GMRS Radios on Cruise ships??

pes949

GMRS(General Mobile Radio Service) is basically now the high end of family radio. It has a better sound quality and more power than basic Family Radio Service (FRS).

You need a license to operate (no test but there is a $75 fee) one but now most 2-way radios has GMRS capability built in. The idea is that you can get a better range(very tough on a ship) than FRS. I tried FRS radios 2 years ago on the Carnival Spirit and they were marginal.

Claims of up to 18 miles are on the packages but that is only if you have perfect conditions and a clear line of site.

Reality on any GMRS Radio is about a mile or two. Hopefully it will be sufficient on the Crown.

BTW... I called Princess today and they did say GMRS is OK.

I was thinking of bringing my GMRS radios onboard the Crown. Does Princess have issues with GMRS radios being used on the ship?

I have taken and used mine on the last two cruises. Princess had them available for rent on the Grand. I think they were charging $10 per day for a pair.

We have taken our radios on our last several cruises. On the bigger ships, they had a few location problems. Our last cruise on NCL Crown, we had a group of 29 and found we could hear at least one almost all the time.

They are especially good with a group

Louise in FLA:D

Archived