Complimentary Laptop on NCL Jewel ???

Tagoladad

I was reading about the "timing plans" they offer in the internet cafe and the NCL website says...

Wireless Internet Service for laptop usage

Time Package Plan:

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

Pay as you go $0.75 per minute

Wireless card - $10 per day (if required)Wireless card Insurance - $3.00 per day (optional)*

Laptop rentals

Laptop rental – Complimentary with the purchase of a Time plan.

Laptop insurance - $3 per day

does this mean that if I take the 250 minute plan that NCL will "rent" me a laptop that I can use in my room to get on the internet? I can access my own AOL account from anywhere on the ship? does the laptop come with it's own wireless card or do I have to rent that form NCL as well (I don't have my own wireless card)? Has anyone done this?

I read this board everyday and I don't think I've ever seen a thread about "complimentary laptops". If any one has any experinece with this I would love to hear about it.

My wife and I have to be online everyday to email our kids at camp, but we would definitley prefer to do it from our room (11026- on the Jewel 7/13 sailing) than from the internet cafe. Any advice would be helpful. I'm a fairly sophisticated PC user, but I really want to hear what everyone else has to say. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning on taking my laptop but maye not. Trouble is, I have a hard time believing they can make laptops availiable for everyone willing to buy a time plan. I'd be very interest in anyone's experience though.:confused:

I would guess there is a fair chance they will run out of them?

I would also assume they have very limited software loaded other than getting on the internet.

Personally we take ours to do email offline, watch movies in the airport, airplane, listen to CDs, etc.

I've never heard of the laptop deal.

I will say that, while I'm a complete internet addict -- my cheapness clashes with my addiction, and won't allow me to pay $.50/minute to see what kind of goofy forwards my co-workers sent me, and how much I could save if I refiananced TODAY.

That said, if you were going on a cruise, you could BUY a laptop (used for $100, new for $399), and compose your e-mails online. Then connect wirelessly (or save your e-mail to a disk, burn it to a CD, put it on a thumbdrive) and copy and paste it online. Saves time and money.

Also, you could connect wirelessly in port. Many coffee shops give free wi-fi with a purchase. Libraries, hotels, etcetera.

Just some thoughts, since you seem to think you'll be using a lot of computer time on the ship.

Archived