Q for family travelers who've done cruises before (re: attitudes)

Already In Love

I enjoy reading these message boards, and I know there is a lot of great advice to be had, but sometimes when I log off at the end of the day, I'm left feeling like maybe I shouldn't go on a cruise at all.

I feel a bit uncomfortable with all the posts that sound like they're coming from a world away. An upper-crust, older generation who can't stand the "average" person who has a family and who SAVES to go on a cruise. A lot of the posts leave me feeling like other cruisers would be a heck of a lot happier if the cruise ship could be limited to couples with annual incomes over $150,000 and who live and dress and dine like they own a penthouse in NYC.

Some of the message boards on this site are a bit worse than others, and there are always posts from people saying "who cares what others think, have fun!"....

But I'm worried, Can I have fun if I'm constantly being looked down upon? Do you actually get that snooty feeling once you're on the ship? Is it possible to just relax and be care free and have fun with your kids on the ship without feeling like you're always "ruining" someone elses vacation?

We aren't country bumpkins, but even if we were.. dont' we deserve to have a good time too? Just because we can only afford an inside cabin and we can't go splurge on entirely new wardrobes for the cruise, I dont' think that should make us second class citizens once on a cruise ship, and that's the impression I get from some of the posts here. (not here on "family cruising" but on some of the other msg boards).

We live in a rural-ish area (pop 70,000) and are probably considered middle class (I'm a nurse, husband's a writer). Our 2 kids ages 3 and 8 are well behaved for the most part but the 3 yo does get naughty sometimes. They aren't "run amok" kids but they aren't "children should be seen and not heard" kids either.

Okay, just wanted to vent. Hopeing that I'll get a bunch of responses that agree with me that the tone of these message boards can be a bit negative sometimes, but that once your on the ship it's easy to have a blast and you don't really get the feel that you're "lowly" compared to the other passangers.

~AIL

Ail,

as i read your post, i definitely emphathize w/you and i also know that you will prob get some backlash for it. maybe not as much on the "family cruising" section, but you never know...people can get VERY opinionated. sometimes there are nasty lurkers about. i feel exactly as you do and in the last few years i have been hesitant to post certain famiy related questions. but on a good note, i want to tell you that i have been on 5 cruises, two have been w/my son. he was 16 mos on the first and 28 months on the second. we went on NCL and RCCL respectively. we had a wonderful time and not once did i ever be made to feel like i didn't "belong" or that i was a pariah. the staff always made my son feel extra special and all the fellow passengers treated him nicely also. i also agree that sometimes children can get unruly and nobody, including, people who have children like to see and hear kids running amok. but just like everything else in life, you do what you think is best for you family and i am sure you will do it w/respect of others....b/c that is just good parenting ;)

Best of luck

gina

We've done numerous cruises on Celebrity, Princess and Carnival. I've never noticed a snootish-ness factor. Most people cruising are just ordinary folks from every walk of life but mostly middle-class. Are some people more particular than others? Yeah, but not more so than at other social affairs/vacations. We've found almost everyone to be very friendly and accepting. We've only cruised once with kids, last year on the Triumph with grandkids 5, 5, 4 & 3 and didn't notice anyone looking askance at them; and believe me, they are normal, active kids--no naughtier or better than most young kids. Just as you will, we kept them in control and didn't take them to venues that were not appropriate for young children. Some cruise lines and/or itineraries have far fewer kids due to various factors, mainly time of year and length of cruise.

I haven't cruised any of the super-expensive cruise lines but I have a feeling most people on them are very well-mannered and would never try to make some one feel they were hicks or yokels.

BTW, we live in the country and out nearest town is only pop. 350! and we fit in fine. You don't have to be 'city', rich, part of the elite, etc. to enjoy cruising. Hardly anyone else is either.

But I'm worried, Can I have fun if I'm constantly being looked down upon? Do you actually get that snooty feeling once you're on the ship? Is it possible to just relax and be care free and have fun with your kids on the ship without feeling like you're always "ruining" someone elses vacation?

Hi, AIL. I totally understand! We didn't discover Cruise Critic until after our third cruise, and a part of me is happy about that because of exactly what you're saying. I'm happy to let you know that I have NEVER felt that I was being "looked down upon" on a cruise. If you look at my signature, you'll see that we've always cruised with our youngest DD and our upcoming cruise will be the second for one of our older DD. Cruising is a great family vacation!

