Parking in Waikiki?

lomillerin

We are staying at the HHV. We want to drive into the center of Waikiki in the evenings to eat/walk around.

How much and where is good, safe place park?

We are considering not renting a car a taking a taxi, but how much would a taxi be from HHV to center of Wiakiki for 4 people?

We are definitely renting a car at least one day, maybe 2, or the entire trip??

If you are staying at HHV then the center of Waikiki is just not that far. We walked all over and it did not take us very long at all. We had no car, but used the public bus (The Bus) for $2. per person which includes a free transfer. But mostly we just enjoyed the beautiful weather, especially in the evenings and walked. We rented a car for our post cruise stay and then drove our own circle tour of the rest of Oahu. We got the Oahu Revealed book and are so glad we got to enjoy the rest of the island beyond Honolulu and Waikiki. However, we DID enjoy our few days there as well! The roads in Waikiki are one-way in lots of places and seemed very confusing to me, so we were glad we didn't have to drive the city area much! Just taking the shuttle bus from the airport opened my eyes to the complexites of that situation!

I think the car and parking are more hassle than they're worth if you're already in Waikiki and just moving within it.

The bus is fine for waikiki. Or a taxi if you'd rather not. Then walk around a bunch with hat and good walking shoes.

So, how far is Hanauma Bay and Diamond Head from HHV?

Is it better to have car for those sites or taxi?

We would probably just choose a taxi for the 4 of us, not the bus.

Here is what we want to do:

Diamond Head

Hanaumu Bay

Pearl Harbor

Maybe's:

North Shore Beaches/Area (what is there if the waves are small in the summer, what else to see/do?)

Dole Plantation

Adventures Water Park

We are there from when we get off cruise ship around 9:00 am on Monday until 10:50 at night on Thursday.

That gives us almost 4 full days, but we definitely want some down time at the HHV/pool etc..., so we will not do everything in the maybe's list.

What days should we rent and what days should we taxi it?

Maybe, I should change hotels to Moana Surfrider. It will be about 90.00 more a night then the HHV and we are booked in the Ali'i tower.

I appreciate all of the help and information everyone gives.

Thanks.

The Bus will take you to the entrance of Diamond Head, which is what we did when we were there in early June. I believe the bus just keeps going up the coast, to the Aquarium, for sure, but maybe as far as the entrance to Haunama Bay. (you can check The Bus routes for Honolulu on line). It is really quite a walk into Haunama Bay from the main road, however, as I recall! We went there after our cruise when we rented a car for our circle tour of Oahu and it seemed like a good distance from where we paid the parking fee intil we found a spot to park and then walk to see the bay and the overlooks.

Archived