Aurora what's it like? sailing with her Nov 07

fulloflife

Hi – We’ve sailed on both the Aurora and Oceana within the P&O fleet and we both prefer the Aurora.

It is a difficult thing to put your finger on, but all that I can say is that we would happily sail on her again.

We’ve sailed with Celebrity on the Century and really love that ship.

I would say that the Aurora more closely compares with the Century experience than the Oceana does, can’t speak for the M class though.

Food is very good on the Aurora (we found it so in 2004), enjoyed the alternative dining, entertainment was also very good and as I recall it had a separate cinema. Cabins were well laid out and comfortable.

Coffee and tea making facilities in the room.

Sorry to hear about your ‘bug’ it will prove expensive to treat and impossible to cure!icon10.gif

• 5 weeks later...

We have sailed on both these ships (including a trip similar to yours to the Caribbean on Aurora) - and are due to sail again on Aurora on 4th August! - and thoroughly enjoyed both. Oceana is less formal than Aurora, which tends to attract a more 'traditional' clientele and is much more on a par with the Millennium class of ship run by Celebrity (ie Costellation). Needless to say, the vast majority of passengers on Aurora will be British rather than American, and this influences the selection of artistes on board for your entertainment.

I am sure that you will thoroughly enjoy your cruise, and that you will consider P&O for future cruises alongside Celebrity and possibly other quality cruise lines.

If you're lucky then Hughie "Hughie" Taylor will still be on board as cruise director. He really is a great CD and a top sausage to boot.

You'll have a great time and have nothing to worry about. Aurora is on similar lines to the Oceana in that it is a family ship but Oceana is a little more relaxed.

Are you American or British? You'll find 99% of the passengers on any of the P&O UK ships are British.

Make sure you have lunch at Froggy Jaques in St Lucia, Pussers in Tortola and take one of the local taxi tours when you visit Dominica. I brought my mother out to the Caribbean this year and the tour of Dominica we went on was one of the highlights of the cruise. The taxi driver guides know their island and are obviously very proud of it. It really is a spectacular place and the tours are far from expensive. We ended up tipping the driver more than the cost of the tour.

The only possible downside I can see to your cruise is the sea days heading out to the Caribbean and back again. November is not the best time to be crossing the Atlantic. Still, I'm sure there will be more than enough entertainment to keep your mind off the motion of the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have sailed on all bar one of the P&O fleet and evertime we say that aurora is our favourite. You will really enjoy yourself and as regards the sea days crossing the Atlantic, this is the best time when you can relax and enjoy the ship.

Archived