No matter where you go you'll encounter rude or snobbish people--these message boards are no different. I think one of the problems with a message board like this is that the posters are anonymous. Many people post things they might never say actually to you. I've found my fellow cruisers, for the most part, to be friendly, polite people who are there for the same reasons we are--to enjoy their vacations and have a great time with their loved ones.

Please don't be put off by the messages on the board. I think you'll find most of the messages to be informative and enjoyable--unfortunately there are those who feel the need to push their opinions as the only right ones. The more controversial the subject, the more people seem to get snobbish or preachy--attire for formal nights being a prime example.

We live in a rural-ish area (pop 70,000) and are probably considered middle class.

We're also from Oregon (Hillsboro)--where are you? Just curious. I grew up in southern Oregon and moved to Portland in 1982.

Anyway, I hope you'll take some of the more judgmental messages with a grain of salt!

Regards,

Jayne

Our first cruise was with DS 5 (turned 6 on the cruise) and DD 25 months. We have since cruised three more times, the last when DS was 7 and DD 3. All of our cruises have been on Carnival (they were the only line to take a 2 year old in camp AND change diapers, so they were by default the line for us! Now that DD is three and potty trained, we could choose any line, but we've had such great experiences at what we perceive to be a great value, that we continue to choose Carnival - even for our eastern Med. cruise next year! :D )

We have always met very nice people on board. I've never felt any sense of not belonging because we've brought the kids. The staff goes out of their way with children, not just the camp staff, but everyone. Many fellow cruisers have also paid special attention to the kids. Many grandparents ask how old they are, and then tell us about their grandchildren.

I was lucky enough to find these boards before my first cruise. I read a lot of things similar to what's causing you concern. IMHO, some of the complaints about children seemed pretty legit to me. I took the remarks of those who have problems with kids on cruises and used those that were reasonable as a basis of our dos-and-donts list.

For example, I reminded the kids that the ship is like a hotel and hotel rules apply: NO running, skipping or walking fast in the halls, only quietest whisper voices in the hall, no jumping in the cabin, voices needed to remain at a quiet inside voice even in the cabin and on the balcony. Then I re-emphasized simple courtesy: single file to the right on the stairs so there can be "two-way" traffic, people on the elevator get off BEFORE we try to get on, we only push the button for the floor we need. Then, cruise specific rules: the pool was off-limits to DD (when still wearing Pull Ups), hot tubs (adults only or otherwise) were off-limits for DS, the adult only pool is just that, the NO running, etc., rule applies to DS when he is getting back in line for the slide. Also, the kids were dressed appropriately in the dining room -meaning jacket and tie for DS on formal nights and no shorts or jeans and we've eaten each and every dinner in the dining room.

Obviously because of their age, they go nowhere without us, but as they get older, the behavior standards will vary, but I will be just as strict. They know that travel is a priviledge. They also know if they "forget" and act inappropriately, the next camp session is not going to happen for them. They love it so much, it is a HUGE motivator towards good behavior. ;)

I also have a talk with them before embarking and disembarking. It's sometimes hard for them to stand relatively still when waiting in lines, etc. Where possible, I set them up somewhere out of the way but in clear view to do something that interests them (DS's Gameboy, a coloring book for DD). We always arrive at the port the day before sailing if we are traveling to it. That way, after the tedious wait in the airport and the flight, they have a chance to use the hotel pool and get a good night's sleep. Makes them better mannered in the morning while we embarking.

I basically try to mindful that while we choose to travel with our kids, some prefer to leave their children at home and aren't looking for kids invading their vacation space. I'm also mindful that not everyone can be expected to find my children as adorable as I do. I remember in the days before kids watching certain scenes unfold and thinking to myself, "why on earth would anyone voluntarily do that?" (Now, of course, I understand completely, but realize that many others do not. :p )

I understand how, during embarkation for example, an adult could find it wearing on the nerves to be around a child fooling around, potentially bumping into them or their luggage, or playing with the ropes designating lines, or bickering with a sibling, particularly if they have been traveling since very early morning, are tired, and either are not used to being around small children or have left their own at home for a break.

