Dress Alterations

What do you all think about altering a formal dress?? I bought a Nicole Miller strapless dress on ebay and I LOVE it! It is almost a perfect fit except for in the bust line. Its a close fit but it just smashes me too much. The top has no stretch to it and there is a zipper up the side of the dress. I have had alterations done on slacks before, but I didn't know if this kind of alteration can be done. Thanks!

Certainly!... I do attend a lot of formal occasions and I cant tell you how many times I have had dress and gowns altered. (both up and down!) You will need to look at the seams/darts to determine if there is enough material to let it out.If there is, get a price. I dont know what you paid on Ebay but you want to make sure that the alterations do not outweigh your savings... That is of course unless you just love the dress!

If there is enough material, the alteration shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you find a GOOD seamstress. I've read horror stories on this board of alterations gone awry.

Also make sure when you take it in for measurements that you're wearing the same bra, hose, etc. that you plan to wear with it to ensure a perfect fit.

Thanks ladies. I don't think there is enough material there to let it out, it doesn't look like any material at all to let out. I will probably skip this dress for formal night and it isn't too bad since I got such a great deal on ebay. (I tried the different bra approach too). I was thinking there may be another way to alter the dress.

Take the dress to a good alterations person and tell them your problem. There are very clever ways to add a gusset in the side seam that can't be seen. By "good alterations person" I don't mean the local dry cleaners people, but someone who specializes in alterations (yellow pages and fabric stores have listings). They won't charge you to look at it and tell you yes or no. I have a friend who has one arm larger than the other due to edema as a result of the "old way" of doing mastectomies, and she always has to have fabric added to that particular sleeve and you can't tell unless you look very closely. Good luck.

Take the dress to a good alterations person and tell them your problem. There are very clever ways to add a gusset in the side seam that can't be seen. By "good alterations person" I don't mean the local dry cleaners people, but someone who specializes in alterations (yellow pages and fabric stores have listings). They won't charge you to look at it and tell you yes or no. I have a friend who has one arm larger than the other due to edema as a result of the "old way" of doing mastectomies, and she always has to have fabric added to that particular sleeve and you can't tell unless you look very closely. Good luck.

I agree. I've seen some tailors that seem to work magic with items and make problems disappear!

Archived