Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

The only crimp in the so-called ointment is that when we arrived at the restaurant it was fully-booked and the hostess didn’t know anything about the bar seating (it’s apparently such a new concept the staffers don’t know about it!). This has happened a few times on this trip – the pillow menu comes easily to mind, as does the outdoor dining at Sabatini’s – where stuff isn’t yet in place that’s been promoted beforehand. It’s part of the shake-down and understandable on a new ship but can also be disappointing if you’re anticipating it.

Carolyn

Carolyn - thanks for the post - I am just a little confused - did you just walk up to the Crown Grill or did you have reservations? I assume you just walked up and got open seats at the bar - also, I assume you paid the same cover charge as everyone else - (I think it is $25 pp if my memory serves)

Thank you!

Lots of questions on formal nights. Ours were on the first sea day and, tonight, the second to last night of the cruise. Tonight’s is the more special (lobster’s on the menu as is Beef Wellington). The first formal night the highlights were Cornish hen and beef tenderloin.

Conversely, formal nights are probably the easier nights to get into Sabatini’s or Crown Grill.

Couple of questions about complimentary wine in dining rooms. Nope. I’m surprised that people expect that – never heard of that on Princess, not to mention any other big ship line. Am I missing something?

Question about full-sized vs. small packets. In our minisuite we have mini bottles of the Lotus Spa’s lovely eucalayptus scented soap, shampoo, and lotion, and also the hateful paper packets of the same stuff. Can’t tell you about what’s offered in suites (will try to get a look on debarkation day but can’t promise).

Carolyn

Big issue! Actually most balconies do have full or partial roofs (the higher up you go the smaller the cabin and the more private the balcony). I think the best deal, if you want spacious surroundings and a covered balcony, are the handful of minisuites on Emerald Deck (most minis are on Dolphin deck, though). I imagine they’re hard to come by, though.

On Caribe deck they’re partially covered, Baja, Aloha and Riviera fully covered….

Carolyn

Marlinmike, I don’t think there was anything suspicious beyond the fact that 3,100-plus people have to get through it. Someone asked how I avoided waiting in line – well the ship nicely tells you (on the loudspeaker) that if you’re not in a hurry and don’t want to wait to busy yourself on board and they’ll let you know when the lines quiet down. I appreciated that, and took full advantage.

But – if you have a shore excursion that leaves immediately, you don’t have that luxury and just have to buck up. Bring a book J)

I’ll ask about folks with disabilities. Knowing Princess, though, I’d be shocked if Princess didn’t make special exceptions for them. Anyone know offhand?

How many times you go through customs depends on your itinerary. We’ll go through twice, San Juan and New York….

Oh, re ID. You’re told to take a photo id (I used my license and it worked fun) with you when you get off the ship (though San Juan was the only one who really looked at it). If you only have a passport, make a copy through the purser’s office – I wouldn’t take the passport with you, too much of a chance of losing it.

Carolyn

Hi, Host Andy! I agree with you about $15 for the whole day but I have to think a whole day is a long time up there…and then what happens is people take over the chairs for the entire time and there’s no way for others to come and go. I’d suggest reducing the fee somewhat but like the half-day option.

I can’t wait to see what new ideas they have for Emerald Princess…even if nothing’s different I’ll be excited to sail on it!

No sightings of Gavin, alas.

Carolyn

Lots of questions on this one…it’s beyond the confines of the Sanctuary but serves, effectively, as the most convenient pool for those in the Sanctuary.

It’s a lovely, small, adults-only pool. There are also two whirlpools. There are nine teak loungers with puffy cushions lined around it. They were always occupied! Every time I checked! There’s also a stadium seating kind of bleacher set-up but it’s hot and not terribly comfortable. Better as a place to drop your towel….

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn.:)

Are there a total of 9 chairs at the Lotus or just nine of the loungers? Is this one of two adult pools and does the other have more seating?

And the Sanctuary: are they still charging? Does is seem to be working well? I think the fee is reasonble for what sounds like a lovely venue. I was surprised to read that even with a treatment your hour of relaxtion there is space available. It seems quite different from the initial concept but I imagine this space in particular will go through several concept changes before settling in.

