JFK to Red hook

rrunner

We are sailing on the QM2 in September. We are going to park in the Avistar lot at JFK - has anyone had a problem with taxi drivers going to Red Hook from there or JFK in general. The train into Grand Central would be more convenient - after reading about problems with the taxi drivers - we do not want to risk getting to the ship late. We will be flying back into Kennedy so having our car there is convenient - saves us getting the CT Limo back.

We are sailing on the QM2 in September. We are going to park in the Avistar lot at JFK - has anyone had a problem with taxi drivers going to Red Hook from there or JFK in general. The train into Grand Central would be more convenient - after reading about problems with the taxi drivers - we do not want to risk getting to the ship late. We will be flying back into Kennedy so having our car there is convenient - saves us getting the CT Limo back.

No just get into the cab. There is a TLC dispatcher at the airport and they will take you with no problem(take the avistar van into the airport). The train to grand central means taking the airtrain to Jamaica and changing to the subway- and then a cab who may give you a hard time without a dispatcher around. you really don't want to do this with luggage. Do you want to know the shortest way ?or will you feel comfortable with the Cab driver taking you the long way on belt parkway...24 miles and 35 minutes no traffic(60.00 or so plus tip). the short way is 16 miles on the streets and it takes 45 miniutes no matter when you go...its the northern conduit west to atlantic avenue. Atlantic avenue straight until it ends(under the BQE overpass make the left and then the first right- $45.00 or so plus tip.

I always get in the cab and tell them then where I am going. Sometimes they aren't too happy but they are providing me a service and I do tip generously (20% or more) and they are invariably happy when I get out(except one cab driver who driving I objected to-- he stopped right on top of every car and when they stopped to do something he couldn't get around them and would just blare his horn- not a smart cabby who I didn't tip at all- years ago)...PS I drove a cab in NY and worked for the DMV...teaching a driving class,,among other things...but I also know how to get where I am going..

Thank you for your advice. We have decided to take the Cunard transfers from JFK for $80.00 - not much more than the taxi fare + tip. They tell me pickup is from 9:30am. Since we are not arriving on a flight we will need to arrange a pickup spot - they were a little unsure about this a first then agreed it was okay.:)

Archived