underage teens drink alcohol

stitch78

We witnessed several teeangers drinking shots and alcoholic beverages during our cruise. At dinner with their parents at another dinner table (they did not care about them drinking). Although the drinking age is supposedly 21 the lady did not card them at all. They were sitting a tthe table next to us and we were watching the whole time. And yes they were clearly teenagers - you can especially tell based on how guys in the bunch look or the fact they yell out "class of 2006". I though one of the guys could have been as young as 15! They were drinking up a storm on the ports, but I think the age is 18 at the ports.

I guess some parents really don't care that their kids drink but I know most parents wouldn't tolerate it.

Unfortunately, if the parents order alcoholic beverages, and in turn give them to their teens, Carnival has no control over that.

However, if the teens go to the bar and order for themselves, their cards are encoded as to age, and they will NOT be served.

As for drinking on the islands, seems to me there is no age limit.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, if the parents order alcoholic beverages, and in turn give them to their teens, Carnival has no control over that.

However, if the teens go to the bar and order for themselves, their cards are encoded as to age, and they will NOT be served.

As for drinking on the islands, seems to me there is no age limit.:rolleyes:

We watched - the teens ordered it, not the parents. The teens were at a dinner table to the left of us and the parents were to the right. We were in the middle. I guess due to dining room set up they couldn't sit them next to each other .

RCI allows beer and wine at 18 with parental consent, Carnival doesn't. I think Celebrity allows it also. I never witnessed anyone being served under 21. The Sign and Sail cards are encoded. But, nothing stops someone legal from buying alcohol and giving it to a minor. I was born during the days when 18 was legal for anything which I think is reasonable. I guess I just set myself up.

The parents probably told the waiter to get their teens whatever they wanted. They were under their supervision. My parents bought me alcohol when I was growing up- much safer for everyone to be hanging at the house then out driving a car getting it on our own. When I was growing up, the age was 18 though, too. I have no problem with teens drinking if their parents feel they are responsible enough to handle it and it's a safe atmosphere. I have questioned many adults though, including myself at times :) :)

In my experience Carnival does a very solid job controlling alcohol and minors. Those under 21 cannot purchase drinks with their cards etc. If parents want to buy drinks for their children at dinner it would be legal in the state of Texas and many other states. In international waters I know of no drinking age at all yet Carnival enforces 21 quite well.

Stitch, perhaps Carnival isn't for you, maybe you should consider some other vacation.

We watched - the teens ordered it, not the parents. The teens were at a dinner table to the left of us and the parents were to the right. We were in the middle. I guess due to dining room set up they couldn't sit them next to each other .

As Cotton stated, each passenger's card is linked to their DOB so the kids, in theory, could not have been ordering dining room drinks on their S&S cards. The parents must have somehow been paying on their card, even though they were at a different table.

I have cruise on Carnival many times with my teenagers and my then eighteen year old son tried to buy drinks and each time they refused him. If the parents are sitting there allowing their teenagers to drink, then why blame Carnival for this:rolleyes: ? Why not blame the parents:eek: ?

On our last Splendour of the Seas Cruise RCCL we had two teens in our group that their parents signed a consent form. That allowed them to buy and drink beer during the cruise. They never abused the situations.

Thus far Stitch hasn't alledged any abuse either. Stitch seems upset that Carnival wait staff condoned parents allowing their children to drink during dinner with them at an adjacent table. I guess I'm at a loss as to what the problem is?

In my experience Carnival does a very solid job controlling alcohol and minors. Those under 21 cannot purchase drinks with their cards etc. If parents want to buy drinks for their children at dinner it would be legal in the state of Texas and many other states. In international waters I know of no drinking age at all yet Carnival enforces 21 quite well.

Stitch, perhaps Carnival isn't for you, maybe you should consider some other vacation.

Although I applaud Carnival's efforts to curb underage drinking, and agree with you for the most part, I don't think that last remark to Stitch was called for.

BTW, being in international waters has absolutely nothing to do with drinking ages. Each cruiseline sets it's own regulations.;)

Although I applaud Carnival's efforts to curb underage drinking, and agree with you for the most part, I don't think that last remark to Stitch was called for.