I like the idea of bar seating for an impromptu dinner at Crown Grill.

Have you had a look at most of the cabin categories? I read another post that said the balconies on Caribe deck, often described as the largest of the bunch, are no longer significantly larger. Can you comment?

TIA

Lots of questions about noise issues that I can’t really answer cause I’m not able to hide out in various cabins and listen, LOL. We’re fairly close to an elevator bank and haven’t heard a thing. I did hear a kid running down the corridor last night…random incident that didn’t prevent me from falling fast asleep.

It'd be great to hear from folks who've already sailed....

Carolyn

I think you should either get there before the beginning of boarding or wait til about 3 p.m. We got there at 1:30 p.m. and it took well over an hour, though the process was efficient.

We’ve signed up “walk off” debarkation – we got a flyer about that in our cabin mid-week and returned it. I love this option!

I was so impressed with the Red Hook terminal. Better than both Cape Liberty (which requires you to take a shuttle to the ship once you check in) and New York (which is a nightmare, traffic wise and taxi wise). Once we found the terminal it was smooth (though there’s no sign on the highway to tell you to get off at Hamilton Avenue but that’s where you get off. You can drive up to the terminal and drop off luggage and/or passengers and then proceed to the parking lot. It seemed like parking was pretty plentiful at 1:30 p.m. – the charge according to the parking area was $19 a day but I can let you know the definitive when we get back.

You don’t pay in advance. Anybody know if you can pay by credit card?

Carolyn

The Café Caribe is really fabulous – last night there was goat stew of all things, love the ode-to-the-islands. Every night is a theme…and it’s definitely a twist on the buffet concept. The room is lovely too, with white linen tablecloths and beverage service.

Carolyn

Chris, it’s got plenty of machines and definitely all the usual classes, including spinning (yet another thing I swear I’ll try and don’t get to). The locker room, at least for the ladies, is just that – nothing fancy and in fact nothing terribly appealing about it. The funky I smell I alluded to (well, I didn’t allude, I just said it LOL) is still there and I’ve identified it by now. All mothers (and probably fathers, too) with infants will recognize it: it’s as if a baby’s extremely dirty diaper has been left in the heated sauna.

It’s obviously not that, a drainage problem, most likely, but it’s disgusting.

Carolyn

By the glass options in most of the lounges are pretty mass market (Mondavi, Beringer and the like). You have to go to Vines or the specialty restaurants for the good stuff by the glass (and yes, the wine lists are excellent there too for full bottles).

One tip – and thanks to Dargus at Vines for the suggestion – if you know you’ll be visiting Vines regularly and have a favorite wine-by-the-glass you can buy a bottle and keep it there (like in restaurants). That way you get five glasses for the price of four. Also it’s nice to have “a bottle” waiting at your favorite joint, LOL.

Carolyn

I’m going to answer a hodgepodge of questions here….

Colo Cruiser asked about assistant maitre ‘d Robert Balla – he’s not onboard. Sorry! And in a segue – Freddie, the port shopping hostess, is onboard.

Back to restaurants. Lots of questions about most congested times to dine in personal choice. I talked to the headwater in DaVinci and he says it changes every cruise. On this cruise it seems that 8 – 8:15 p.m. get busy. A lot of it depends on how many passengers come when the dining room opens (which means the tables can turn again at 7:30 p.m.). If a lot of folks show up at 6:30 p.m. tables won’t turn before 8:30 p.m. But it’s hard to predict. I’ve not seen too many lines and have walked in at 9:30 p.m. without a wait (I know, big surprise!)

Traditional dining has been full for first and second seating so far on Crown Princess.

If you don’t like your initial assignment, seek out the maitre ‘d after embarkation; he’s sitting at the Michelangelo dining room. You’ll have your original assignment the first night; if it’s possible to change it you’ll get a letter in your cabin the second day.

Carolyn

Love the enthusiasm for great dining on this thread – since that’s my favorite thing, too! MadelineRose, we tried Marmalade on Fortaleza – loved it, very South Beach (Miami). We’re launching the updated port profile today on San Juan – I’ve put some other suggestions in there, too! So check it out later….

