Eye Primer

High C's

Can anyone recommend a good eye lid primer that would work on very oily eyelids?

I used to use one by Mary Kay years ago, but unfortunately it has been discontinued. I recently bought the shadow primer by Chanel, and while it works very well at providing a good base for your eye shadow, it does not have the staying power I need and my eyes are creasing by the end of the day.

Any suggestions?

I have been using Guerlain's Protective Base for Eyelids. My eyeshadow stays in place and so does my eyeliner. I can say that prior to using this product I had problems with creasing and eyeliner disappearing!

It is pricy, but does the job for me. I use a tiny amount and warm it a bit on my fingertips so it goes on more smoothly.

--Judy

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P116814&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=1132

Okay ya all . . . I need help! I haven't worn eyeshadow for years. As a former flight attendant, I used to an expert at make-up but over the years . . . all I wear now is foundation, eyeliner (with brown eyeshadow to mute the line), mascara, blush and lipstick. What is primer and does it really keep the eyeshadow from making your eyes look old, creased and tired? I'm fifty-nine and everytime I've tried to use shadow . . . it makes my eyes look so wrinkled . . . without shadow . . . no wrinkles.

Okay ya all . . . I need help! I haven't worn eyeshadow for years. As a former flight attendant, I used to an expert at make-up but over the years . . . all I wear now is foundation, eyeliner (with brown eyeshadow to mute the line), mascara, blush and lipstick. What is primer and does it really keep the eyeshadow from making your eyes look old, creased and tired? I'm fifty-nine and everytime I've tried to use shadow . . . it makes my eyes look so wrinkled . . . without shadow . . . no wrinkles.

Hey Lady C!

Yes, primer can keep the eyeshadow from creasing/fading and extend the wear keeping it fresh looking longer (Geesh...I sound like a commercial for Covergirl!).

I do not use one, but I use an all over primer under my foundation and that does the trick for me.

Maybe you could get some samples and try it out to see if you can tell the difference! :)

~e

Bare Escentuals Bisque is the only way to go!!!!!! Be sure to use the brush made to go with it.

I agree - I love BE Bisque. BUT it still creases for me because of my oily lids. I need a base to put on underneath!!!!

For me, hands down, the BEST eyelid primer I've ever used (and I've tried a lot in my days) is Benefit FY...EYE primer. I have super duper oily eyelids. Usually, my eye shadow runs off or fades in less than 30 minutes. But with this stuff it stays on ALL DAY with no creasing to boot. And for extra measure, after I'm done applying eyeshadow I dust some BE Mineral Veil over my lids and everything stays put for sure and no oily eyelids.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1279&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5333

BTW, if y'all ever want to check out makeup product reviews check out this website (it's like a cruise critic for makeup :D)

http://www.makeupalley.com

Hey Lady C!

Yes, primer can keep the eyeshadow from creasing/fading and extend the wear keeping it fresh looking longer (Geesh...I sound like a commercial for Covergirl!).

I do not use one, but I use an all over primer under my foundation and that does the trick for me.

Maybe you could get some samples and try it out to see if you can tell the difference! :)

~e

Thanks! You know what I think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna make an appointment with a make-up professional . . . think the last time I did that was before my second wedding (:eek: ) in 1984! I wear Estee Lauder foundation and blush, Lancome liner and lipstick, Cover Girl brown eyeshadow to mute the eyeliner line, Channel mascara and eyebrow powder. Think it's time for a make over! I mean I still use May Kay makeup remover and under the make up lotion (which I've used for over twenty years and don't plan to change . . . at nearly sixty . . . no wrinkles and my skin still looks like it did twenty years ago). But . . . really think I need to up date my make up. I've never even heard about eyeshadow primer . . . does that give you a clue about how out dated my make up is? :p

