cable cars to beach in Taormina

Hi, We will be in Taormina for about 4 hours in August and I'm tinking a ride down to the beach in a cable car might be fun. Has anyone ever done that? Do we have enough time to take a dip and still see all the sights? Would there even be a place to change once we get to the ocean? Thanks.

Hi! We did this but we were there off-season (early December). The cable car ride was a few minutes, but at that time of the year there was no line. I expect you may find a different scenario in August.

Typically, Italian beaches have "clubs": you pay a per diem, and have the ability to use their facilities, such as changing rooms, showers, lounge chairs, etc. I've no details on those in Taormina, but I assume they exist.

Just know that the beach is a small, cove-like area with small pebbles instead of sand (we found some fabulous beach glass!) If you've got a Caribbean beach with white sand and palm trees in mind, you'll be disappointed. This isn't to say it isn't picturesque - in my view it is, very much so.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...hopefully someone who's been there during high season will have some more specific info for you.

Enjoy Taormina, it's charming!

Funivia runs every 15 minutes. Cost is 3.5 Euro. There is a changing facility and bathroom at the station where you exit for the beach. I have details posted on this board titled "Liberty Med ship and port review 5/31". Sorry, since I'm typing in this message, I can't get back to cut/paste.

Archived