Gdansk Shore Tour?

Kane

We are normally hoofers, but indications are that the ship docks quite a distance from the city. Is this true?

To those who have been there: Is the "O" shore tour at Gdansk recommended?

We did the Baltic last August on Regatta.

In Gdansk, my bro-in-law & I opted for the "old city overview", which we enjoyed. It was short, informative, and easy walking through the old town square. I don't recall which tour my wife and sis-in-law took.

The town square was about a 20 minute bus ride from where we docked, which was an industrial area, with several shipyards, etc.

I would have liked more time there - I thought Gdansk interesting, and we barely scratched the surface.

We just got back from the Baltics on the Regatta. You have two choices in Gdansk. Either take a taxi or a ship's tour. We decided to take our only tour here as the ship was leaving at 2pm. I was worried about finding a taxi back on time. We went to the Struthoff concentration camp and Gdansk. The camp was interesting but it was all reconstructed. If I had known this I would have taken only a tour to Gdansk. It was a charming little town (90% reconstucted also) and we didn't get much time here on our tour. We did know couples who doubled up and took a taxi in and arranged for that same taxi to pick them up in a few hours. That worked well for them.

We interviewed taxi drivers waiting by the ship. When we found one who spoke excellent English, we and another couple hired him. He was originally from Gdansk, and he did a great job. He took us to the small town of Olivia, which has a large Catholic church with an amazing pipe organ. They give a free organ concert every morning, and it was truly wonderful. We then proceeded to Gdansk, where he took us to a restaurant that featured Polish Pirogi and beer (yumm!!). Then some shopping, the Solidarity monument, and back to the ship. Highly recommended!

Mike

We did the ship's tour of the city and found it was long enough. We had a nice guided tour around town and the cathedral and then were taken to an amber shop near the Great Crane. I believe we were told we had an hour or so to shop before the bus left. Obviously they hoped everyone would spend the hour in the amber shop. Some did but most of us used the time to wander around, take pictures and and even do a little amber shopping. (We found the recommended shop as reasonable as any.) Most people were at the rendez-vous point before the designated time which would indicate enough time was allotted. The old part of town is quite compact and it is mostly a pedestrian area so it is easy walking. The guided tour part was all walking for those who have to consider such things.

We felt the tour was worth it as we knew so little about the area and it's turblent history. Also Polish is a difficult language and we did not find as much english spoken as in western european ports. The amber shopkeepers were obviously an exception.

Archived