Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head in same day??

lomillerin

We want to do these two things on our last day.

We are staying at the HHV for 3 nights following our POH cruise.

Our flight is not until 10:50pm and because we won't have a hotel to shower in, we do not want to do beach/swimming type activities that day.

I thought maybe we could do both of these in one day, but I have read that we should go early to both.

We could do Diamond Head on one of the other days, but what other suggestions for after Pearl Harbor on the last day? We do not want to go to a zoo or aquarium, just not our thing.

Added: We have kids ages 7 and 14.

How long should we plan for USS Arizona and USS Missouri if we get there early in the morning.

I thought of PCC after Pearl Harbor, but I don't think we can make it back to catch our flight after the evening show.

Any suggestions?

Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head are in opposite directions from HHV. So it might be a rush to do them both the same day, but possibly still doable. Pearl Harbor can be done in about 2½ hours (depending on how long you want to linger at the memorial) if there are no crowds and you don't have to wait long to get into the movie and take the boat to the memorial. I have been there when I had to wait several showing for our turn. It does seem to get more crowded/backed up in the afternoon.

If I were to choose one to do in the morning, though, it would be Diamond Head.

The PCC doesn't open until about noon. You could do Pearl Harbor and then head up to the PCC, but your concern about getting back in time for your flight is valid. Unless you are there at one of the occassional times (summer, holidays) that they put on two evening performances, the show doesn't usually get out until about 9pm, and it's at least an hour+ drive back to the airport. We have skipped the evening show before, in order to catch a flight, but that makes it less worth it to spend the $$ for the PCC.

Perhaps a CC member like Spleen can offer more information/suggestions.

We did both Pearl Harbor AND Diamond Head, plus walked Waikiki Beach from the Hilton Hawaiian Village to the statue of Duke Kahanamoku and had no problem doing it all in one day and we are both in our (early) 50's! On a Friday morning we took The Bus (city bus) to Pearl Harbor and back to our hotel with no problems. We got to Pearl Harbor about 10am and were in group 6 for the day's tours. We were at Pearl Harbor approximately 3 hours and really enjoyed our time there. it was an honor to see this memorial first-hand! There was even one of the Pearl harbor survivors there acting as an unofficial ambassador, and his stories weere enthralling.

We then caught The Bus back to our hotel which was the Aqua Palms right next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Changed our clothes and headed down the beach because we wanted to call some family members so they could see us in real time at the staue of Duke Kahanamoku. No one was home :( when we called! But we left several messages. Then we headed a couple blocks to the main highway where we caught another Bus which took us to the entrance of Diamond Head. We had some water bootles with us (thank goodness!) because it was quite warm and even though we are both in good physical condition, that hike up to the top of Diamond Head is VERY challenging! We met a great older Hawaiian gentlemen while we were up there who is retired and does this hike for exercise at least three wtimes every week! We struck up a nice conversation with him as we were walking down from Diamond head to the parking lot where we planned to just go and catch The Bus. This kind friendly gentleman insisted on driving my husband and I to our hotel and we after saying no several times we finally consented and thanked him profusely. What a great ambassador for Hawaiian hospitality!

We showered, changed and then headed out for drinks and dinner. After dinner we watched the wonderful Polynesian show trhat is free and held outdoors at Hilton Hawaiian Village followed by a wonderful fireworks display! What a great day we had!

The next morning we spent a few hours on Waikiki Beach before catching a cab to take us to Aloha Towers to board our cruise on the Pride of America. :)

YES! Our Hawaiian vacation was WONDERFUL! We did Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head all in one day pre-cruise as you read about above. On our last day after the cruise we also had a flight that did not leave until after 10 pm. We rented a car (from Thrifty) and did our own circle tour of Oahu. That was really a great day! So glad we got to see the rest of Oahu and not only the very busy and congested Waikiki part! We got a brochure from a tour company doing the circle tour before we left home, and then we simply planned the stops we wanted to see for the day. We started by going to Haunama Bay and following the outer route just like the tour buses do. Spent several hours at Waimea Falls Park which is now operated by the Audobon Society ($10 per person) plus $2. to park. Great easy hike to and from the beautiful falls, plus lovely botanical gardens and a waterfall you can swim under! LOVED THAT! We also stopped and saw all the beaches along the North Shore (including the famous Bonzai pipeline where we HAD to get pictures for our surfer son back home!) We continued all the way to the end of the highway and also got shave ice at Aokis with sweet beans and/or ice cream at the bottom (yumm!) Doubled back on the interior route to the Dole Plantation. Too late for a tour, but we enjoyed the gift shop and grounds. Yummy snacks there too, plus fresh pineapple packed so you can take it home on the plane. We had our car back to the Thrifty lot by the airport at about 7:30 and they shuttled us right it. Fantastic day with something for every age group! I also recommend the Oahu Revealed book! Great tips.. and I just checked it out of my local library right before we left home!

It is possible...but you aren't going to have very long at Pearl. I would suggest you try pearl harbor first. To visit the Arizona memorial is free (unless you want to donate), then I would suggest the USS Bowfin Sub. GREAT tour. It think it's something like $8-10 (Kamaina get a cheaper rate so I'm not sure, but if you're military you also get a lower rate). After that you should do the Might MO. This in itself could take an entire day (plenty of places to get lost in). While you are there I suggest you eat at the mess hall on board the ship. It's fun.

Diamond Head is a strenuous hike (to say the least). I'm not sure how happy your 7 year old will be by the time you hit the stairs at the top. The view at the top is nice, but on a crowded day, it can be a bit cramped up there.

So, can you do both in a single day? Sure. Will doing both in a single day allow you to feel as though you truly experienced them both? Maybe not. Plus, without showers, Diamond Head will leave you sweaty and dirty. I would suggest only doing Pearl on your last day on Oahu.

I think we will do Diamond Head one of our other mornings.

We will do Pearl Harbor on the last day, but we don't fly out until 10:50pm. What other suggestions would be good after Pearl Harbor? Not too strenuous.

We will eat dinner somewhere. ??

Also, how long will it take to get to Pearl Harbor from HHV? How long to Diamond Head?

Pearl Harbor is about a 20-30 min. drive in the Ewa direction (away from Waikiki just past the airport). Diamond Head is in the opposite direction. If you are staying in one of the hotels on the "strip" or on the beach, then that road is one way. It will take you in the direction of Diamond Head. Depending on where you are staying it should be a 10-20 min. drive (all depends on how congested traffic is). Your Cruise should be leaving from Aloha Tower. This place is awesome for dinner! Everything from the sleezy "Hooters" to Don Ho's restaurant, to Gordon Biersch (spelling?)

During the day, depending on what day of the week, if you are visiting Pearl on a Wednesday or on the Weekend there is an AWESOME flea market (at the Aloha Stadium 2 min. away from Pearl). It's 50 cents to enter and you can find amazing souviners. You could drop by there after Pearl Harbor. I do think they close early (3 ish) but it would be worth a try.

Archived