I think most cruisers are tolerant of children (and their occasionally somewhat less than desirable behavior), if the parents are clearly making an effort. I think alot of the complaints arise when the parents are not "parenting". I take my parenting vacation when the kids are in camp, but otherwise, I'm on duty!

I also choose shore excursions carefully. No 9 hour, 4 of them on a bus, trips for us! I try to find things that will appeal to the kids and that are appropriate for their age. In our 4 cruises, we've taken one ship-sponsored shore excursion. All others have been ones I've arranged prior to sailing with the help of the wonderful CC members on the Ports of Call boards. The see-it-all-in-a-day approach is not going to work with little kids, IMHO.

In my experience, cruising is the BEST with small kids. It beats anything else we've tried (well, I've heard AI's with kids camps are great, too, but I can't get DH to stay in one place for more than a day or two!) I would just choose a line that markets to families, even if you are going at a time, or on an itinerary, that likely to have few children. Otherwise, go and enjoy!

My wife and I will be taking our 9th cruise this summer... this will be our children's 3rd! They are now 11 and 8. All of our cruises with our children have been on NCL. Mostly for convience but also the freestyle cruising is perfect for our family at this time.

They love to cruise and we have preferred this type of vacation to anything else. We both believe that the children should not be running all over the ship and we have taught our children to be respectful, use their manners, and that they are guests on the ship. We tell them that yes this is a vacation but it is not a playground and there are rules. Our kids are not angels...they are good kids..... but they get overtired from all the fun and sun and this is when we take a break in the cabin for some quiet time. We anticipate and plan down time and make sure that they have their gameboys, books, and some things to occupy their time during wait times like embarkation.

The Kids Crew on NCL is fantastic....for them and for us....when they are "at camp" we relax more....when the kids are with us...one or both of us is "on duty". NCL handed out a list of rules that pertained to children's behavior at Kids Crew but also on the ship. Things like...no children under 13 can be in the elevator without a parent...and such. We went over this with them so they understood.

They both have been wonderful on shore excursions....however, we do our homework and pick things that are geared for children and adults.

They love to go to the dining room and the waitstaff on NCL have treated both children with lots of special attention and the kids love it!

If you are cruising in the summer, you will find that many families will be onboard as well. The cruise line and the destinations also are a factor on how many other kids will be on board.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you for the responses and encouragement.

We're traveling RCL to the mexican riveria in October (a time when there may be less kids than normal d/t school (??)).

Jayne I'm from So. Oregon too. Lived here all of my life (Except for my stint in Eugene at UofO 1996-2000).

I am not so much worried about my children's behavior. They are generally well behaved and understand concepts of politeness and not running and adults-only etc.

I think I was (am?) more worried that it is ME and my husband who will be out of place, and that having kids along will only make everyone think worse of us. The formal attire issue is one that has really stressed me out. I went on the "cruise fashion" board to get an idea for what "formal" is, because honestly I'm not a girly-girl, I dont' often dress up in more than a summery skirt, and I had no idea how fancy was fancy. After reading a lot of the posts on that board I felt like cruising was maybe not for me. I dont' like to be around adults who act like children or frat boys or who get intoxicated and agressive, but I also don't like being around adults who think they're so much better than everyone else because they can afford to buy 2 different formal dresses with matching bags and wraps and shoes and jewlery. I go on vacation to relax and while I also believe in the things that I teach my children (to be polite and respectful and patient and have empathy for others), but I don't go out of my way to be "formal" and "refined". KWIM?

Anyway, thanks again for your encouragement. I hope that we'll go and this will all seem silly after we get there.

~AIL

We're traveling RCL to the mexican riveria in October (a time when there may be less kids than normal d/t school (??)).

You're correct. There will be fewer kids onboard in October--as opposed to summer or holidays.

I think I was (am?) more worried that it is ME and my husband who will be out of place, and that having kids along will only make everyone think worse of us.

From my experience, I'd say you really have nothing to worry about. I've never cruised WITHOUT kids and have never felt out of place or that people were thinking poorly of us.

The formal attire issue is one that has really stressed me out.

Okay, this is one that used to stress me out, too! I saw a poll (I believe it was on the Fashion board) that asked how women dress for formal nights. Last time I looked at it, floor-length gowns were winning by a land slide. I was a bit surprised by that as I've always seen only a handfull of floor-length gowns on formal night, and most women have worn cocktail dresses.

