What's not to be missed on the QE2?

pnhmrk

I gave up doing the Heritage Tours quite a few years ago, once I'd been on three or four. Do you think I'd benefit from doing another one? (And who's Thomas?)

If you don't know who Thomas is, then you need to take his tour, at least assuming he is aboard when you are.

Even if you don't learn anything new, it is an experience you will never forget!

If you don't know who Thomas is, then you need to take his tour, at least assuming he is aboard when you are.

Even if you don't learn anything new, it is an experience you will never forget!

Doug:

I couldn't agree with you more. Thomas is really something special to experience. Both his knowledge and his style are not to be missed.

The addition of all the "heritage" material is one of the things that has improved QE2 over the years; when I first sailed aboard her in 1981 there was none of this stuff, and then when I returned in 2003 it was a very pleasant surprise to see the posters, the art, the MODELS !!! The history of Cunard is so rich, and worthy of attention. Back in the 1970s and early 80s the "powers-that-be" seemed to almost want to hide the past history of the line.

Without question, take the tour with Thomas.

Tom

OK - I'm going to take the tour. One question though, how do I know if he's the guide?

:eek:

Thomas is one of the senior cruise staff. Very funny, and completely unique.

Better than the rest of them combined in my opinion!

If he is the person I think he is, then I agree wholeheartedly. Is his last name Quinones?

If he is the person I think he is, then I agree wholeheartedly. Is his last name Quinones?

As Kindlychap indicated, he is the gentleman in question - Thomas Quinones.

If my memory is correct, a couple of years back he led the Heritage Trail tour once a crossing, but during this past January's crossing it was offered at least twice, and possibly a third time.

I think it may be getting to be a more popular thing to do. Each time I have taken it, or passed by the group in mid-tour, there has been a substantial number of passengers with Thomas !

Tom

Each time I have taken it, or passed by the group in mid-tour, there has been a substantial number of passengers with Thomas !

This Thomas isn't white South African is he? In his mid 30's? If so I've met him, had a row with him and complained about his attitude at the pursers office! If that is him then I wouldn't take the tour - he was one of the most unpleasant men I've met. I only ask because this South African was taking one of the tours that passed me in the Chart Room last Christmas!

This Thomas isn't white South African is he? In his mid 30's? If so I've met him, had a row with him and complained about his attitude at the pursers office! If that is him then I wouldn't take the tour - he was one of the most unpleasant men I've met. I only ask because this South African was taking one of the tours that passed me in the Chart Room last Christmas!

Thomaas is pictured on page 78 of the UK brochure, third from the left. The only crew member wearing a traditional tie.

Thomaas is pictured on page 78 of the UK brochure, third from the left. The only crew member wearing a traditional tie.

You mean the man with grey hair, glasses, a slightly "fixed" smile? That's not the person I had problems with.

Thomas is such a professional, even if there was a "problem", he'd make his point AND fix the problem. Capt. Rynd refers to him as "our Cunard Historian".

Not to be missed: A stroll around Boat Deck about 7-8pm, before going in to dress for dinner. It's usually quiet on the Boat Deck at that time as most people are having cocktails or are already at dinner. It's like having a grand private yacht to yourself. Lovely!

Thomas is such a professional, even if there was a "problem", he'd make his point AND fix the problem. Capt. Rynd refers to him as "our Cunard Historian".

Not to be missed: A stroll around Boat Deck about 7-8pm, before going in to dress for dinner. It's usually quiet on the Boat Deck at that time as most people are having cocktails or are already at dinner. It's like having a grand private yacht to yourself. Lovely!

You have dinner at midnight? That's when I'd be ready if I went in to dress at 8!

Karie,

Who needs more beauty rest.... and more time to slather on the spackling compound! <LOL>

• 2 weeks later...

For those wondering, Thomas Quinones is half German half Puerto Rican which accounts for his odd yet refined accent. The last time I was on (Jan 3 06 xing) he said he was thinking of getting off after more than 15 yrs with the ship.

- Ron

[QUOTE]The last time I was on (Jan 3 06 xing) he said he was thinking of getting off after more than 15 yrs with the ship.
[/QUOTE]
That would be a shame. I don't think anyone can match his enthusiasm. Any time a large group of people could be seen standing on a stairwell or in a public room engrossed in what the speaker was proclaiming, then one could be certain it was Thomas giving the tour.

BTW Ron, it's good to see you posting here. Are you planning to be on either of the 2007 crossings?

Archived