BTW, being in international waters has absolutely nothing to do with drinking ages. Each cruiseline sets it's own regulations.;)

Cotton you are making my point. Carnival or any cruiseline for that matter has no legal obligation to enforce a drinking age at sea. They can set their own policy. Carnival has a good policy in my opinion, I just don't see the problem here.

As to Stitch, the comment you find objectionable has more to do with Stitch's general tenor since joining in. Stitch seems obsessive-compulsive to me. Stitch can find a nice safe vacation at home. Just my 2 cents. :)

Stitch is the one, a few days back, that started that thread about how cruise critic members were to blame that she spent money/time from following their "bad" advice against getting a 9:30am flight on day of debarkation. She spewed venom and I think that yst was just trying to be diplomatic, perhaps? That thread was pulled and here again, inflammatory remarks without a review or any examples of a piss poor vacation. So, I guess that ignore button has a use afterall. You are now wasting our valuable time. :rolleyes:

cotton, they were wondering, during that thread, when you and a few others were going to show up :D

it got pulled, but got like almost a 100 responses in a VERY short time, hehe

her post ended with her giving out advice to get early flights (we are talking like before 10am) - it was strange, to say least :eek:

Actually, I was just horrified to learn that a family that is very close to my sister recently returned from a CC cruise with their teenaged children with a bar tab that was over $1000 more than the parents expected it to be. These parents did not condone drinking and did not order alcoholic drinks for their children. When they questioned the bill, they were told that it appeared accurate. Finally, after their father embarrassingly tried to fight a legitimate bill, 2 of the kids admitted that they had indeed been drinking at the bars on their own. Apparently they were not asked for ID and the charges were put on their S & S cards. These boys are 16 and 17 years of age. Now, I argued with my sister about the fact that they were even in the bars at all (teenaged discipline is something we don't see eye to eye on), but they were served without any questions without any parental consent.

The parents are making the kids pay them back with their allowance and part time job income, but this obviously shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Actually, I was just horrified to learn that a family that is very close to my sister recently returned from a CC cruise with their teenaged children with a bar tab that was over $1000 more than the parents expected it to be. These parents did not condone drinking and did not order alcoholic drinks for their children. When they questioned the bill, they were told that it appeared accurate. Finally, after their father embarrassingly tried to fight a legitimate bill, 2 of the kids admitted that they had indeed been drinking at the bars on their own. Apparently they were not asked for ID and the charges were put on their S & S cards. These boys are 16 and 17 years of age. Now, I argued with my sister about the fact that they were even in the bars at all (teenaged discipline is something we don't see eye to eye on), but they were served without any questions without any parental consent.

The parents are making the kids pay them back with their allowance and part time job income, but this obviously shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I find this as stated very hard to believe. All passengers produce ID to board. Birthdates are attached to S&S cards at issue so the need to ask for ID when ordering drinks is moot. An S&S card assigned to someone under 21 is locked out of the system. No drinks can be billed to the card.

Perhaps the kids lifted a parents card?

I think sometimes the cruiseline turns a blind eye. When sailing with my daughter on Celebrity (she was 16) the somelier (sp?) suggested I let her try a small cordial..."After all", she said, "she is with her mother and on vacation" :cool: Of course she did not. She was just trying to sell her afterdinner drinks. Gosh, they must get a commision for what they sell.

Sailing the Carribean Princess last year, we did see a young teen served at the pool bar.

I know in St.Thomas the age for drinking is 18.

We witnessed several teeangers drinking shots and alcoholic beverages during our cruise. At dinner with their parents at another dinner table (they did not care about them drinking). Although the drinking age is supposedly 21 the lady did not card them at all. They were sitting a tthe table next to us and we were watching the whole time. And yes they were clearly teenagers - you can especially tell based on how guys in the bunch look or the fact they yell out "class of 2006". I though one of the guys could have been as young as 15! They were drinking up a storm on the ports, but I think the age is 18 at the ports.

I guess some parents really don't care that their kids drink but I know most parents wouldn't tolerate it.

Mrs. Kavitz.....you have a phone call!:p

In France the teens drink at 14-16 years old. It's not a big deal because they don't get drunk like in the states. If a parent wants their child to drink so what. MYOB:eek:

Archived