Jacksonville suggestions...please!!!

mzloolue

We are cruising in August from Jacksonville.

I know nothing about the city or the port, but we would like to arrive at least a day early to look around and go to a nice quiet beach. We are a a family with young adult kids with a few of their young friends and old hobbly parents:eek: (DH and I)

I am really interested in hotels that provide cruise parking and perhaps a ride to the port, beach suggestions, and a few clues on good eating places.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to share their knowledge!

I'm not aware of any hotels that will let you park at the inn and shuttle you. JAXPORT is on the far northern side of the city and probably the nearest hotels are those by Jacksonville International Airport at I-95. Hopefully some Jacksonville area people will post an answer. There is a large Holiday Inn there; you might check with them.

The Jacksonville Beach area has a lot of hotels on the strand and it's not that rowdy of an area. If you like history consider St. Augustine Beach which is only an hour's drive south from the airport area. This is definitely a family beach type area as is Crescent Beach just to the south of that. St. Augustine has two national monuments worth visiting. From this area it would be easy late-morning drive back to the port for your cruise.

BobK/Orlando

We sailed out of Jacksonville a couple of years ago on a Celebrity cruise. While we didn't stay at a motel or hotel, we live in Orlando and drove up the day of the cruise, several people on the cruise stayed at motels near the airport that both provided parking for the 2 week cruise and provided a ride to the port and then picked the people up after the cruise. The problem is I don't remember what the name of the motel was. Try posting on the Celebrity board and asking for anyone who sailed on the Zenith out of Jacksonville in 2003 and maybe someone there will remember.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived