Seattle to Vancouver - does any have website for amtrack train?

cruisingw/mom

Airfar is cheaper flying into Seattle and currently researching transporation ideas from Seattle to Vancouver. I think there is a train but do not know much about it. Does anyone have a website or can tell me more about this like the times, cost and how long of a train ride.

Thanks

Also any thoughts on different transporation also?

This is what I have discovered for my September trip -- mostly from advice found here on the Alaska boards.

Check out http://www.amtrakcascades.com. There is only 1 train per day, the rest of the schedule runs via bus. The train leaves from downtown Seattle at 7:40 and arrives in Vancouver around 11:30. You can choose between coach ($26) and business class service ($39). Based on advice here on CC, we have booked business class since it is roomier assigned seating.

Other options include: cruiseline-provided bus tranfers, QuickCoach, and renting your own car.

Also, don't book your schedule too tightly. Will you arrive in Seattle the day before?

I live in the Seattle area and take that train about twice a year.

It is a very pretty ride northbound (southbound a lot of it is in the dark), hugging Puget Sound much more than the I-5. You can expect to see eagles and there is possiblity you might even see orcas out there if you are lucky. Try to get seats on the left side. The conductor assigns seats as you board in Seattle.

Train 510 leaves at 7:45 am, and is scheduled to arrive in Vancouver at 11:40 am, and I, too, recommend business class. Also, in Business class you will get a $4 voucher good in the diner or the bistro car, so you get some of your money back. It usually runs pretty close to on time, but the last time I rode it, it got held up, and was about an hour late.

The fare varies, as Amtrak uses yield management, just like the airlines. Business class is a flat $12 surcharge on top of the coach fare. The $26 one-way fare is about as low as it gets. It could well be higher. If you are a AAA member, you can get 10% off of the basic coach fare. The discount will not apply to the Business Class surcharge, though.

It fills up, too. I have a reservation to return from Vancouver after my own Alaska cruise on August 19, and coach was completely booked up as of last month for that day, with only business class available. You can book it directly at www.amtrak.com You can have your tickets mailed, or you can pick them up at any staffed Amtrak station. You can also pick them up that morning at Seattle, but if you do that, plan to get there early, no later than 6:45 am. There can be quite a line.

The airport and the train station (King Street Station at 4th and Jackson) are not close to each other. But in order to get that to the train that early, you would need to stay overnight in Seattle. In that case, I would recommend a downtown hotel, not one near the airport. I think Grey Line runs a scheduled bus from the airport to all downtown hotels, and there is Shuttle Express or a cab. Or you could take Metro line 194 from the airport to downtown for about $2.00.

The train arrives at Pacific Central Station (the VIA Rail Canada station) on Main Street in Vancouver. This is on the eastern edge of downtown It is right across a little park from the Skytrain station. The Skytrain goes to the Waterfront Station (about a 5 minute ride), which is literally right next door to the Canada Place pier. If you are going to Ballantyne Pier, you should take a cab. BTW, if you walk under the Skytrain station to the far (western) end you will find a "Van City" ATM which does not charge an ATM fee.

You go through Canadian customs and immigration in the Vancouver station. If the train arrives on time, you can be pretty sure to be done and out by about 12:15. Earlier, if you are in Business class. Business class gets to go through first.

Be sure to have your documents, a passport or a certified copy of you birth certificate. They won't even let you board the train in Seattle without that anymore.

A good alternative is the "Quick Coach" service, which provides scheduled bus service directly from SeaTac airport or downtown Seattle to downtown Vancouver. Even directly to the cruise line piers. That would be the best option for a same day connection. Their website is www.quickcoach.com. I would not recommend taking the other Amtrak "Thruway" buses, as they just are not as convienent for cruise ship connections as Quick Coach. The train is worth it, though, as the scenery is better and the train is more comfortable than the bus.

I mostly drive one way, but took Amtrak this year. I stayed at a cheap airport hotel and took a cab to the Seattle station. $30 + tip. I had the regular class, and was near the begining of the seating line, got fantastic water view seats and didn't care if I didn't have business class. I paid $23 with AAA discount

This train "always" sells out, as stated by the conductor.

In Vancouver, go out the front of the building turn left for a block, CROSS the street to the Sky train elevator, tickets are on the 2nd level, trains on the 3rd. You do NEED quality rolling bags and pack light. This isn't an option for more than one medium bag and a carry on shoulder bag.

At the Waterfront station- it's a 2 block walk, again a long way- if you are bogged down with over packing.

Fare is $2.25 in canadian funds only. There is a money exchange right at the train station.

As already mentioned- there is only ONE train. There is a post here with a skewed itinerary, thought they were on the train the whole way??, not sure what they are thinking, going in opposite directions etc. So, plan carefully. And factor in timing, needing an extra day in Seattle.

We've already received our tickets in the mail for Amtrak, what time should we plan on arriving at the station and do you have to ask for a seat on the left side? My husband is really looking forward to the Amtrak ride so we would be very disappointed if we didn't get a left side seat.

Also is the expensive food in the dining car worth it or is the food from the snack car decent enough? We are traveling business class.

We've already received our tickets in the mail for Amtrak, what time should we plan on arriving at the station and do you have to ask for a seat on the left side? My husband is really looking forward to the Amtrak ride so we would be very disappointed if we didn't get a left side seat.

Also is the expensive food in the dining car worth it or is the food from the snack car decent enough? We are traveling business class.

If you get there by 7:00, you should be more than fine. Just be ready to join the check in line as soon as it forms. Note if you are checking baggage, there is a separate line for baggage check at the ticket counter, while the check in for the train is done by the conductor at the train gates. Ask him for a left side, or ocean side seat.

The only meal served in the diner on the way up to Vancouver is breakfast. You are only on the train for 4 hours. If memory serves, it is around $12. Maybe $14 for the omelette. If you bought business class, you can use the $4 per person voucher. The food is pretty good, considering they don't cook it onboard and it is heated up in a convection oven. But is nice to sit at the table and have a relaxed meal as the countryside rolls by.

I was there before 7am. The baggage check in is your first left as you enter the station. You just go in and drop off your bag, you will be given a claim check. There is a booth set up near the exit doors to the platform, Coach and Business, signs over each top. Just get in line, and yes, you have to ask for the water side.

As already mentioned- there is only ONE train. There is a post here with a skewed itinerary, thought they were on the train the whole way??, not sure what they are thinking, going in opposite directions etc. So, plan carefully. And factor in timing, needing an extra day in Seattle.

In looking over the posts, the train schedules and itineraries are a basically right, with varying degrees of detail. What was skewed?

In looking over the posts, the train schedules and itineraries are a basically right, with varying degrees of detail. What was skewed?

There was someone in another thread you was getting on a different station and it seemed that they might be going to Vancouver, WA instead of Canada. I think that's what BQ is referring too.

Archived