On every cruise, I've opted for black slacks (I have some that are rather formal) and a "sparkly" blouse or a black blouse and a "fancy" duster--I have several as I'm very tall and dusters look really good on tall women!

Another option is the "Little Black Dress." You can wear the same LBD and different jewelery and shoes for each formal night and you'll fit in just fine.

Anyway, thanks again for your encouragement. I hope that we'll go and this will all seem silly after we get there.

I hope you go, too. And, if you do, I think you're right--this will all seem silly after you get there!

And, now, on a more personal note:

Jayne I'm from So. Oregon too. Lived here all of my life (Except for my stint in Eugene at UofO 1996-2000).

Okay, where? I was born in Roseburg and my family moved to Grants Pass when I was two. I graduated from GPHS. I moved to Ashland when I was 21 and then came to Portland when I was 24 (1982). Married my DH in 1993 and moved to Arizona, then moved back to Portland in 1999 (absolutely hated Arizona!)

AIL, please relax and don't stress so much about your upcoming cruise. You'll have a wonderful time! Personally, I think there's no better way to travel... especially with a family!

Take care,

Jayne

I just posted my review of my Zandaam HAL Alaska trip w/ kids. I too was anxious about the child issues. My impression is that the message boards are worse than reality.

Re: fashion. I'm from NYC and have done the fashion thing, so I feel qualified to say it is okay to be casual. There's a whole range. If you avoid real casual stuff like sweats, you'll be fine. No shorts in dining rooms etc., but if you just wear Kakhis and a nice shirt you'll be fine 90% of the time. A shirt and skirt is nice for dinner, but it doesn't have to be expensive fashion. Some people are more dressy than others, but there's a wide range. Most people were neat and tidy, but not following high fashion.

I didn't want to lug tux or suit for my husband for formal nights because they are heavy. Despite the boards sounding as if we'd stand out as slobs, my husband and many, many others, did fine with a blue blazer, tie, nice shirt, and nice pants. He wore that outfit for 2 formal nights and our family party dinner. It was fine. If your cruise has formal nights, I'd recommend jacket and tie at least.

Only caveat is that for formal night, women and girls really had fun with dressing up. A simple black knee-length dress would be fine, but I'd recommend something fun but not expensive. I got a long black column dress from Talbots for $78, and now it is on sale for $48--it's available online now at talbots.com, if you want to snap it up now. They sell imitation pashminas on board for $10. It makes a very formal look for reasonable money. Lots of people wore the same formal outfit over and over, so you only need one, unless you think it is fun to dress up, as did my kids, who had fun with lots of different outfits.

no worries, Ive been reading some posts on here, no not as a lurker but as someone who is hoping I will enjoy a cruise and want to come back WITH my kids (by then youngest will be 12 and oldest 21) my oldest has been watching her sister since she was a baby (Im very ill woman) so hubby and I are traveling alone this time since I just got out of hospital again this April, my kids are thrilled for us as we NEVER travel, like 2 times in 6 years for about 2 days. I was worried about kids being next to my cabin, not anywhere else because I am really into kids, I taught music and voice they are wonderful. I have trouble sleeping with huge tumor now on my upper back (that was just a fun little thing that got added to my health), so not only was I freaking (still am) about how I would handle things physicaly, but fashion ye gads what does an 89 pound woman wear with humps, skull missing and feeling like Quazimoto!,ha,ha,ha,ha. you see were no diffrent, Im middleclass (if there is still one), I will be in My wheelchair, I couldnt even get a HC room becuase alot of people that are NOT in them use them also.

