question - while flying

LookingForward2

When I fly, I often get earaches, resulting in my hearing decreased for often a day or so after landing.

Does anyone have any advice to help this to not occur? I try to chew gum, swallow, etc.

I've heard to ask the flight attendant for two cups with warm towels in them for each ear. Has anyone heard of this or actually done it? :confused:

My doctor had me buy ear plugs that are made specifically for airplanes. They really work! You can buy them in most drug stores and they aren't very expensive. I try and keep an extra pair just in case I lose one. They also sell them in most airport gift shops (for a lot more!). It's my understanding that a number of airline employees wear them all the time.

When I fly, I often get earaches, resulting in my hearing decreased for often a day or so after landing.

Does anyone have any advice to help this to not occur? I try to chew gum, swallow, etc.

I've heard to ask the flight attendant for two cups with warm towels in them for each ear. Has anyone heard of this or actually done it? :confused:

The ear plugs are called Ear Planes. Here is a link to the company website. http://www.cirrushealthcare.com/

As posted earlier, they are available almost anyplace.

Aircraft are pressurized to 8000 feet. When you take off, the air pressure in the aircraft will be gradually decreased to that which you would experience 8000 feet above sea level. If your Eustachian tubes are plugged up, the air pressure in your inner ear remains as it was at take-off; the result is a continual outward pressure on your ear drum, which as you know can be extremely painful.

The solution is to equalize the pressure on both sides of the eardrum. Chewing gum, popping your ears, swallowing, etc. opens up the Eustachian tube, allowing air to exit/enter the inner ear as you ascend/descend. If you're congested, something like Sudafed or a nose spray will help to reduce the swelling so the end of the tube can open a little.

BTW, that's one reason babies will often start screaming just after takeoff or soon before landing. Best thing for that is to have them suckling at that time.

- Richard

Archived