SERENADE to Alaska - Fare calculation

My sister is booked on a 7 day Inside Passge cruise on RCI's SERENADE of the SEAS.

The ships sails on 2nd July on the 7 day cruise. Sis booked the cabin, initially as a single, back in February.... Inside Stateroom 'N' Category.

The fare quoted was US$3,156... cruise only... including taves etc. Prior to final payment she was able to get a friend to come and share the cabin so the fare was split and they are each now paying $1,700.

These fares seem excessively high for an inside cabin. Could be because the cruise is in High Season and that the ship is sold out, but there seems to have been no discount at all.

Does anyone know if these fares are correct or even 'in the right ballpark'?

Also, what is the single supplement for the N category cabins. It looks like they might have been charging 200% for sole occuppancy... normal for a Penthoue or Suite but not for an Inside.

Would appreciate your input.... before I convince my sister to find a new travel agent!!!!!

Stephen

The "single supplement" is indeed 100%. I travel solo so I've sort of gotten used to paying double. So a cruise that would cost a couple in a cabin $1k each, costs me $2k.

The price of the cabin, in reality, costs $2k; the cruiseline, financially, doesn't care if there is one person in the cabin or two - as long as they get their $2k they're happy.

The "single supplement" is indeed 100%. I travel solo so I've sort of gotten used to paying double. So a cruise that would cost a couple in a cabin $1k each, costs me $2k.

The price of the cabin, in reality, costs $2k; the cruiseline, financially, doesn't care if there is one person in the cabin or two - as long as they get their $2k they're happy.

Treven,

Thanks for your quick response. It has been years since I sailed RCI... RCCL... NORDIC PRINCE!!!!.

I can understand the 100% surcharge for top grade cabins but not in the lower grades. On HAL for exqample the surcharge in the lower grades is something like 35% to 50%... but rising to 100% in the suites. I just read today that Seabourn are charging only 10% single supplement!

What about the fares I mentioned... does the $1,700 sound right for an inside N category 7 day cruise?

Stephen

Can't look at the exact sailing because it is closed. But by looking at the following week yes the fare is correct. I show $1725.85 including taxes and insurance for Cat N.[/quot

Dear Autumn Rose,

Many thanks for the clarification. I guess her TA did his job properly.

Next time she books a cruise I hope she will call 'young brother' first!

Stephen

Wow! That's a lot of money! I think I'd rather be with a stranger than pay double. And, even at double that fare sounds high for an inside cabin. We went through cruisesonly to book our cruise and have a fantail superior ocean view balcony suite (D1) for only $100 more ($1800). I think there are a lot of deals out there to be had and those deals are available because the cruise lines always has people that don't mind paying the full fare. I have always been of the mindset (being single myself) that if I'm going to travel alone I'm going to wait until I can find the best possible deal, even if it means waiting until the last minute.

There is always some great bargain to be had if you can travel at a moments notice. On the other hand, if your schedule is limited, sometimes you have to pay the price to get what and when you want!

From what I've read on other boards, going to Alaska is going to be more pricey than say going to the Caribbean.

You only have a certain time "window" to cruise during the summer before all the ships head south. Plus their winters start earlier than say the rest of the U.S. because being so far north. I know their winters are brutal.

So, they can charge more because of the season time limit. I think its like what? 2 or 3 months? Plus, people want to go & will pay for it.

There's probably more reasons for the higher prices, but the experienced Alaska cruisers will know more.

Seems to me that the price of a single cabin should be slightly less than if it were occupied by two people since meals are included in the price of a cabin.

At the very least to compensate you you should be able to sit at both the early and late sittings! Not that I could eat that much! LOL!

Seems to me that the price of a single cabin should be slightly less than if it were occupied by two people since meals are included in the price of a cabin.

At the very least to compensate you you should be able to sit at both the early and late sittings! Not that I could eat that much! LOL!

LOL LOL!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input. I've had word frolm a TA that the fare of $1,700 pp for an inside on this sailing is in fact the correct fare.

Now, if you book for the same cruise NEXT year it is only about $1,000. Early bird catches the worm!!!!

Thanks again.

Stephen

Wow, Thats a lot.

We have been on 14 cruises, 8 to Alaska. Always in Balcony or better.

Mini Suite, Penthouse Suite and once Owners Suite.

Never paid more than $1600pp. Our next cruise on the Serenade 2nd July, $1399pp for a balcony, booked 3 weeks ago.

We always use V********To Go, and have never been Disappointed.

I went to a "RCI cruise information night" that a travel agency hosted...the RCI rep said the Alaskan Cruises are rarely discounted, due to supply and demand, theses ships always sail full and the price almost never goes down...and always increases closer to sail date...

That being said..I Only book thru RCI directly...have nwever used a TA...RCI has a 'no TA discount' policy anyway, so the price is the same, nomatter

...we booked our July Alaskan Cruise back in Dec and I have watched the fare increase by over $700 since then:eek: ...so your right ..if you want Alaska...book early!

PS: $1700 for an inside is about par...for the Roundtrip from Vancouver...

and yes, my FIL is paying double for his cabin, b/c he is a 'single'

Archived