Just back from Serenade 6/18/06

grannynanny

We leave on the Serenade on July 9th so am anxiously awaiting your review. What kind of weather did you have and did you pack the right clothing? Did you go on any excursions and, if so, would you recommend them? And I could go on and on so will wait for your review.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Sally

Do you remember how long it took to sail under Lion's Gate bridge after leaving Vancouver? I'm worried we will miss it with early dinner seating or that we will have to skip dinner in the dining room which I don't really want to do on the very first night.

We leave on the Serenade on July 9th so am anxiously awaiting your review. What kind of weather did you have and did you pack the right clothing? Did you go on any excursions and, if so, would you recommend them? And I could go on and on so will wait for your review.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Sally

Sally, The weather was basically in the lower 50's, some parts of the day were overcast, some light rain, very infrequent heavier rains, and the sun did shine at times. Our best day was Saturday, our Inside Passage back to Vancouver, the temp was 63-67 all day and the sun was out 95% of the day,

It clouded up some when we were at dinner (2nd seating), but did not rain.

As far a clothing is concerned, I followed the boards suggestions of layering, and although it was helpful, I really could have used my winter jacket. I had a Columbia water proof jacket which was great over layers of tee, sweatshirts, etc. but would have been happier with 1 heavy jacket instead of all the layers. I definately recommend some kind os warm up sweat jacket for the not so nasty days, and definately a lightweight windbreaker with a hood. If you want to be outdoors on the ship, it is COLD, especialaly at night.

We did 1 tour in Skagway, the 8 hourr Yukon Bus & Rain through RCC. We oriningally booed with Chilkoot tours, but was nervous about not getting off in time to dod it with them. Well, was I happy that I did book thru the ship,

we got into Skagway on tim3 (7:30), but was not able to disembard until 8:20, so we definately would have missed this wonderfull tour. Our tour guide was Josh, and he was fantastic!! He made many unscheduled shops, and when I asked him about Emerald Lake, he said it was not on our tour. However, after lunch in Carcross, he said since we had some time and I asked he would take us to Emerald Lake...WOW, is it ever beautiful.

Well, I better get back to unpacking and then back to sleep. Hopefully, will have my review up by later tonight or tomorrow night. Unfortunately, it's back to work tomororw.

Nancy6

Do you remember how long it took to sail under Lion's Gate bridge after leaving Vancouver? I'm worried we will miss it with early dinner seating or that we will have to skip dinner in the dining room which I don't really want to do on the very first night.

We left port at about 5:20..I will have to check my video, but I think we went under the bridge about 1/2 hour later. I do believe you will miss if if you are at early eating. It's an awsome signt, and we would have been very unhappy to have missed it. Howerer, you do get a second chance coming back to Vancouver, but that's at about 5:30 am on Saturday. We were up and took pics and videos from our balcony.

Review to come soon,

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks for posting so quickly after your return! We're sailing on the Serenade this August, and I can't wait to read your review. I'm a veteran Caribbean cruiser but an Alaska novice, so I have lots of questions!

Are you planning to scan in your cruise compasses? There's a lot of information on this board about the itinerary and ports (all very helpful), but I'd like to learn more about the shipboard experience, especially the kids' program and activities while at sea. We're taking my in-laws (first-time cruisers) so I'd like to be able to give them a preview of what to expect.

Thanks for your willingness to help!

Beth

Archived