Silly one...but...whats an ABC store?

SherriM

Poking around this section as we will be going to Hawaii in Feb on the HA cruiseline. And I have seen several references to ABC stores. What are these? I have seen the Wal-Mart, Longs, Hilo Hatties references...and these I know...but not ABC. Is it a chain? Duty Free? Or ???

Thanks

Sherri

It's a chain. Combo 7-11 and "beach survival gear" store and souvenier shop. They have a website - google on it. They're in holes-in-the-wall and very fancy locales too (like Whaler's Village). The quality of their souveniers is IMO very good - not like a Lahaina foo-foo art gallerie, but certainly OK.

Get your beach towels, beach mats (foldable are cool), munchies, ice cream, SPF 30 lotion, and a nice Hawaii calendar all in one place. And usually a smile from the folks working there.

I love 'em for one reason in particular. After you pay and leave the store, you're in Hawaii.

When we visited Hawaii in early June this year we loved the ABC stores! For gifts we purchased a few boxes of Macadamia nut chocolate clusters made by a Hawaiian candy company in lovely decorated, flat (easy to pack) boxes. Wow! Those chocolates made a huge hit when we got home! Wish I had purchased many more! My parents offered me a cluster and it was absolutely DELICIOUS! I am sure no one suspected that we only paid 1.99 for such a delectable box of macadania nut chocolates! Wish I could remember the chocolate manufacturer - but is was definitely a local Hawaiian company. We bought the boxes in Maui.

I also purchased great t-shirts, Hawaiian mugs, a Hawaiian leaf picture frame, and a photo album with all the Hawaiian islands on the cover as well as several other souvenir items. What a great store! We went into one on every island we visited. They all had similar merchandise but the variety fluctuated a bit from store to store. Here in Florida ABC is a liquor store chain. They used to have cocktail lounges on the premises 20-30 years ago, but I don't see them here anymore. I noted that the ABC stores in Hawaii also sold some liquor, but it seemed almost a sideline to their souvenir business. Forgot to check whether they sell the ABC branded liquors they sell here in Florida (well discounted from the main-label brands). ABC stores are a great place to shop for "goodies" when in Hawaii!

Most definitely - great place to get souvenirs! I visited my first one in Las Vegas, and then visited many more on our cruise to Hawaii! Love Love Love - great prices, fun items, and pleasing to the budget! Enjoy!

I think I read that ABC refers to All Blocks Covered... but not sure if that is REALLY what the name means.

They're in holes-in-the-wall and very fancy locales too (like Whaler's Village). I love 'em for one reason in particular. After you pay and leave the store, you're in Hawaii.

Ha ha, that's funny.

ABC Stores in Waikiki are EVERYWHERE! There are jokes here about how many you find in a single block (I think once I counted about 20). If you need a quick place to grab something, any ABC Store will have it. Unfortunately, because of the location (Waikiki) they are going to be overpriced.

• 1 month later...
http://www.abcstores.com/

My kids love to browse the ABC Store. And I buy sandals just about there every time I go to Hawaii. :)

Very fun that my ABC catalog arrived in the mail today! WHAT BARGAINS! This is like a little appetizer ... the big meal ...CRUISE... isn't until Feb 07 but this has whet my appetite for sure!

Thanks again for all the posts about my silly question!

Sherri

• 2 weeks later...
I'd guess there were 50 ABC stores on the main drag in Waikiki alone. I absolutely love ABC stores. And in Hawaii, not all that hard to find.

You know the books "Where's Waldo?" Well, here we play "Where's the ABC Store?" or another version "Which Block in Waikiki Has the most ABC Stores?"

You wont find anyone who actually LIVES here shopping there...

Archived