Rome to Paris

Looking for some words of wisdom. If a cruise ended in Rome and you wanted to go to Paris what would be your take on the best way to get there? I have no idea on the cost of a flight or the time on the train. Have any of you done this? Thanks, Quacker Don

We are in a similar situation. We finish in Venice and we are going to Paris for a week. Originally we were going to use the trains but you need to change at Milan and then there is the hassle of boarding the train with all one's luggage plus arriving in Paris around 9pm at night.

We asked our TA for a costing for 1st class rail to Paris and also economy air to Paris using Air France. The difference was $200Aud more using air per person. Remember our dollar is 2/3 your dollar so it would only be around $140US p.p. We are now going by air as it is easier and quicker.

Jennie

The price of the train fare is usually higher for trips over 4 hours or so, and that's in addition to the time you save, so our rule has been to take the cheap flights for train rides that would be over 4-5 hours.

I've used this site for cheap flights (under $100) in Europe for years and have been thrilled with the prices and options: http://www.aerfares.net/v11/index.php.

This one is also good, and you can use it for fares other than the flightpass, which is really limited in flight times: http://www.europebyair.com/eba/English_us/default.jsp.

As previously note and discussed in a previous thread on this site, check the luggage restrictions. We've been over the luggage limitations (in number of pieces allowed and luggage weight) on the flights inside Europe many, many times and were only charged for the overage one time. The charge was $154, and that was still less than the cost of the train fare and was much less than booking our flights with our tickets out of the U.S. (using the stopover or other methods).

Happy traveling,

Donna

Thanks all for the "words of wisdom"! Looks like the air is the way to go. I'm sure there could be a luggage weight problem but that could be taken care of one way or another. Quacker Don

Thanks Donna and Mike for your great information. I looked up Volare air and there is a special on at the moment but I wonder what sort of airline they are. Have you used them at all before?

The baggage limitation is 15kg per person with 5Euros for the first 5kg and then 2Euros for the next. That would be fine as we usually have only 22kg - that is all we are allowed on Australian flights.

I suppose they are the same as our cheap airlines at home where you have to arrive early and there are no seat allocations. I am just a little wary of using these "unkown" airlines.

I would be interested to hear any feedback. It would be saving us heaps if they are "up to scratch"

Jennie

Unfortunately for us Ryanair does not fly from Venice to Paris and Easy Jet only flies from Venice to an English city.

I am very tempted to book Volare air as it is so cheap, mind you the fare is 29.99Euros each but with taxes and handling luggage charges!! it doubles, so the actual fare is 59.98Euros each, still saving heaps on Air France. The timetable is not the best, but I daresay where can put up with that. They do use Airbuses which is a plus.

Thanks to everyone for your great information. This makes the Board so worthwhile.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

We have used a few of these low cost Airlines in Europe and have never had a problem.Volare has a good reputation and went down the low cost route a few years ago to compete on prices with the other operators (Ryanair,Easyjet etc..). With baggage allowances we have found that if the excess is not too obvious they often do not charge (or even look at the scales).

Mike

Mike,

How about the hand luggage. They mention 5kgs which is fine but I am just wondering about the size. We have the Samonsite hand luggage that fits up into the normal 767, 737, 777, and 747 airplanes. Would that be suitable.

Jennie

Mike,

I booked Volare air today. The cost for two of us to Paris from Venice was less than $200Aud including taxes compared with $800Aud + taxes if we used Air France. What a saving!!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will have a drink to you all with some of our savings!

Jennie

Archived