Cruise Experience with Alzheimers

Truluv

I don't know if this info will help anyone else, but thought I'd add it to the boards. We've always enjoyed cruise vacations. DH was diagnosed with early-onset AD a few years ago, and is now entering the moderate stage. For the first few years when the illness was at the beginning stage, we were able to continue cruising with some modifications, such as decorating our cabin door so he could find it more easily. Our teens begged for another vacation cruise this year. A family member stayed with DH at all times, helped him with meals/buffet choices, and kept track of his Sign & Sail card.

I found that our cabin stewardess and waiter -- who spoke great English when talking about the usual cruise stuff -- really had very limited English vocabularies. When I told them that DH had Alzheimers, they looked at me blankly. No matter how many times I told our waiter that I would order for DH, he would approach DH expectantly waiting for him to read the menu. Same situation with getting on and off the ship, at the Pursar's desk, etc. Everyone would direct conversations to DH as the "Man of the House", give him the charge slips to sign, etc. If he fumbled for something or got a little confused about which direction to walk, etc., there was impatience by other passengers and crew. AD patients don't have a sign around their necks that they are ill and the disease is invisible -- people seemed to think that he was dumb or not listening. This cruise ended up being very frustrating for DH.

We might have done better with a smaller ship (we were on a smaller Carnival ship, since the ship was familiar to him) and at an off-season time of year, or perhaps with a cruise line that moves at a little slower pace for elderly passengers. Based on our experience this time -- and even with all of our efforts to make things go smoothly for him -- I've concluded that cruising presents too many challenges except perhaps for very early stage AD patients.

Hello I just had to respond to you as a Brain Inured woman (middelaged with 2 kids) some of what you said sounds EXACLTY what I go through, in fACt just sitting here trying to write I must thinkk of every thought I am writing thereis No flow to myu mind as there used to me. (Rare Brain Disordre AND Anyerusms AND stroke) so belviee me I GET IT! and your the FIrST person I ahve seen write on here (not you) but your DH with memory illness in my case injury and Quite Substantial, I do not remember a single event (time Wise) unless I am sittting a long while thinking about it I will remember What it was but NEVer when. It took me at leastt 6 months just to learn to write properly agagin and still I ahve difficutly but NOT if I use Dragon SPEakeasy.

I will also tell you My Grandmother HAd ALZ, and my Father in law HAS it now, grandmother became from mile mannered loving woman to biligerant, but my fahter in law is Very passive with his.

Losing memory at a younger age like myself and your SPouse is so hard, in fact if you REad some posts of mine I talkeed about how hard it was for me to Try to plan our cruise so hard I m not sure I EVer want to go on one again. Im also in Chair from Brain AND Cord (also born with rare Cord illnessls), I also have APraxia And Ahpashia(SPelling is bad) not using speaker now. But Im goping I will change my mind, if your DH is not Violent or has severe outbursts then you still could take him as longg as you have others with you to take the load off of you.

I Canr emmber things from 30 o0r more years ago! 100%, But cask me what Day it is or month or like your husnamd looking at the menu, I will sometimes just sit and STare at it in a daze or Fog, IO know I will be Very ocnfused on a ship I hate to saty its fortunate I willl be in my wheelchair since I HAVe to be anywahs, but it keepss me safer that way from getting lost and scared, plus we will be taking Walkie talkies so I CAN Have some freeedom and sit and read somehweree ot just sit and loook at ocean and I willl HAVE to stay put and not try to Find my Way BAck to room (boy NEver thought I d say it will be good Im in the Chair for aTRIP!,hah,a,ha. but you get my meaningg Im sure.

let me knoww if you need my help I Will DO my best, my husband knowws me in and out and my kids too and how to help me when Im stuck in my LOST PLAce mentaly, becasue I can tell you is scary placee to be FRO me and Im SURE it is for your spouse bless hi s heart have empathy froy ou both.

PEACeen hugs

Lvie Life

That's so sad! There was a lady on our cruise that her husband would take her to the rest room and then go back to the atrium lounge. She kept walking around the atrium and didn't know where she was going. I noticed what was going on and helped her back to where her husband was.

Archived