shorts in dining room

mumom95

I'm going on my first cruise at the end of July, Coral Princess to Alaska. Now given that it is Alaska, depending on the weather (people tell me it can be anywhere from 50 to 80, it depends on the summer they are having), my question may not even matter. But, is it ok to wear shorts in the dining room for breakfast and lunch? And if shorts are ok, are jean shorts ok? I don't mean ratty, torn jean shorts, but a nice pair of jean shorts with a nice t-shirt and sandles or tennis shoes. I'm pretty sure I have read where people wear shorts, but I have no idea if jean shorts are appropriate. And on the same subject, if it is too cold for shorts, are jeans ok for the dining room for lunch or breakfast. One reason I ask this is because we have a couple of excursions planned where we will need to wear jeans (they are fairly physical, so I wouldn't want to wear nicer pants on them) and I didn't know if we have them on to go on the excursion, if we can go to breakfast in the dining room first. Or should we just stick to the buffet, which we may do regardless, just because of the time and ease of it. But I've read how nice breakfast and lunch in the dining room is, and I thought we might want to give it a try. Anyway, ALL opinions are appreciated.

Mumom95, it's find to wear shorts in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, but as you observed, you may want to visit the buffet on the mornings you have excursions. I generally eat in the dining room for breakfast or lunch when I want to have a leisurely meal--as in, on a sea day. On port days, we usually like to spend as much time as possible doing excursions, shopping, etc., so we generally hit the buffet because it's so much faster.

Others may disagree, but nice jean shorts are fine. That, of course, is JMHO.

Have a great cruise--there's nothing like cruising Alaska!!

Cheers!

Jayne

Shorts will be fine, weather permitting!

I haven't found the dining room to take any longer than the buffet. Not if you count the time you have to wait in line at the buffet, find a table, then make a second trip for your beverages.

You can linger, if you like, but every ship I've been on serves an express breakfast. Or, you can tell the server you're in a bit of a hurry. Seating is many times immediate, there is an excess waiters all around serving coffee, juice and a platter of pastries as soon as you are seated.

Thanks for the input so far on shorts. What about regular, long jeans, are they ok during breakfast and lunch in the dining room. I guess I could probably check the Princess website on that.

Jeans are fine in the dining room for breakfast and lunch - especially in Alaska.

Jeans are fine for lunch and breakfast but not for dinner. I believe they will state the dress code in your documents somewhere.

P.S. We always ordered room service for breakfast on excursion days...very convenient and quick!

I'm going on my first cruise at the end of July, Coral Princess to Alaska. Now given that it is Alaska, depending on the weather (people tell me it can be anywhere from 50 to 80, it depends on the summer they are having), my question may not even matter. But, is it ok to wear shorts in the dining room for breakfast and lunch? And if shorts are ok, are jean shorts ok? I don't mean ratty, torn jean shorts, but a nice pair of jean shorts with a nice t-shirt and sandles or tennis shoes. I'm pretty sure I have read where people wear shorts, but I have no idea if jean shorts are appropriate. And on the same subject, if it is too cold for shorts, are jeans ok for the dining room for lunch or breakfast. One reason I ask this is because we have a couple of excursions planned where we will need to wear jeans (they are fairly physical, so I wouldn't want to wear nicer pants on them) and I didn't know if we have them on to go on the excursion, if we can go to breakfast in the dining room first. Or should we just stick to the buffet, which we may do regardless, just because of the time and ease of it. But I've read how nice breakfast and lunch in the dining room is, and I thought we might want to give it a try. Anyway, ALL opinions are appreciated.

Love a great pair of short shorts on a gal. Nothing better than a bit of cheek in the morning to get the blood flowing. So I say go for it and have a great trip.

Love a great pair of short shorts on a gal. Nothing better than a bit of cheek in the morning to get the blood flowing. So I say go for it and have a great trip.

Is this a bit of sarcasm I detect? I did not see momom post she is into hot pants.

mumon-you read these boards here and you can really get the wrong impression-shorts, jeans and capris are fine for breakfast and lunch. You just would not want to go in there in your swimsuit.

Alaska is beautful! I wish I were with you!

I probably shouldn't even respond, but I couldn't help myself.

Well, I had no intention of wearing daisy dukes, but hey, if I can give some old man his jollies first thing in the morning, I may have to reconsider.

Ok, I wasn't even planning on bringing shorts. Now I'm second guessing the idea. I've read the max temperature in Juneau (one of our ports) in July is 64, and quite rainy, and 58 degrees in Ketchikan.

I was thinking it may be too cool for shorts. I was thinking jeans and t shirts for shore excursions.

Should I be rethinking my plan??

Thanks

For Alaska cruises, I would recommend throwing one pair of shorts in your suitcase just in case. Despite what people think, it can get really warm in Alaska during the summer.

We wore shorts almost every day in Alaska last September. Didn't wear them on excursions but did wear them on the ship. Keep in mind that the ship temperature is going to be warmer in Alaska and you will be warm in long pants..(we were)..

Also don't forget bathing suits..I brought one and wished I'd brought another. We used the solarium pool almost every day.

Also wore shorts at sailaway from Vancouver..temps were in high 70's...

Have a great trip....

Pam

We wore shorts almost every day in Alaska last September. Didn't wear them on excursions but did wear them on the ship. Keep in mind that the ship temperature is going to be warmer in Alaska and you will be warm in long pants..(we were)..

Also don't forget bathing suits..I brought one and wished I'd brought another. We used the solarium pool almost every day.

Also wore shorts at sailaway from Vancouver..temps were in high 70's...

Have a great trip....

Pam

Thanks for all the great input!!

Just thought you might like some more tips for Alaska:

To make your packing a bit easier, take a little bit of everything because the weather really does vary day to day, unlike the Caribbean where you know it will be hot. We lucked out with ours, especially for September 18th. Some people think of Alaska as a frozen tundra in upper Siberia and even though our weather varied, it was never COLD.

An example of one day: we started off in jeans, long sleeve shirt and fleece jacket. Left the ship and added a windbreaker over that..it wasn't really cold, just windy. By noon, the fleece came off but the windbreaker stayed on. We got back to the ship and went in the pool. It was very warm by now. Changed into shorts and a tee after that and went to the pool bar. An hour later, it was colder so the shorts stayed on but we went to the cabin to get the fleece jacket. Back inside the ship, the fleece came off while we walked around. When we got to our cabin and sat on the balcony, the fleece went back on. Shortly after, we changed for dinner. Some nights after dinner it was beautiful to walk on deck without a jacket. Other nights it was way too windy...and so on!!

Essentially, bring comfortable walking shoes/ sneakers, fleece jacket, light sweatshirt, windbreaker. They can all be layered if it gets really cold. I did bring a wool skarf but never wore it and brought an umbrella and never needed it. We had about 10 minutes of rain one day in Ketchikan.

There was a definite mix on formal night but I'm sure youv'e heard enough of that already!!!

It sounds like a lot of clothes but it was the easiest cruise I ever packed for.

Do bring mosquito repellent...the mosquitos are in full force in July/August. (Which I found quite shocking but one of the tour guides called the mosquito the state bird.)

If you need any other info...let me know.

Pam

Pam

I probably shouldn't even respond, but I couldn't help myself.

Well, I had no intention of wearing daisy dukes, but hey, if I can give some old man his jollies first thing in the morning, I may have to reconsider.

I did not think you were either. Don't worry about giving tumerol any thrills. We would not want him to die of an heart attack.

Archived