New York luggage storage question

louiesowner

We are getting off on a Celebrity cruise in Bayonne, NJ. From some recommendations on here, we are taking transportation from Penn Station to lower Manhatten. Then we want to wander around for about 4 hours before our plan taking a shuttle to JFK. Here is the question. We are going to have luggage and would love to store it somewhere while we go to Wall street, visit the Trade Center memorial and whatever else. Does anyone know of a place that we could store our luggage safely? Do any of the bus terminals have storage lockers? Or are there places we can just rent for the day (like a hotel room)? Any suggestions would be great.

Can't wait to see this wonderful city.

Stefani

There are no public lockers anymore.

A day room might be a possibility.

If you keep the same taxi perhaps you can store everything in the trunk.

It really is an untenable situation.

Good luck.

We are getting off on a Celebrity cruise in Bayonne, NJ. From some recommendations on here, we are taking transportation from Penn Station to lower Manhatten. Then we want to wander around for about 4 hours before our plan taking a shuttle to JFK. Here is the question. We are going to have luggage and would love to store it somewhere while we go to Wall street, visit the Trade Center memorial and whatever else. Does anyone know of a place that we could store our luggage safely? Do any of the bus terminals have storage lockers? Or are there places we can just rent for the day (like a hotel room)? Any suggestions would be great.

Can't wait to see this wonderful city.

Stefani

What time do you get off the ship and what time does your plane leave?

Four hours is not near enough time to visit Manhattan then catch a flight out of JFK.

We are getting off on a Celebrity cruise in Bayonne, NJ. From some recommendations on here, we are taking transportation from Penn Station to lower Manhatten. Stefani

How are you getting from Bayonne to Penn Station? And how are you getting from Penn Station to WTC? That would help plan an attack.

We get off the ship at around 9ish or so. Then we will take a taxi to Penn Station. I can't remember what the train is to WTC, but I found a website that show it will take you right there. Our plan doesn't leave until 7, which means we need to be there at 5. so even if we can be in the WTC area for a few hours, that would be great. Just don't feel like carting around a bunch of luggage. I guess I could see if Super Shuttle will hold it for us if we use them to shuttle us from WTC to JFK. We have lots of time for planning, so I am just going through my options. Right now I have a car reserved at EWR to drop off at JFK. But I hear that driving in New York may not be the most bright thing to do LOL

If you rent a car, you can leave your stuff in the trunk. There's a public parking lot on the east side of the West Side Highway on "North End Avenue" which is across from the WTC site. I don't know the current parking cost - it'll probably be at least $30-$40. You can also find on-street parking, but it won't be easy and you'll spend a lot of time navigating traffic. I usually limit myself to 5 minutes driving up and down side streets to see if it's my lucky day - then hit a parking lot or garage.

From there you can walk to the WTC site, there's a large shopping mall one block south in the World Financial Center with many restaurants.

You would be a block from the Hudson River, and you can walk all the way down to Battery park (about a mile). It's pretty interesting to visit there too.

Renting a car and driving won't be too bad. I drive in the city all the time and I'm neither homicidal or suicidal. For you, the key thing to remember is to get out of the city before Rush Hour (which begins around 3:30 PM).

From New Jersey, you would come through the Holland tunnel, get onto the West side Highway (9A) Southbound (downtown) and go straight to the Financial Center. It's less then a mile.

When you leave to go to the airport you take the West Side Highway South where you can catch the Brooklyn Bridge to the BQE, to the Grand Central Expressway and you'll be at the airport in an hour (35 minutes by google maps, but I wouldn't count on it). If you're wisely listening to 880AM or 1010AM on your radio, you will hear the traffic reports. Get a decent map so you can figure out some alternative routes to JFK - just in case.

Two caveats:

Some NY drivers can be somewhat aggressive and impatient. But there are plenty of calm, kind drivers as well. Unless you want to play with the nuts, stay to the right and let them pass.

Traffic is very unpredictable. Someone can get a flat and back up the highway for miles in no time at all. Unless you have backup flight plans in case you miss your flight, I would leave myself at least an extra hour to get to the airport. A 45 minute drive at 3PM could easily be a 2 hour drive at 4:30.

Enjoy your trip.

Renting a car to drive around Manhattan is a bad idea. Parking will cost you on top of an already expensive rental car.

Instead, walk into a hotel downtown and check your luggage with the bell stand. Hotels will do this for you for a small fee and you will not have to schlep your luggage around.

Thanks for all your advise. Actually the rental car is pretty cheap but then I am a Travel agent and I got a discount. I will phone a few hotels and ask them about checking in luggage and put all my options together and see what I do. Keep the advise coming... this is great.

Louieowner --

When we tell you parking is expensive -- understand you are going to pay up to $50.00 to park your car. No I didn't misplace the decimal point. :o

Its still probably cheaper than a day room & in theory your luggage will be safe.

Renting a car to drive around Manhattan is a bad idea. Parking will cost you on top of an already expensive rental car.

Instead, walk into a hotel downtown and check your luggage with the bell stand. Hotels will do this for you for a small fee and you will not have to schlep your luggage around.

Ditto, that was going to be my advise also. Do not drive stick with a taxi from Penn to WTC

If Two caveats:

Some NY drivers can be somewhat aggressive and impatient. But there are plenty of calm, kind drivers as well. Unless you want to play with the nuts, stay to the right and let them pass.

Traffic is very unpredictable. Someone can get a flat and back up the highway for miles in no time at all. Unless you have backup flight plans in case you miss your flight, I would leave myself at least an extra hour to get to the airport. A 45 minute drive at 3PM could easily be a 2 hour drive at 4:30.

Enjoy your trip.

LOL that's because most of the drivers are from NJ...you need to be assertive but not crazy....

LOL that's because most of the drivers are from NJ...you need to be assertive but not crazy....

Hey I resemble that remark! :eek:

Besides it's not us -- it's the cabbies & the NYers who only drive once in a while.

Is it safe to leave your luggage in the car in NY? I am still leaning to renting a vehicle and driving it and stopping at WTC for a few hours on my way. The SUV only costs $72 so that is pretty good. But my biggest fear is driving. I am a good driver and very cautious, but some people say don't drive in NY. HELP!!! LOL

You will be parking in lots not on the street. Most lots in Manhattan charge extra for SUV's. It may cost you $30.00 or more to park in that area even for a couple of hours. Most of the time while in a lot its ok to leave your luggage but you know no one can tell you for sure no matter where you are. (there is a lot as you exit the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel)...metered spaces down there are as scarce as hen's teeth and likely to be occupied by a car service or a government employee.

Archived