"The most lavish suites afloat" - really?

etoile

I noticed the Cunard website indicated that the Balmoral and Sandringham suites on QM2 were "the most lavish suites afloat." Prior to seeing this, I had assumed that the Garden Villas on the Norwegian Dawn were as good as it gets, at 5,750 sq. ft. including a private garden with a hot tub.

I have heard Cunard's reputation for excellent service, but what makes the Balmoral and Sandringham the "most lavish" - why are they so great? I assume Cunard is tooting their own horn by assigning "most lavish" to themselves, as it's certainly subjective, but...can anybody tell me what is so fantastic about these suites?

Regrettably I will not be choosing between the Garden Villas and the top Cunard suites unless I win the lottery, but I'm still curious about the difference between them! Thanks in advance.

I have heard Cunard's reputation for excellent service, but what makes the Balmoral and Sandringham the "most lavish" - why are they so great? I assume Cunard is tooting their own horn by assigning "most lavish" to themselves

The suites are lavish and well-appointed. Definitely more tasteful than "Garden Villas." Besides which, who ever heard of a Garden Villa on a liner anyway? Or a rock climbing wall? Or a surf rider? An ice-skating rink?

I have seen both of these suites on a tour before the maiden voyage and they are very lavish!!! A bit over the top re the number of marble bathrooms though - from memory inc. guest bathrooms there are 4 in total!!!! I particulary liked the jacuzzi bath with electric blind with a view that looked straight out to the Aft of the ship! Great views re sunset or sunrise!!!!

The lounge & dining area were also very spacious - apparently this is the grade of suite that Rod Stewart books when on board - & who can blame him! If you wanted you could stay in the suite for the duration of a crossing! Even if I was in such a suite - I usually travel Grill class but on QE2 - I would still want to wander out of my suite from time to time esp. to dine in the Queens Grill (a favourite of mine on QE2 & by all accounts the QG Rest on QE2 is still miles ahead in terms of both food & service than its QM2 equivalent!!).

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I noticed the Cunard website indicated that the Balmoral and Sandringham suites on QM2 were "the most lavish suites afloat." Prior to seeing this, I had assumed that the Garden Villas on the Norwegian Dawn were as good as it gets, at 5,750 sq. ft.

I assume Cunard is tooting their own horn by assigning "most lavish" to themselves, as it's certainly subjective, but...can anybody tell me what is so fantastic about these suites?

Hi

Words are wonderful things. Some can mean whatever we want them to mean. Most lavish suite afloat. The best suite in any ship. The most stunning suite around, the most beautiful suite... etc. All meaningless.

Lavish is a good choice of word. You seem to imply that the size of the suite and it's hot tubs make it "lavish". Maybe in your eyes it does. However, maybe in my eyes "lavish" might mean the use of rare woods for the furniture. Silk drapes and bedlinen. The very finest carpets. Original oil paintings on the walls. A bar stocked with the finest (!) wines. Rare orchids fresh each day in the suite. Fantastic service. Amazing food. That, to me, might be lavish. I'm not saying that the Balmoral or Sandringham suites are so equiped. Just giving another idea of "lavish".

Now if they say the largest suite, or the fastest liner, then that stops being subjective. But the "grandest" the most "lavish" well, who's to say?

When Queen Mary 2 entered service she was the "world's largest longest tallest widest grandest ocean liner ever". They could just get away with that now, maybe arguing that, whilst larger, the Freedom of the Seas is a cruise ship and the last thing she has is the freedom of the seas. Whereas, being a Liner, the QM2 has. However, to play safe, she is now the "world's grandest ocean liner". It means nothing. It's P.R. speak. There are more than a few here who would argue that QE2 is the world's grandest ocean liner. They are right. And so are those who say that the QM2 is. Like grandest, lavish means nothing.

What makes the duplex suites so "lavish"? Well I suppose I'll have to leave that to those who've stayed in one (they seem to be curiously absent on these boards). But I think that the view from those huge windows overlooking the stern as she does a world cruise, or as she visits places around the globe that Norwegian Dawn or Freedom of the Seas will never see because they are fully occupied doing the weekly bus route around the Caribbean (yawn). That sounds pretty lavish to me.

Pepper, you are absolutely right that these things are subjective. I certainly understand the difference being a matter of taste - a chintzy Garden Villa vs. a classy QM2 suite, perhaps. I do think size has something to do with it, because on a ship of any kind, living space is at a premium and those cabins with more living space are usually better appointed, designed, staffed, etc. than those with less. But you make an excellent point about what the differences are - this is the QM2, and this is the Dawn, so there is certainly a big difference in styles. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

I have had the chance to cruise the Dawn, and I have seen the Garden Villas. They are extremely beautiful and very tastefully done. Why is it necessary to put down the amenities on other ships in order to praise the QM2?

Regarding the rock climbing wall, or ice skating rink, there are people who enjoy things other than sitting on their backsides sipping tea and listening to a harpist.

Also, the ships offering the above amenities seem to have mastered boarding and disembarcation, something even QM2 passengers complain about.

Oh, the Rotterdam has VCRs in the staterooms, does the QM2? How about sit down vanities and dressers with ample drawer space?