Carolyn

We did have a Cruise Critic “get together” but I can’t call it a meet and mingle cause that’s only to be used in conjunction with Royal Caribbean! Phyllis arranged it, went to quite a bit of trouble, and we met on the second sea day in Skywalkers. I have to say Princess is a bit desultory about these – Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are notoriously committed to making them "events" in their own right. And I’ve been on Holland America where open the bar, provide lovely hors d’oeuvres and the captain and cruise director showed up (twice on one two week cruise – Statendam in Australia/New Zealand in January).

Admittedly I had to leave early – and it was great putting faces to handles, LOL – but there were some cocktail nuts and a bar – people paid their own tabs.

Carolyn

Pes949 raises a good question about arranging limo pickup. I would think if you scheduled for 11 a.m. and had the option to call earlier…that’s the safest bet. But – if you do self-debarkation, I’d say 10 a.m. would be feasible. No guarantees, though.

Carolyn

Hello...

Still charging for the Sanctuary. Still $15. I think it's working well...

Just nine lounge chairs at Lotus, no other chairs.

Cabins are full so no, no reviews on them. We're going to try to get in there on debarkation day, though, so check back Monday....

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn.:)

Are there a total of 9 chairs at the Lotus or just nine of the loungers? Is this one of two adult pools and does the other have more seating?

And the Sanctuary: are they still charging? Does is seem to be working well? I think the fee is reasonble for what sounds like a lovely venue. I was surprised to read that even with a treatment your hour of relaxtion there is space available. It seems quite different from the initial concept but I imagine this space in particular will go through several concept changes before settling in.

I like the idea of bar seating for an impromptu dinner at Crown Grill.

Have you had a look at most of the cabin categories? I read another post that said the balconies on Caribe deck, often described as the largest of the bunch, are no longer significantly larger. Can you comment?

TIA

To Lois Swanson - hi! I have been researching this issue, as evidenced from my prior many posts on the subject, lol, as I also am wary of a mini-suite with no roof. However, as best as I can determine utilizing Princess' own web site, there are no mini-suites on Emerald Deck. There is an AD designation for two rooms, next to the Vista suites, aft, but they are described as balcony rooms. Perhaps they are very large balcony rooms. I am flummoxed over this and am giving up - they have a deck, Dolphin, devoted to mini-suites, and perhaps because they are a bit larger, they are on one of the widest decks. But they are uncovered.

My husband thinks I am crazy to go to such a fuss over this and it is funny, because originally he wanted a balcony to save the money, while I wanted a mini-suite. Perhaps to be contrary, or perhaps because he is a sun worshipper, he is now committed to a mini. The room looks lovely, I do like having a bath tub, so I am going to get myself a big hat and plenty of sun tan lotion and book a mini. Not sure yet which week we will go for, though, but most likely in the fall.

I will come back once we booked and continue to drool over the reports here on this wonderful-sounding ship! Thank you Carolyn for spurring me on to trying something new. I thought I would be sailing NCL for the rest of my cruising life - I hope you continue to have a wonderful time - Elaine

The deck plan for the Crown's Emerald deck is incorrect. There are mini- suites on that deck. They're in the back of the ship. The deck plan shows them as balcony cabins. I'm booked in cabin AD/E724. When I first saw the deck plan...I called Princess to make sure the cabin was a mini.

Okay.......I became concern...again....called Princess to again verify my cabin is a mini...IT IS!!!:D :D

We did have a Cruise Critic “get together” but I can’t call it a meet and mingle cause that’s only to be used in conjunction with Royal Caribbean! Phyllis arranged it, went to quite a bit of trouble, and we met on the second sea day in Skywalkers. I have to say Princess is a bit desultory about these – Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are notoriously committed to making them "events" in their own right. And I’ve been on Holland America where open the bar, provide lovely hors d’oeuvres and the captain and cruise director showed up (twice on one two week cruise – Statendam in Australia/New Zealand in January).

Admittedly I had to leave early – and it was great putting faces to handles, LOL – but there were some cocktail nuts and a bar – people paid their own tabs.

Carolyn

I've been in touch with Jan James the Onboard Service Coordinator to see what she could do for us. Is Phyllis on the ship or else where?

Archived