Thanks! You know what I think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna make an appointment with a make-up professional . . . think the last time I did that was before my second wedding (:eek: ) in 1984! I wear Estee Lauder foundation and blush, Lancome liner and lipstick, Cover Girl brown eyeshadow to mute the eyeliner line, Channel mascara and eyebrow powder. Think it's time for a make over! I mean I still use May Kay makeup remover and under the make up lotion (which I've used for over twenty years and don't plan to change . . . at nearly sixty . . . no wrinkles and my skin still looks like it did twenty years ago). But . . . really think I need to up date my make up. I've never even heard about eyeshadow primer . . . does that give you a clue about how out dated my make up is? :p

If nothing else you may find some new make-up colors you like to change how you feel about your "uniforms" or unforms as the case may be :p

~e

If nothing else you may find some new make-up colors you like to change how you feel about your "uniforms" or unforms as the case may be :p

~e

Bless you my friend . . . you are too funny!!!! Knew I liked you when you responded to my "uniform" (or . . . should I say "unforms") post . . . now I know why! You, my dear, are what make the Cruise Critics boards so special . . . :p

For me, hands down, the BEST eyelid primer I've ever used (and I've tried a lot in my days) is Benefit FY...EYE primer. I have super duper oily eyelids. Usually, my eye shadow runs off or fades in less than 30 minutes. But with this stuff it stays on ALL DAY with no creasing to boot. And for extra measure, after I'm done applying eyeshadow I dust some BE Mineral Veil over my lids and everything stays put for sure and no oily eyelids.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1279&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5333

BTW, if y'all ever want to check out makeup product reviews check out this website (it's like a cruise critic for makeup :D)

http://www.makeupalley.com

Thank you so much. This is the type of product I need. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Thanks as well for the info re Mary Kay, Laetitia. The product I used to use was the "Triple Action Eye Enhancer". I found a sales person last year who still had some, but it was either stale, or the formula had changed, because it just didn't do for me what it used to. This new product may just do the trick!

If you have a Sephora near you, I'd suggest going there. Call ahead and see if they'll have a good make-up artist in on the day you'd like to visit.

What I appreciate about that store is that they're not locked into one product line. They'll use what they think is best for your skin and coloring. You could end up with shadow, base, blush, lipstick from 4 different companies.

When you go to a make-up counter, they're going to insist, for example, that their colors are the absolute best for you......whether they are or not.

Jane

If you have a Sephora near you, I'd suggest going there. Call ahead and see if they'll have a good make-up artist in on the day you'd like to visit.

What I appreciate about that store is that they're not locked into one product line. They'll use what they think is best for your skin and coloring. You could end up with shadow, base, blush, lipstick from 4 different companies.

When you go to a make-up counter, they're going to insist, for example, that their colors are the absolute best for you......whether they are or not.

Jane

Thanks Jane . . . I'll check to see if there is a Sephora near here (exactly what is a Sephora). I made an appointment today at the Red Door (where I get my hair cut) for next Saturday. But now that I think about it . . . you're probably right, they will probably try to get me to buy Elizabeth Arden products which I've never used before. I like the idea of buying whatever product line best suits my skin for whatever area (foundation and blush, eyes, lips . . . etc.).

Bless you my friend . . . you are too funny!!!! Knew I liked you when you responded to my "uniform" (or . . . should I say "unforms") post . . . now I know why! You, my dear, are what make the Cruise Critics boards so special . . . :p

You are so very kind! Thank you for such a nice compliment!

If I ever make it to your area of the world we'll have to meet up and shop for some "unforms" for me and some make-up for you!

I will second what Jane said. When trying out new looks and products, Sephora is the way to go with no pressure and some honest product info.

Here's a link to their "locations" page:

http://www.sephora.com/help/stores/index.jhtml;jsessionid=IKSOHL4ZDTOOFLAUCLBBXCQ

In Virginia they have locations at the Fair Oaks mall, Pentagon City and Tyson's Corner.

Bummer there are none in Leesberg.

Have fun and let us know what you find!

~e

Archived