You might feel the way you do becasue of what people write I TOTALLY GET IT!, but I was going through threads here from the past and I had to sit here and read a woman saying in defense of kids that what about this and that person yada yada yada and Oh those people in WHEELCHAIRS who NIP at my heels!!!!! how do you think that made ME feel, I told my husnand , "well here is how people feel, donest matter what board you read even the family one there are people who are just that way, they are mean. I hope my cruise does trun out nuice and that we can afford for us all to go someimte next year its a strech but my kids would SO love it they too have good manners and are nice people, my youngset though can talk your head off,ha,ha so we would need ajoining rooms. Its alot of money your spedning so ENJOY IT! and just give them the rules ahead of time as I would and be as you would at home, loving and kind. I personaly LOVE when kids will come up to my Wheelchair and say HI!!!!!!, it rarley happens becasue parents dont teach them that we are just people too, Im not contagious I just happen to have Brain illness and spinalcord and I want to enjoy my vacation too.. you sound really nice and I hope other parents are nice like you and will teach there kids not to be afraid of people likeme, Im prettyyoung only in 40s, but if a kid comes up to me I will smile and say" Hey cutie arent you a sweet one to say hello to me" it REALLY makes my day. Im also worried people bumping into me it happens all the time with no apolgies, on a ship Im SO worried about this as I have hardwaer in head and spine, I cant waer a formal either but will always be neat and clean and do my best, I found a cockatil dress but I ruined it last night, I cried , I was trying to put new bra cups in it becasue waering a bra for long is painful for me, well I accidently ripped into the Chiffon material and ruined it so I woke up today and said" no biggie Im going to find something", Im too tired to sew one currently. and Im NOT going to bring so many clothes either just pants and shorts (2 pair each), and dress and a skirt possibly. When people see my swimsuite and that large hump on my back I know Im just going to feel 1 ft tall, but my husannmd will tell me I look lovley and then all will be fine.

ENJOYY taking a Trip and I will try to enjoy also and lets NOT worrry about wAht others think so much, I know its hard but try.

GOd BLess

Live LIFe Jo

...I think I was (am?) more worried that it is ME and my husband who will be out of place, and that having kids along will only make everyone think worse of us. The formal attire issue is one that has really stressed me out...

Boy can I relate!

I felt exactly the same way on our first cruise (and that was long before Cruise Critic - or even the internet). I couldn't find a tux rental shop that would rent for 10 days (the 7 day cruise plus travel time) for a reasonable price so I decided my dark blue suit would have to do.

Then we got an upgrade to a higher floor where our TA said the suites were located. Talk about intimidating. I expected the Rolls Royce set to be our neighbors and tablemates.

We were ready to scrap the whole idea but didn't. Thank goodness.

The boarding process went so quickly we never got to meet anyone shoreside so once we got to our cabin, we felt lonely and abandoned.

That lasted only until we attended the lifeboat drill and finally met some other people. OMG, they were nice! And friendly! And some were as apprehensive as we were!

Then we went to dinner and met our tablemates. A couple from eastern Washington whose kids pooled together to give them their first cruise for their 25th anniversary, the ship's chaplain and a single guy who had many cruises under his belt and who had all the answers, even to questions we wanted answers to.

The couple was more apprehensive than we were, so it was a great mutually supportive situation.

In the, roughly, 5 hours from boarding to dessert after dinner, our attitude went from uncomfortable to WOW! this will be fun.

Formal night was even better. The neighbors in our next door cabin came out when we did; she in a "Sunday, go to meeting" dress and he in a leather sport jacket with a bolo tie. And I in my blue suit, solid blue tie and white shirt and my wife in a fancy cocktail dress.

Bottom line; some things remain the same and some things have changed. Formal nights on most ships are even less formal. First timers are still apprehensive but the Cruise Director can change that quickly.

Don't worry. Just remember there will be others who will need your friendship to feel more welcome and you can be their saving grace.

in responce to OP:

Relax the past cruises ive been on have been a blast! I never once got the feeling that I wasnt welcome or that I was ruining someone elses cruise!

I have been on CCL RCL princess and Celeb. and none of them had unwelcoming guests/staff. Everyone is out to enjoy their trip just as much as you are!

We are going on our 2nd cruise this August on Carnival Valor with our 3 kids, who will be 12, 7 and 2 at that time. I sure hope nobody will make us feel out of place. I know Carnival is full of kids, so I am not too worried.

Im like you. We also get inside cabins, and we do not buy all new wardrobes before we go. We are a one income family and have been saving for this trip for 18 months. The kids may get a few new things, but nothing fancy. Sometimes I think people on here, are a little more, how do I put it, "upfront" then in real life.

A lot of people on the boards think its just plain crazy to travel with small kids on a cruise. I know many people who would NEVER take small ones on a cruise, saying they wouldnt enjoy it much etc... to each their own.

