White Pass Train - distance from ship

ghisl

I've decided to book this independently. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the dock to the train in terms of distance and time needed to walk? Thanks.

It's been a couple years, but if memory serves me correct it was "about" a 15 minute walk, but that could vary a little depending just where your ship docks.

-Monte

There were four ships berthed in Skagway when I went last week. The shortest walk (from the Star) was a few hundred feet. The farthest was one of the Princess ships, and if I remember correctly, they had a shuttle. So getting there should not pose a problem.

Jerry

We were in Alaska 2 weeks ago on the Diamond Princess. The train tracks are directly beside where the ship docked. That 4 mniute walk that another poster referred to was about right.

At its worst (if you have to walk to town to be picked up) its 10-15 minutes.

We were in Alaska 2 weeks ago on the Diamond Princess. The train tracks are directly beside where the ship docked. That 4 mniute walk that another poster referred to was about right.

At its worst (if you have to walk to town to be picked up) its 10-15 minutes.

To the OP remember that unless things have changed, if you book independently you will not be able to board next to the cruise ship. You will be required to walk to town.

-Monte

You have the farthest walk if you are at the Ore Dock or third ship back on the Railroad dock. The Broadway dock is steps away. But 15 mins. is very doable without mobility limitations, 20 taking your time- easy. :) There will be a shuttle from the dock to downtown, via SMART bus for $1.50 each way.

The independent train does board at the downtown depot, between 1st and 2nd. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

Does anyone know where the Serenade docks? We're looking into booking the train through the cruise line and I'm trying figure out how much time we'll need to get to the station. Also, if we plan to take the train in the morning and another excursion about 1 1/2 hours later in the afternoon, are there restaurants nearby where we could grab lunch, or should we hop back onto the ship to eat?

You have the farthest walk if you are at the Ore Dock or third ship back on the Railroad dock. The Broadway dock is steps away. But 15 mins. is very doable without mobility limitations, 20 taking your time- easy. :) There will be a shuttle from the dock to downtown, via SMART bus for $1.50 each way.

The independent train does board at the downtown depot, between 1st and 2nd. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

Thanks for the map, love the simple format - do you have links for Juneau and Ketchikan? We will be in on the Dawn Princess and booked the train privately, directly through the website. From looking at your map I can't seem to see the station - you said between 1st and 2nd, can you give me a few more details? (just like to know where we are going)

Thanks for all of the advise you give!

But 15 mins. is very doable without mobility limitations, 20 taking your time- easy. :)

When I'm in tourist mode, my walk is more of a meander. Yep, it's still only about 15 minutes.

BTW-Even if you board the train at the ship, IMO it's still worthwhile after your White Pass trip, to check out the depot. Actually, to me, everything in the downtown Skagway (and some things not in "downtown") is within walking distance.

-Monte

Thanks for the map, love the simple format - do you have links for Juneau and Ketchikan? We will be in on the Dawn Princess and booked the train privately, directly through the website. From looking at your map I can't seem to see the station - you said between 1st and 2nd, can you give me a few more details? (just like to know where we are going)

Thanks for all of the advise you give!

Between Broadway and Spring, tracks are visable on map. see if there are online maps- http://www.visit-ketchikan.com http://www.traveljuneau.com If you order the visitor guides, maps are included.

Does anyone know where the Serenade docks? We're looking into booking the train through the cruise line and I'm trying figure out how much time we'll need to get to the station. Also, if we plan to take the train in the morning and another excursion about 1 1/2 hours later in the afternoon, are there restaurants nearby where we could grab lunch, or should we hop back onto the ship to eat?

IF you are booking this through the ship, you will board at the dock, across from the ship, not at the downtown depot. You have plenty of time between tours.

Archived