Need San Diego pre-cruise hotel

TedC

I did a search of "San Diegio hotels" and "no match" was found, which I find incredible.

So what's your favorite San Diego hotel for a one night pre-cruise stay? Shuttle from airport and to the pier would be nice.

Stay will be Nov. 24, 2006.

Thank you for your suggestions

Ted,

I am not sure how you did the search but I just did one and there are lots of threads. I searched on San Diego. Give it another try.

Hampton Inn is where we stayed 4 nights pre-cruise. They will pick you up from the airport and take you to the cruise terminal. The prices are reasonable and it includes breakfast.

Ask for a room street side, other posters have stated it is noisy on the train track side. Our room was on a front corner. We could see the ship ,also could see the train, but no problem with noise.

I did a search of "San Diegio hotels" and "no match" was found, which I find incredible.

So what's your favorite San Diego hotel for a one night pre-cruise stay? Shuttle from airport and to the pier would be nice.

Stay will be Nov. 24, 2006.

Thank you for your suggestions

We have cruised from San Diego many times and the Holiday Inn across the street from the cruise terminal has been proven to us to be the easiest and most convenient. On the property grounds is a Ruth Chris's and across the boulevard is the famous Anthony's Star of the Sea room. Anthony's is a truly remarkeable restaurant. Holiday Inn....This one at least is a winner.

I agree that the Holiday Inn is the best, you can walk across the street, but it fills up fast, we stayed there last year, but we just cruised out of San Diego in May and I tried for months to get it, but could not get it, We stayed at Days Inn about 4 blocks from the pier, they picked us up at the airport and took us to the pier, had a continental breakfast which was ok, it was about half the price of the Holiday Inn, would consider staying there again if it was just for the night.

There is also a Best Western (Bayview or Bayside) not far that is a fairly nice place to stay. Most of the chain hotels have shuttles to the airport and pier. The airport is close to the port. We have also stayed at the Bayview Super 8 which is about 8 blocks for the port in the Little Italy section. It is not fancy but clean and they do have shuttles to the airport and port.

There is also a Best Western (Bayview or Bayside) not far that is a fairly nice place to stay. Most of the chain hotels have shuttles to the airport and pier. The airport is close to the port. We have also stayed at the Bayview Super 8 which is about 8 blocks for the port in the Little Italy section. It is not fancy but clean and they do have shuttles to the airport and port.
FYI - I would call the Best Western Bayside before booking as there is currently a large construction project going on right next door (I mean within a few feet). Normally, this is an inexpensive place that I would recommend, but not during this apparent construction. (I work 2 blocks away so I do know firsthand.) I would recommend either the Holiday Inn or there is a nice Residence Inn on Pacific Highway, which is one block from the cruise terminal. Good luck & happy sailing from San Diego.

In May we stayed pre-cruise at the Holiday Inn on Bayside Drive. It's almost directly across from the ship terminal. They offer a shuttle to and from the airport. They also offer shuttle service to the pier, but we opted to walk since it was no more than about 300 yards from the front door of the hotel.

Post-cruise, we were booked at the Holiday Inn but they lost our reservation, so we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway - one block back from the Holiday Inn. The cost was slightly less (around $140 a night) AND included a very nice breakfast which the Holiday Inn did not. Overall, the Hampton Inn was a bit nicer than the Holiday Inn and if we went again we would stay at the Hampton Inn. Hope this is helpful.

The Holiday Inn-Bay is at 1355 North Harbor Dr. (619 232-3861) across the street from the pier--be careful, there are several HI with "bay" and "harbor" in the name. BTW, the Anthony's Star of the Sea Room (not "Grotto"--it's still open), closed last week, to be re-opened this fall as a "Tuscan" restaurant. They said they didn't have enough business for the "formal" dining that Star provided!

Some web-sites: http://www.signonsandiego.com , http://www.sandiego.com, http://www.mobissimo.com (a meta-search site for hotels, etc.)

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Archived