Living In Halifax....

Rick1965,

You do have some great suggestions! We will be in Halifax sept 18 while on Explorer OTS and were wondering who you would recommond for a tour company? We're going to be there noon to 7pm and don't want to do a ship tour. We've been to your beautiful city before, done the pub tour (yellow hats and all.. LOVE IT!!), Peggy's Cove, Titanic, and went to the Citadel. This time we would love to do something different. Mobilty limits using the double decker bus. Would like to rent a car and go have a nice early dinner after driving around the city. Could this be possible? Do you have any dining reccommodations? and would you like to join us for dinner? You have been so very helpful, I'd like to say thank you for shaing your knowledge with us. Pls email me @ paulaspage2006@bellsouth.com if you would be interested. Thanks again for all your suggestions!

H2OLady2006

I'll be in Halifax on 9/4. I'm taking the ship's Titanic Treasurers tour which begins at 2:30. I would like some ideas about what to do in the morning (ending with a good seafood lunch) which would get me back to the ship around 2:00. Thanks.

Rick--We are driving down to Halifax to meet friends coming in on the Maasdam on Sept 15th. Could you tell me if there are any restrictions re cars using the parking lot outside of Pier 21 on days that cruiseships are in port. If there are, could you suggest a good place to park nearby so we could connect with our friends. We know Halifax well but have never tried to meet a cruiseship there before. If the weather is bad we want to be quite close so they won't have to walk too far in the rain. Not to suggest that it ever rains in Halifax:D --only in Saint John.

I am assuming that it will be Pier 21---do they dock anywhere else? Saint John has a website showing which piers will be used. Does Halifax have a similar website?

My wife and I will be in Halifax, October 17, Caribbean Princess ship. Where does it dock? Is there stuff to see close by the pier?

One of the tours we were thinking of doing is an all-day pass onboard a guided double-decker bus. It stops at the Citadel, Keith's Brewery, Maritime Museum, etc. Should I get this through Princess or can I buy the pass myself through the bus-line?

Another option we were thinking is doing the Pub Tour. I see Alexander Keith's Brewery as probably the tour place. How far is this from the pier?

Rick--We are driving down to Halifax to meet friends coming in on the Maasdam on Sept 15th. Could you tell me if there are any restrictions re cars using the parking lot outside of Pier 21 on days that cruiseships are in port. If there are, could you suggest a good place to park nearby so we could connect with our friends. We know Halifax well but have never tried to meet a cruiseship there before. If the weather is bad we want to be quite close so they won't have to walk too far in the rain. Not to suggest that it ever rains in Halifax:D --only in Saint John.

I am assuming that it will be Pier 21---do they dock anywhere else? Saint John has a website showing which piers will be used. Does Halifax have a similar website?

You probably were asking the Rick who started this thread but I'll try to answer it. I don't know if there are restrictions but about two weeks ago they blocked off most of the parking area in front of the pier due to construction and so parking may be limited. There are several parking lots along Lower Water st. fairly close to the pier (about 5 minute walk). The closer to the pier the less expensive. I don't recall for sure but I think there is some on street parking near the pier. I walk done there almost every day and I will check on Tuesday when I get back to work.

They do dock at Pier 21. It can hold two ships but if there are more sometimes the extra ship will dock near the container pier.

My wife and I will be in Halifax, October 17, Caribbean Princess ship. Where does it dock? Is there stuff to see close by the pier?

One of the tours we were thinking of doing is an all-day pass onboard a guided double-decker bus. It stops at the Citadel, Keith's Brewery, Maritime Museum, etc. Should I get this through Princess or can I buy the pass myself through the bus-line?

Another option we were thinking is doing the Pub Tour. I see Alexander Keith's Brewery as probably the tour place. How far is this from the pier?

The ships usually dock at Pier 21. You can follow the boardwalk for about a mile and there is lots to see and do. You will walk right by the Maritime Museum. Keiths Brewery is located along Lower Water St. about a 10 minute walk from the pier. Lower Water St is first St up and is parallel to the boardwalk.

I can't answer about the bus other than I have seen it around.

You probably were asking the Rick who started this thread but I'll try to answer it. I don't know if there are restrictions but about two weeks ago they blocked off most of the parking area in front of the pier due to construction and so parking may be limited. There are several parking lots along Lower Water st. fairly close to the pier (about 5 minute walk). The closer to the pier the less expensive. I don't recall for sure but I think there is some on street parking near the pier. I walk done there almost every day and I will check on Tuesday when I get back to work.

They do dock at Pier 21. It can hold two ships but if there are more sometimes the extra ship will dock near the container pier.

Thank you for your help. I will check back.

The ships usually dock at Pier 21. You can follow the boardwalk for about a mile and there is lots to see and do. You will walk right by the Maritime Museum. Keiths Brewery is located along Lower Water St. about a 10 minute walk from the pier. Lower Water St is first St up and is parallel to the boardwalk.

