Nassau: Dophins Or Stingrays?

mahreeya

Hi Mahreeya!

Last August, we did the Dolphin Encounter excursion in Nassau. I was extremely disappointed.

For almost $400, my family of four each got to spend a total of maybe 1-2 minutes interacting with the dolphin in an enclosed very controlled environment. First, they have you (usually in a group of about 6-8 people) stand on a floating platform a couple of feet below the water's surface. Then they have you pose for a picture with the dolphin, then you feel it as it swims by (top and belly) .....then you hold the pec fins and the dolphin "dances" with you for a few seconds ....then it comes out of the water and gives you a kiss.

All of this is done in about 1-2 minutes and that's it. Honestly, we felt that almost $400.00 was a ripoff.

I pictured being in a lagoon type setting where you get to swim with them for a good 15-20 minutes and you get to be pulled around by the dorsal fins (like on Flipper). NO GO! They won't even let you touch that dorsal fin. And besides, you're up on this floating platform. Like I said, it's very controlled.

As far as the rays, maybe someone else can give you input on that. Given the choice, I would never have done the dolphins if I had known how little you get.

Hope this helps!

Hi. We did the Dolphin Encounter this past June and thought it was good since our son is 6 and the Dolphin Swim would have been too much for him. I believe Disney only offers the Dolphin Encounter, but you can book the Dolphin swim directly. Here is the link and you can read about the difference between the encounter and the swim.

[url]http://www.dolphinencounters.com/program.html[/url]

Archived