People may think I am crazy. With my almost 2 yr old we will be bringing with us, diapers, sippy cups, stroller, carseat etc... I know many people would not want to deal with that, but thats ok, they dont have too.;)

We are at about 8 weeks until our cruise, and I can not wait:) .

I understand what you are saying. Don't worry, you will "fit" in fine. This is YOUR vacation - enjoy it. I have found that the majority of passengers are incredibly friendly. Everyone is in a good mood - They're on vacation! That is one thing everyone has in common no matter what your background is.

One bit of advise I share with everyone I know that is going on a cruise- I go to my local GoodWill or Salvation Army or Consignment shops to find party dresses. Sometimes I can find some really nice stuff to wear on formal night as I can't see paying alot of money for something I will wear 1 or 2 times per year.

There are also alot of people who choose not to dress up on that night and they eat in the casual dining room. Not a big deal.

We are taking our (will be when sailing) 11 month old on a 5night cruise in December and we plan on having a blast!!!!!

I'm a long-time cruiser (first cruise in 1991) and a relatively long-time poster. I'm always a bit curious as to who some of the snobs one encounters on these boards are!

I'm a small town girl (population 5000) married to a small town boy (population 200) living in a small city (Green Bay, Wisconsin). I've never felt out of place on board. Most folks on-board are middle-middle class who come from all over the place (our second to last cruise, we were seated at a table for 12 with 2 from Christchurch New Zeeland, 2 from a suburb of Toronto, 2 from a tiny town in northern England, and 3 from Napa California - our waiter was from India and his assistant from Kimberley South Africa).

We've travelled with our DD since she was 8MO (land, sea and air). She's been to six countries on three continents, and in 20 states (she's now 10) and she's always been a joy to travel with. Neither she or we have ever felt ostrasized because of her being a child. None of us have ever been felt to feel looked down upon because we were mid-western hicks (unless perhaps we are SO naive and backward as to not even notice it! :D )

I once sat on an airplane next to a guy from Boston and a guy from Atlanta, who made very disparaging remarks about Green Bay being a hick town - somehow they didn't notice I was sitting next to them until about 5 minutes before we were to land - the major transgressor tried to pretend it was just a joke. I told him not to worry and explained how great my life is in GB (how we paid $100,000 for our 2500 SqFt house on an acre of fully wooded hillside 10 minutes from my work) and how we in the Midwest appreciate "provincial coasties" such as them spreading such tales because if the rest of the country knew how great it is in the Midwest that all the coastie jerks would move here and ruin our way of life. I finished by saying that I hoped their trip would be productive and offered (although he turned me down:eek: !) to mention our conversation to So-and-so the Senior VP of Buying at the discount store that the one mentioned was going to visit on this trip (because afterall his daughter was in my GS troop).

My point is, talk is cheap. The guy from Atlanta thought he was being funny and, while bored on the trip, struck up a conversation with the guy next to him. Atlanta had been to GB before and thought he could make himself look 'cool' to the guy from Boston. Same thing on these boards - lots of folks seem to want you to believe that they cruise more often and in higher priced accommodations than they probably do. Many of the people who go off on families crusing, are in many cases repeating a horror story that someone else related to them. A room service tag knocked off by someone passing their room, becomes a gang of teen aged hooligans pillageing the passageway and stealing ALL the room service tags. Some of the same women going on about what is and is not "formal" are the ladies dressed in the borderline formal gown that is 8 years old (and two sizes too small!). Take what they say with a grain of salt. Enjoy!

There are all sorts on a 2,500+ person cruise ship so you'll be fine! If the formal night thing is still stressing you out, remember that you can always still get a great meal at places other than the main dining room! There are many people who just skip formal night. Have fun!

I understand the feeling that those of us with (pick any of the following) children, tattoos, less money are looked at as uncouth secondary citizens by more than a handful on this message board.

Also, am very happy to hear that the actual experience is nothing like this class concious talk once on the ship. :)

On another note... I was born in Roseburg too. Though only lived there as a baby. After much moving about, my family and I now reside in Portland. I had no idea there are so many from Oregon on this message board! :)

~Rebecca

I too will be traveling with two children on an upcomming cruise and hope that my two boys will behave themselves.

The bottom line is you paid for your vacation just like everyone else. It's yours to enjoy. This is not to say children should be let loose on the ship.

