North Shore Directions

jcsdirector

It seems that in the posts that everyone is driving clockwise (South-West-North) to get to the North Shore beaches. Is this best way? :confused: To be honest, we are only interested in the North Shore (Bonai, Sunset) etc. We don't plsn on stopping along the way unless there is something we shouldn't miss. If so, please tell me what else we should see. The North Shore is a must see for our teens in Oahu. Sorry if this is a silly question but my mind is swimming with things I want to be sure to get to, etc. when we arrive this week!

Also the kids want take surf lessons. I was having them wait til Maui due to time in Oahu. Anyone done the group lessons there with Goofyfoot Surf School?

Thanks!

The summer is when the waves are smallest on the North shore, often flat enough for good snorkeling.

South shore has some good waves in Summer though. They were pretty big last week. However you really don't want big waves if you're just learning, assuming you want to live. :)

Waikiki isn't a bad place to learn.

There are interesting and beautiful things to see all over the island.

You certainly can go counterclockwise. The advantage of doing it this way is that the beach will be on your right, making it easy to stop and go to visit things you see and to get back onto the road. I think it makes it harder timing wise for other things like food, etc. but if your main interest is the North Shore, then there's no problem with doing it like you described.

Goofyfoot in Maui has been reviewed by other cruisers here and they've had good experiences with their surf lessons. I agree with Mike that Waikiki is also not a bad place to learn if the timing works out OK.

Spleen

IAlso the kids want take surf lessons. I was having them wait til Maui due to time in Oahu. Anyone done the group lessons there with Goofyfoot Surf School?

Thanks!

The Hawaiian Firemen teach surf lessons and oh my goodness they are REALLY CUTE:D , so if your kids are girls they will never forget it!!!!:) :) Who would you want to rescue you but a really cute Hawaiian fireman!!!! :) They have a website. someting like hawaiianfire.com

Archived