Just back from Serenade 6/18/06

We arrived home this morning at about 2:30 am, so this will be brief, promise a full review in the next few days.

The ship is beautiful and the staff was great. The CD Matt is very friendly and was seen around the ship often, he has a really nice singing voice. The weather was ok, most of the days it was 51-54F, a little of sunshine and lots of overcast skies. Some rain in Skagway at about 4:30 (when we got back from the Yukon rail/bus tour, which was great with fantastic weather). Our best weather day was in Ketchikn, the sun was out all day, just a little drizzle at about 5:00.

The best day was Saturday during the inside passage back to Vancouver.

The temps stayed between 62-67 all day with sunshine, it was great.

Review to come soon. Feel free to ask any questions in the meantime.

Nancy

The following is a day by day review of ship's activities and ports.

Day 1-Casual dress...Show, Voyage to Advenutre (did not see)

Sunday

Day 2-Formal dress-Show, Stage to Screen, entertaining to watch

Mon. Wine tasting

Captain's Welcom Aboard Reception

Battle of the Sexes game show

Honeymoon & Anniversary Couples Get-Together

Battle of the Sexes Game Show

Day 3-Casual dress -show Jonathan Clark (do not miss him, he's fantastic)

Tue. (comedy and singer)

Salsa dance class

Who Wants to be a Milionare game show

Country dance party

First qualifications for Karoake Idol.

Latin Fiesta

This is the day for Hubbard Glacier...the best place for view as you are entering the bay is from the Heliport on Deck 6 (you get to it from forward deck 5). Be sure to dress warm, it was COLD!!! Once we were at the Glacier, we went to Seaview Cafe and brought lunch down to our balcony

(corner aft on deck 8). The entire day was amazing. We heard calving (sounds like very loud thunder), but only saw once, it's happens so fast.

Day 4-Casual dress-show, Magic & Illusions of LaRaf (did not see)

Wed. -Skagway

The Quest..DO NOT MISS!!! (Matt does an amazing job!?

Rockin Thru the Decades Dance Party follows

We did the Yukon Bus & Rail thru the ship (8 hours)...fantastic!!!

Day 5 - Formal Dress - Show -Vibe-Ology (probably the best show in all of our over 20 cruises, don't miss!!!)

Thu-Juneau- Ladies 80's night

Karoke Idol

We did an independent city tour and Mendenhall Glacier that we got in town.

Day 6- Casual/Western dress-Show,Variety Showtime (comedy and singing)

(did not see show)

Fri-Ketchikan

Swing Dance Class

Mystery Dinner Theatre

Name that Tune

Swing Dance Night

Late Night Comedy

Love & Marriage Game Show

Gala Buffet

We did the Downtown walking tour, picked up map at city hall on dock. It was a very nice day (be aware, there is a charge for the Totem Heritage Center and Hatchery & Eagle Center) Creek Street is great for shopping. We took the Funicular tram up to the lodge, had lunch there, awesome Seafood Chowder and king crab legs!!

Day Casual Dress - At Sea (Inside Passage)

Show-Farwell Showtime (good chance to see most of the weeks entertainment,good show)

Cooking Demonstration

Backstage Tour

Owner's Cup Moose Racing

Final Jackpot BIngo

Towl Folding Demonstration

Final Art Auction

Kid's Talent Show

Karoke Idol Championship.

The scenery is magnificent...try to be outdoors most of the day, At approx.

11:15 pm. you go through the narrow Seymour Passage, wonderfu sights and it's amazing how the show gets thru this pass. Try not to miss.

Sunday-the end...we passed under the Lions Head Bridge at approx. 6:00 am

We used the ships tansfers and were off and on the bus to the airport at about 8:45am...we had a 1:30 pm flight.

We have done many caribbean cruises, 2 Hawaii and a trans-canal cruise, have to say, Alaska is by for the best!!

Enjoy your time on Serenade, she is a fantastic ship with a great cruise director (Matt Sole) and wonderful staff.

Nancy

If you are a Diamond Crown & Anchor member, be sure to visit Miritza in the Conceriege Loungs on Deck 10..The Diamond C&A party was on Saturday in Portofino's at 11:00, they had an amazing buffet, drinks and Eggs Benefict if you want. They had a violin player and keyboard player. It was wonderful.

I will be on the Serenade for December 9 on the Southern Caribbean. I live in Puerto Rico and always wanted to cruise on this type of ship since the Radiance but always went on other cruise ships. Do you think they will have the same activities for the Caribbean? They sound great.

Thanks for your information.

Lilrod, we have been on many caribbean cruises, and there iis always something to do as far as the activities go. The only difference is that you will have horse racing, not moose racing.

cruisechick82 There was 1 scrapbooking class on Monday at 2:15. There were a quite few gowns, but what I remember most are lots of black dresses and dressy pants suits. There were many women who did not really dress in the formal attire. My hubby wore his tux, but I would say less than 25% of men were wearing tuxedos. I dnon't think it made a difference which of the 2 formal nights, the dress was much the same.

Have a wonderful time, the Serenade is a great shiip and Alaska is truly beaurtiful.

Nancy

Thanks for your information grannynanny. Every ship has something different. This will be my 23rd cruise but the first one on the Radiance Class. I hope they have good activities.

Archived