The suites are lavish and well-appointed. Definitely more tasteful than "Garden Villas." Besides which, who ever heard of a Garden Villa on a liner anyway? Or a rock climbing wall? Or a surf rider? An ice-skating rink?

Pepper, you are absolutely right that these things are subjective. I certainly understand the difference being a matter of taste - a chintzy Garden Villa vs. a classy QM2 suite, perhaps. I do think size has something to do with it, because on a ship of any kind, living space is at a premium and those cabins with more living space are usually better appointed, designed, staffed, etc. than those with less. But you make an excellent point about what the differences are - this is the QM2, and this is the Dawn, so there is certainly a big difference in styles. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

Star, dear!

You just put me off my shrimp and ravioli!

Why, oh WHY did I click on that putrid orange and turquoise 60's era decor from the dawn? UGH!

Karie,

who has just found a new diet! Lost MY appetite fast! <G>

Etoile

" But you make an excellent point about what the differences are - this is the QM2, and this is the Dawn, so there is certainly a big difference in styles ".

And you make an even better point with pictures, one picture speaks a thousand words.

Karie,

"You just put me off my shrimp and ravioli!

Why, oh WHY did I click on that putrid orange and turquoise 60's era decor from the dawn? UGH!

Karie,

who has just found a new diet! Lost MY appetite fast!"

As always, your comments are spot on.

Pnhmrk,

":eek: Yeuch! That looks like something out of a 1960's Butlins camp (or so I'd imagine, never having been to Butlins):)"

Neither have I, but I was wondering what that picture reminded me of, you've got it!

Thanks to all of you, I waffled on, you three used less words but said more.

I noticed the Cunard website indicated that the Balmoral and Sandringham suites on QM2 were "the most lavish suites afloat." Prior to seeing this, I had assumed that the Garden Villas on the Norwegian Dawn were as good as it gets, at 5,750 sq. ft. including a private garden with a hot tub.

I have heard Cunard's reputation for excellent service, but what makes the Balmoral and Sandringham the "most lavish" - why are they so great? I assume Cunard is tooting their own horn by assigning "most lavish" to themselves, as it's certainly subjective, but...can anybody tell me what is so fantastic about these suites?

Regrettably I will not be choosing between the Garden Villas and the top Cunard suites unless I win the lottery, but I'm still curious about the difference between them! Thanks in advance.

I have just sat here for half an hour typing a considered response and when I tried to send it, it dumped me :-( so you're lucky now you will get the condensed version!!

We travelled to Buenos Aires and Rio for the carnival this year on the Celebrity Millenium, we had a royal suite which is the biggest suite I have experienced on a ship, very nice, lots of cherry veneer, marble, jacuuzi in the bathroom and on the balcony, dining room, two plasma screens and on and on ... unfotunately for me (and these things really are subjective) that was the end of the story, although we had a wonderful memorable holiday the ship was like staying in any four or five star hotel anywhere in the world, very nice but characterless, no feeling of heritage, no crowds to get a glimpse of a legendary ship (that goes without saying!), the food was bland: dinner is such an experience on the Cunard ships I have been on and I want to order everything on the menu, on Celebrity I struggled to choose something every night and it arrived matching the description but I can honestly not remember anything I ate over 16 days.

Above all, on these new ships you dont get a proper sailaway party, with a liners' tiered back decks it is a wonderful experience to ACTUALLY sail away from your destination, and it has a wonderful atmosphere every night, and crowds of people line the shore to watch the opposite view! On the new ships I have been on there tends to be a sailaway party on the first day around the pool in the midddle of the ship, you could be anywhere, they never amount to much and if one is held again during the cruise which in my experience they rarely are (especially on Millenium) few people bother to turn out. I worry that the Victoria will lack this special Cunard sensation as it lacks these terraced back decks (from what I can make of the deck plans anyway)

I would rather be in a normal stateroom on one of the queens than a suite on a characterless luxury cruise ship any day. That does not fully answer your question but I hope it helps.

I have just sat here for half an hour typing a considered response and when I tried to send it, it dumped me :-( so you're lucky now you will get the condensed version!

Nothing to do with the thread, but I'm so pleased to see that it does that to other people and it isn't just my computer - there's many a time I've written a long, considered, response only to get the "page cannot be displayed" message! If I'm writing a long post now I copy it to the clipboard before I press "Submit Reply".

Nothing to do with the thread, but I'm so pleased to see that it does that to other people and it isn't just my computer - there's many a time I've written a long, considered, response only to get the "page cannot be displayed" message! If I'm writing a long post now I copy it to the clipboard before I press "Submit Reply".

Pnhmrk

Many, many thanks for this great idea, why didn't I think of that! Duh. Several times it's happened to me as well. Whilst my comments aren't important, I do hope that others who, like you, write such informative, witty, entertaining and well written posts, read your comment and copy your great idea.

