looking thing) behind the ear. You'll see many folks with them on. If after being at sea for a day or so he may want to try going without it. The usual side effect is a dry mouth, and maybe a little drowsiness. The pills are the same but can cause a little more drowsiness. For a first cruise I would suggest that he wear the first patch for the whole 72 hrs, at least until you get into the Caribbean which is USUALLY much smoother than the Atlantic.

I know I can get long-winded but you seem to want information (like I do) so I'm trying to think of things when I read your questions.

I hope I'm helping you some.

GN

...The patches are good for 72 hours so if your husband gets those you might consider having him put one on for the flight and then he will be well-prepared when you board the ship. Ask for enough for a ten day trip. For a first cruise I would suggest that he wear the first patch for the whole 72 hrs, at least until you get into the Caribbean which is USUALLY much smoother than the Atlantic.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I might ask for a little more than 10 days worth because he will be flying and taking taxis and such and doesn't even handle being in a car without driving very well. He told me once the patches don't work, but at the same time he had the patches on he had also take the pills AND had the bracelet on...plus he was deep sea fishing with his dad. :p

I know I can get long-winded but you seem to want information (like I do) so I'm trying to think of things when I read your questions.I hope I'm helping you some.GN

I am soooo very appreciative of ALL of your advice! When I'm doing something new I spend a TON of time researching (probably because of the degree and work I do). I like to know as much as I can about what's going on and I really like to have EVERYTHING planned down to the last minute.

I think being on a cruise will force me to relax and "go with the flow." I'm looking forward to letting everything GO and just relaxing. I don't think I've done that since before my senior year of high school.

Thanks for everything, and I will definately keep asking questions :o

Archived