Dress up night can be fun or a pain, so skip it or do it the way you want to do it. So often it's all the way you carry it. I have seen people decked out and not be comfortable and in turn not look so good. The other side is being under dressed for an ocassion and keeping your head high anyway. Have confidence in whatever you decide to do.

I've never encountered that attitude on a ship and to be honest, don't really get a lot of it here. It's a minority of very vocal folks saying to leave the kids at home etc. I've cruised with my children and never had an issue. I sew most of my clothes and never heard a comment. Do I think people should dress appropriatly? Yes, but that does not mean that they need to buy a new wardrobe to do it. I made one of my formal gowns myself, hand beaded the thing. I think it cost me less than $25.00. No one has breathed a word about it.

Go and have fun. I think the attitude is that some people use the ship as a babysitter for children that think they should run wild and scream, pound on doors etc. That some people push others and act in a rude manner. That can happen in some very nice clothes.

Our family of four (kids now 14 and 11) love cruising. We've gone on a cruise the last four April school vacations and find that we all don't want to return to land vacations. We love the sea!

I also wondered before our first cruise what the mix of passangers would be like. The mix has been so different on each one - two out of Miami, one out of NY, one 10-day out of Ft. Lauderdale. We've sailed NCL twice and PRincess twice. Our favorite was the 10-day Coral Princess.

I've found that we've met many wonderful people in our travels and not many who found kids to be a pain!

Funny story...on our last cruise, my son found this guy who loved to play ping pong. He was probably 50's, had many tatoos, drank a beer or two as he played and was an EXCELLENT ping pong player. My 11-year old son learned all sorts of new ping pong moves. He said alot of people would be turned off by this guy because he looked "different" but he thought he was really nice for taking the time to play ping pong with him and he doesn't judge a book by it's cover.....pretty smart kid!!!

Go have fun...as someone told me.....wear a bikini...there is always someone bigger than you and a tanned tummy always looks better!!! Most people are SO NICE!!!

I just had to respond to the op regarding this subject. You shouldnt worry about what others think. I feel there are more regular people that are on these cruises than you think. I have done carnival, disney, and just recently princess to Alaska last month, and I have not really encountered to many snooty people at all. As far as dressing goes, you wear what you think looks nice. Believe me there are all kinds of people out there. Please dont feel intimidated by others that think they might be better than you. It is your cruise and you can have a great time. I am a person that also gets inside cabins, it is my choice I am getting another inside cabin for this month for a short cruise with my 10 year old daughter. My reasoning is I could spend alot on a balcony for one cruise and have a great room, or I could get the inside least expensive cabin and go on 2 cruises, a short one and the 7 day alaska. So dont think that people that get the inside lowest price cabin are not as good as the people in the highest price cabins. There are all sorts of reasons for why people do what they do. Dont worry, have a drink, listen to the music, watch the water and have the time of your life, you deserve it just like anybody else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I honestly think that once you are on the ship you will realize that most people are just like you and there to have a good time. Unless you draw attention to yourself, most won't even notice you. As long as you are dressed neatly and you don't let your kids run wild or scream in restaurants, no one will "look down" on you. Many people have also saved their pennies just to take a cruise.

We have been on a few cruises with our children (this will be our second with our ds, and the 3rd with our dd). We found that most people loved our kids. The older ladies made all sorts of comments about their grandchildren back home, and the staff of HAL (mostly indonesian fellows) loved our kids, as they were missing theirs back home too. The staff knew our kids' names by day two of the cruise, ... seriously. Formal nites were fun. Everyone thought the kids looked so cute all dressed up, and I wore a skirt with a jacket or glittery top. Nothing too fancy. Dh wore dockers, tie, shirt and a jacket. If you aren't into the formal thing, just go to the buffett those nights, but it really can be fun. I didn't find anyone to look down on us. THe ships are full, and ya know what? You aren't the only one that got an inside room cause that's all you can afford. Yeah, you and about a million other cabins are inside, kwim? personally, the extra $$ for a family to pay for a verandah (unless you are swimming in money, which we are NOT) is not worth the money. All you do is sleep there, otherwise you are off doing things, seeing the sights etc. And at night you sleep like a baby cause it's nice and dark.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you will have a great time, people will not look down on you, just relax, have fun with the fam, and enjoy it!

Archived