I can't answer about the bus other than I have seen it around.

Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for this information. So I can walk to the Maritime Museum and Keith's Brewery. Any other places that I can walk too? I ask because its $100 for my wife and I to take the bus which stops at the Maritime Museum, Keith's Brewery, Citadel, Victoria Public Gardens - (boring!), Historic Properties - ("The city's finely preserved old waterfront is home to chic shops and restaurants" - is this the boardwalk?) and Spring Garden Road Shopping District ("high-end boutiques, restaurants and shops" - I would love to skip these!). If most of the places we want to see are within walking distance, why take the bus? We can spend the $100 on something else.

Thanks!

Roland

Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for this information. So I can walk to the Maritime Museum and Keith's Brewery. Any other places that I can walk too? I ask because its $100 for my wife and I to take the bus which stops at the Maritime Museum, Keith's Brewery, Citadel, Victoria Public Gardens - (boring!), Historic Properties - ("The city's finely preserved old waterfront is home to chic shops and restaurants" - is this the boardwalk?) and Spring Garden Road Shopping District ("high-end boutiques, restaurants and shops" - I would love to skip these!). If most of the places we want to see are within walking distance, why take the bus? We can spend the $100 on something else.

Thanks!

Roland

The museum, brewery and historic are all basically along the waterfront with the Historic Properties being the farthest from the ship. I can walk from the ship to there in about 15 minutes but I am walking fairly quickly as I walk there every day and am not doing any "sightseeing" :D . There is lots to see and do along the waterfront and it's a nice walk.

Spring Garden Road would be about 15 minutes also although some of it is an uphill walk. Most people don't mind it if you are in reasonable shape. To get there you can go to the brewery and essentially walk up the hill behind it. The public gardens is right at the end of the shopping area on Spring Garden Rd. It's a nice park area within the city.

If these are the places that you are considering and don't mind walking and don't need a guided tour I'd save some money and walk.

As an option, there is a free bus service that does a 40 minute "loop" of these general areas. It can get busy but it is an option. Here is a link: http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.36

Enjoy your visit!

Thank you for your help. I will check back.

I walked down to Pier 21 today and there was plenty of parking right in front of the main building entrance. You have to go to the far end of the building and on the right side as you are facing the entrance there was parking plus some additional parking across the street. The building is very long so make sure that you go to the end. There were two ships in today and they were docked end to end parallel to the dock and so they were probably almost 2000 feet long and the main buidling stretched the whole length.

Hope this helps.

I walked down to Pier 21 today and there was plenty of parking right in front of the main building entrance. You have to go to the far end of the building and on the right side as you are facing the entrance there was parking plus some additional parking across the street. The building is very long so make sure that you go to the end. There were two ships in today and they were docked end to end parallel to the dock and so they were probably almost 2000 feet long and the main buidling stretched the whole length.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Rick, you are great to answer all of our questions!

Is it possible/feasible for me to get from the cruise ship to Hopewell Rocks? Any tour to get me there and back? The photography from the area is amazing and I'd love to see it if possible.

We'll be the 9/24 with Princess.

Pam

Is it possible/feasible for me to get from the cruise ship to Hopewell Rocks? Any tour to get me there and back? The photography from the area is amazing and I'd love to see it if possible.

Pam

Are you thinking of the Hopewell Rocks from Halifax? If so you would not have enough time. It would take about four hours to drive one way.

Pam

As Sapper1 mentioned, I think that it would would be several hours away as Hopewell Rocks are in New Brunswick and would actually be closer to where she lives in Saint John.

We will be back in Halifax for the 2nd time this Summer in a couple of weeks. Our first time we took the hop on hop off bus and then a tour to Peggy's Cove. We will be renting a car this time. Where are some good places nearby to drive and see?

Actually, I wondered about visiting Hopewell Rocks from Saint John. I think it might still be too far away ... but the photography from there is amazing!

I believe some of the ships offer tours to Hopewell Rocks from Saint John----a long day. If you can grab one of those, do so because it would be dicey on your own. It doesn't look far on a map and really isn't but so much of the way is on twisty, turny, hilly, low speed, two-lane roads that it takes some time. I would say about three hours from the time you pick up your car. That would leave you precious little turnaround time. Add to that the time involved in renting and returning the car, and the fact that Saint John is not the easiest city to drive in for the uninitiated and it is a recipe for missing the ship.

Let the cruiseline worry about getting you back and relax and enjoy your day. You are right about the wonderful photographic opportunities but you might want to check the tide tables for your visit. If it is high tide when you are there a lot of the effect is lost. You can't go down the steps to the beach and walk around then.

If a 3rd ship is in port and docks at the container pier how far from the the other ships and the boardwalk area will they be?

If a 3rd ship is in port and docks at the container pier how far from the the other ships and the boardwalk area will they be?

It is hard to say because I can't walk near there but it doesn't seem much farther; perhaps about a 5 minute walk. They are all in the same general area.

Archived