Very best wishes

Here are pictures of four suites on 3 ships:

QM2 Grand Duplex

http://www.cunard.com/QM2/photoGallery.asp?path=Balmoral%2DDuplex%2Ejpg&page=1

Dawn (a little older than QM2)

http://www.cruiseweb.com/NCLIMAGES/norwegiandawn-room-gardenvilla-1.jpg

Jewel (a little younger than QM2) - Orange Villa

http://164.109.173.139/web_photos/jewel/jwl_strm_gv_living.jpg

Jewel - Blue Villa

http://homepage.mac.com/mfedor/Oct_2005_Cruise/PhotoAlbum148.html

While they are VERY different, I like both.

The window wall in living room of NCL are great in my opinion (especially if you plan on entertaining many guests).

I'm a huge ''color'' fan (I make stained glass items, I paint, etc.). If you're not a fan of colors, then NCL decor is definitely not for you but personnally I like it.

I have a question regarding the Grand Duplex, is there only one bedroom? Garden Villas have 3 bedroom (master with full luxury bath) and 2 additional bedroom with bathroom with shower only. If one type of accomodation has 3 bedroom and the other has 3, it's definitely designed for an entire different experience (couple vs. friends or family reunion)

I'm a huge ''color'' fan (I make stained glass items, I paint, etc.). If you're not a fan of colors, then NCL decor is definitely not for you but personnally I like it.

I have a question regarding the Grand Duplex, is there only one bedroom? quote]

Yes, the dulpex suites have 1 bedroom. 3 bathrooms (2 upstairs, 1 down), dining area, sitting area, terrace. If you wanted to enjoy a family/friends get together then the 4 suites (with views across the bow) below the bridge,(Mary Anne Victoria and Elizabeth) would be a better bet, in several combinations, they interconnect and could give you up to 4 bedrooms, 2 balconies, 6 lounge areas, 4 dining areas and 8 bathrooms!

I agree with you about the colour scheme, I like the one on Jewel best, however, both that and the one on Dawn are let down by whatever that is hanging from the deckhead! My god, is that tacky bad taste or what! As I said, I like the carpet colours, maybe not first thing after a heavy night. But the suites on QM2 are better IMHO.

Yikes...where'd that carpet come from??? Afraid I couldn't handle that at almost any time of the day, let alone the morning!! Tehy're a bit too garish for my taste. My vote has to go to the classy and understated elegance of the QM2 suite...it doesn't "fight" with that fantastic view out the windows. Cheers, Penny

I agree that Cunard has a timeless decor approach and I love the QM2 decor very much.

I like NCL decor better than most other lines though (I like their newer ships better than most Carnival RCCL Celebrity and Hal ships... just personnal taste I guess and I think it has to do with the colorful carpets they have in the public rooms, they cheer me up).

Yikes...where'd that carpet come from??? Afraid I couldn't handle that at almost any time of the day, let alone the morning!! Tehy're a bit too garish for my taste. My vote has to go to the classy and understated elegance of the QM2 suite...it doesn't "fight" with that fantastic view out the windows. Cheers, Penny

I was thinking exactly the same thing - I would have to have my morning cup of coffee before I ever came out of the bedroom!! Ick.

9 more days until we sail from NYC!!!!

I think it has to do with the colorful carpets they have in the public rooms, they cheer me up.

The carpets are one of the things that will go out of date very quickly. Never mind they can be replaced easily:)

JP, thanks for finding those comparison pictures! I am really horrified by the carpeting on the Dawn; the orange villa on Jewel is a little better but the Dawn's is just...yikes! I agree with you - I like them both. The Cunard suite is much more elegant, but the blue Jewel villa is nice too.

Does anybody know how much the top Cunard suites usually cost? I tried looking on the website and some online TA's but I couldn't find any pricing for the top suites, only the general suites.

Does anybody know how much the top Cunard suites usually cost? .

Hi

Cost for what? Depending on the cruise or date of crossing, the price will vary, and of course the price varies depending on your home country.

As an example I've just looked at cunard.com and got $23,649 per person for grand duplex sept 24th TA west bound (brochure price is $36,389 pp). UK prices (cunard.co.uk) are £14,099 (brochure £25,629).

Hope this helps.

The Garden villas are usually in the 12 000$-15 000$ pp for the first 2 guests and about 750$-1000$ per additional guest for a 7-day cruise. (I even heard that you can get a villa half-price if it is not booked 6-months from sailing date but that rarely occurs).

Obviously, the Garden Villas are way more affordable than the Grand Duplex, especially if the Villa is shared between 3 couples.

If I had a choice to make (money not being a concern)? I would definitely go for for the Grand Duplex on QM2 (I hope one day I can cruise on QM2).

If I were offered a Garden Villa for free, I would jump on the occasion too, invite my parents and my brother to share the Villa and I would have a great time too, enjoying what it has to offer not comparing it to any other suites available on another vessel.

Have you seen the NCL Jewel deck where they have a ''private courtyard''? It is a deck with 2 villas (each can hold 6), 8 AB suites (2 bedroom suite, can accomodate 5) and 2 AC suites (hold 2). This deck has a small pool, minigym, longchairs, jacuzzi, private lounge, etc. If I wanted to get married on a ship and money wouldn't be a problem, I would book the whole deck and my family and my boyfriend family + some close friends would share it.

Sorry, I love the NCL family concepts very much.

Archived