Cruising with a one year old

mateusz

We are first time cruisers on Legend and were wondering

1) Are high chairs available in the dining rooms?

2) If so, are they in good shape, or will we be scrubbing them before seating jr.?

3) Any other advice regarding cruising with a one year old would be greatly appreciated.

Since your thread is on page 4 with no replies - I'll try to help.:) I've not noticed a lot of highchairs, but I did see one at the table next to mine on one cruise. It looked fine, sparkly clean, and I'm sure they keep them up as well as anything else on the ships.

Anything else I know about bringing a 1-yr. old, I've read on these boards. Mainly, that the little one won't be able to go to Camp Carnival, and also cannot go into the pools, as swim diapers are not allowed. Hopefully someone else can provide more info for you.

Here is the family board- I got a lot of information from this board when we were trying to decide to bring my 9 month old grandbaby. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

You will get a pack and play in your cabin for your baby to sleep- bring your own sheets.

Unless you got a suite there will only be a shower so maybe a blow up kinda pool/tub will be needed for a bath,

Bring everything your baby will need- diapers formula etc as these may not be available on the ship and if so it will be expensive. High chiars are not disgusting and shoul be one at your table when you arrive-if not request one from the waiter.

Like COtton stated-- they cant use the camps but you could pay 6.00 per hour after 10pm. and use them on a port day for the same fee but they need to be picked up by noon.

Camp is opened for kids under two from noon til 2 on all days but you have to stay with them.. they can play on the equipment..and use the toys.

Carnival does have laundry rooms so thats a good thing.

We have cruised with our daughter since she was 10 months old. A few things I would say to bring are, some of his/her favorite toys and a blanket he is used to from home. If your baby is still on formula be sure to pack some of the prepackaged tubes of powdered formula, you can just pour it into a bottle with room temp (bottled) water and use when hungry. Also bring some snacks to munch on in the dining room. My daughter loved cheerios and gerber wagon wheels. Make sure to get early seating for dinner, and try to keep your baby on his regular schedule if possible, incl. naps. It will make for a happier baby an happier parents. ( and fellow cruisers as well). High chairs are available, and the staff will most likey love your baby, as many miss there own kids at home.

Oh yeah, make sure to bring a small, unobtrusive stroller for squeezing through tight spaces.(be sure is folds up small to fit neatly in the cabin) Things tend to be compact on a cruise ship.

They also make everything disposable now. Bring changing pads (for excursions) and disposable bibs. Bring extra of everything you might need, like pacifiers as you won't find them on the ship. Bring a bucket and some water toys. Your child may not be allowed in the pool, even with swim diapers, but there is a sprinkler/shower by the kiddie pool, so he/she can cool off.

Hope you have a great time.

Dayna

We are first time cruisers on Legend and were wondering

1) Are high chairs available in the dining rooms?

2) If so, are they in good shape, or will we be scrubbing them before seating jr.?

3) Any other advice regarding cruising with a one year old would be greatly appreciated.

We traveled last week with our 21 month old. High chairs are available. Be sure to pack your sippy cups, etc., hard to find cups with lids. Juice is available all the time, harder during the day to find milk and there is no whole milk. I often would take a couple of containers to my room on ice. The baby pool was often not accesible so I was happy that I had packed my trusty "blow up" pool (really a portable tub) but put water in it from the pools and she loved it!

Be sure to have lots of wipes for hands, etc., they tend to be on the floor more than you would like and well...the floors (especially carpeted areas) are a little "tired" sooo much traffic as you can imagine.

If your on a balcony...it is glass below which I loved because she could look out and I didn't have to worry.

It was hard to order anything other than the kids menu at dinner, like something different....so be prepared for that. I have snacks availabe for them they do not cater to this age, except she did love the ice cream machine!

Have fun!!!!

Juice is available all the time, harder during the day to find milk and there is no whole milk. Have fun!!!!

Milk or juice can be had from room service 24 hours a day.

I just got off the Valor today and while sitting at the pool on a sea day, a Mom was changing her daughter's diaper (looked like a 12-18 month old) while this child was having a melt down that everyone on our side of the pool heard. After she struggled with her and finally changed the diaper, she left the dirty diaper under the lounge chair and got up and walked away. I was stunned and turned to the lady next to me and said "tell me I just didn't see what I think I saw". She was also stunned. Who did this lady think was going to clean up behind her and her daughter. If she didn't want her child's dirty diaper, what made her think the rest of us wanted it.

This was my 16th cruise and I have seen a lot of things from both children and adults that have made me shake my head and wonder, but this was a first.

My advice to OP, change your child's diaper in your cabin, not on a lounge chair on deck. Not only is it gross, I think it's rude.

I was also surprised by how many non-potty trained babies were in the pool. I have read on these boards that they weren't allowed in the pool. They were there last week in full force. I would say I saw at least 10-14 little ones being bounced in their parents arms in the pool.

I was also surprised by how many non-potty trained babies were in the pool. I have read on these boards that they weren't allowed in the pool. They were there last week in full force. I would say I saw at least 10-14 little ones being bounced in their parents arms in the pool.

If you ever see that, alert security. It is against the CDC guidelines and it is a health hazard... Security will remove them.

Archived