Solo Travel on River Cruises

Venturagirl

Most of the reports I have read on this board have been from people traveling as pairs. I know pairs are more practical because single supplements are very expensive, but I'm wondering -- have any of you met people traveling solo on your river cruises? Or have you traveled as a single? If so, how did the single person enjoy the river cruise experience?:confused:

Two years ago I was on a GCT river cruise and there were at least 2 ladies traveling solo and enjoying the trip very much. I found out one actually lived within 5 miles from me, had done at least 25 trips with this company, and enjoyed the freedom of solo traveling. They were both friendly, outgoing people and socialized with everyone.

Deilmann is promoting selected cruises for single travelers in Germany with no single supplement.

I also read that some cruise lines do offer to find someone to share your cabin to avoid the single supplement.

steamboats

From my experience Grand Circle and Vantage have the best deals for single cruisers. Both charge only a 25% single supplement. Vantage has some guaranteed single dates and Grand Cirlce only charges you 1/2 the single suplement if you request a roommate and end up in a cabin by yourself.

I have been on 6 Grand Circle river cruises as a single and have enjoyed everyone. It is very easy to get to know many people due due to the small passanger size. I cannot wait until my next GCT River Cruise booked for April 2007.

Archived