Mykonos how accessible

larderlake1

We are on the BOS for a Med in Oct and I will be in my shiny new traveling scooter I want to do Mykonos just walking and rolling and wonder if it is possible to get around the town without encountering too many stairs etc

How about the tendering Is it usually rough there

Any help will be appreciated Jo:cool:

jo, we too are on the brilliance on this cruise and, like you, continuing from barcelona to miami. leo is an above the knee amputee and we travel with a scooter, but always, always also take his folding wheelchair. at some ports it is not possible to get the scooter off, either because of tendering or the gangway is too steep or is a series of steps. also, when you can get it off the ship, you may not find the shore side accessible. with the exception of some major cities, europe does not have the accessibility that we here and in canada are used to. I see you mention your travel scooter is shiny new, so I am assuming you also have a regular fold up; how did you make out on your recent caribbean cruise? did you have both?

we have done european cruises back to back with TA each of the last several years, so we do speak from experience. without the foldup there were ports where leo would have had to stay onboard. also, with a foldup, even the small european taxis can get it in the trunk, and the ship's tour bus will take a foldup, but notscooters usually.

as for your question about mykonos, it will be our first time also. the ship does dock, and there are some fairly level streets around the harbor, but from the pictures I have seen, beyond that there are a lot of uphill cobblestone streets. as for cored curbs, the pictures I was able to pull up showed none. hugh:)

I was on the Grand last week in Mykonos. This was a tender port for our ship and I had decided to stay on the ship, however my husband went ashore but only stayed on the street facing the water and did not venture up the hill.

I saw a lady in the elevator the next day that had fallen on her face on the cobble stones. She had stitches in her forehead, two black eyes and a broken nose. I also saw several people with newly broken arms and ankles who had fallen on the ship.

Mykonos and Santorini are both beautiful island with wonderful old villages. But that's the problem - they are old, cobbled, winding 'up and down' streets. Both islands are volcanic and naturally hilly.

We docked at Mykonos and had to tender at Santorini. Getting up the village in Santorini was okay because of the cable car, and we got a taxi from the quayside on Mykonos. But my sister (who is a below the knee amputee) found both islands difficult because of a lot of steps, the cobbles and the sloping streets.

Archived